Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I have it on good authority that, through CGI similar to that used on Armie Hammer in The Social Network, he will be playing both of the whales from ST IV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

That explanation is actually worse than having no explanation at all.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

AlternateAccount posted:

The first movie is basically inexcusable and incomprehensible. The whole thing clearly came into existence as a bullet point list of scenes they wanted to have. Then they just slapped the poo poo together with the most contrived and nonsensical possible bits of "plot" in between to push from one to the next. It's awful, and for some reason 99% of goons don't give a gently caress.

I don't think I dislike the movie quite as much as you do, but I agree about a lot of the plot points being contrived. I remember thinking that the movie was pretty great after seeing it in the theater, but subsequent viewings at home really make all of the warts pop out at you. I'm optimistic that Into Darkness will be a lot less bumbling now that they've established all of the characters and shed the trappings of the old Trek series/films, but we'll see.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Gatts posted:

Makes me wish for a Back to the Future style Trek movie.

To think what the Wrath of Khan ending could've been...

quote:

Western Union Man: Mr. Kirk?
Kirk: Huh?
Western Union Man: Is your name James Tiberius Kirk?
Kirk: Yeah?
Western Union Man: I've got something for you. A letter.
Kirk: A letter for me? That's impossible. Who the hell are you?
Western Union Man: Western Union. Actually a bunch of us guys at the office were kinda hoping maybe you could shed some light on the subject. You see, we've had that envelope in our possession for the past 70 years. It was given to use with the explicit instructions that it be delivered to a paunchy middle-aged man with your description answering to the name of Kirk, at this exact location, at this exact minute, star date 2247. We had a little bet as to whether this Kirk would actually be here - looks like I lost! (laughs)
Kirk: Did you say 70 years?
Western Union Man: Yeah, 70 years, 2 months and 12 days to be exact. Here, sign on line 6 please, here you are.
Kirk: It's from Spock! (reading) "Dear Captain, if my calculations are correct you will receive this letter immediately after you shot my body into space. First let me assure you that I am alive and well. I've been living happily these past eight months in the year 2177."
Western Union Man: Wait a minute, what's this all about?
Kirk: He's alive! Spock's alive! He's on one of those planets that's based off a western movie, but he's alive!
Western Union Man: Tell me captain, are you all right? Do you need any help?
Kirk: There's only one man who can help me.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Colonel Whitey posted:

It would be so hilarious to see Abrams retcon a bunch of crap from the prequels like midichlorians

"Science has advanced greatly over the last thirty (?) years. Now we know that the Force really is just a bunch of mystical mumbo jumbo."

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Harime Nui posted:

I guess it's bad to go to fanfictionville but it would have been a so much better movie if Khan had helped them kill Marcus and then just joined starfleet. Before you know it he'd be running the place!

I thought the movie was going in a similar direction right up until the point where they're on Marcus's ship and Kirk tells Scotty to drop him once they get to the bridge. I didn't think Khan would join Starfleet, but maybe help Kirk defeat Marcus then collect his frozen crew and shove off to parts unknown. This route probably wouldn't jive with the fact that he killed Kirk's father figure, but it would've been an interesting inversion of the adversarial relationship between Kirk and Khan and could've been a good chance to show that the series was going to take old characters in new directions. Instead they literally phone a guy from the old movies who tells them that no, Khan is 100% evil and they have to fight him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

piscesbobbie posted:

I STILL think we deserve a DS9 movie and a Voyager movie.

First Contact could've been a joint TNG/DS9 movie, or even just a DS9 movie on its own. Sisko going apeshit on the Borg would've made more sense than Picard's out-of-nowhere vendetta, at least.

• Locked thread