Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

ComposerGuy posted:

I never even noticed the lens flare until people in-thread starting pointing it out. I guess it just doesn't bother me?

Same thing happened to me, I didn't even notice the first time I saw it. But the second time going in knowing they were there it is pretty distracting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

Jack Gladney posted:

It loving floors me how obliviously sexist every frame is in light of that, though.

That's my favorite part of TOS, the hilarious horse-blinder aspect of its progressivism. I don't understand how the writers could have been so tuned into the racial and political prejudices of the time while still writing scenes like "a woman archaeologist??" *double-take, eyes pop out, slide whistle*

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

MikeJF posted:

Star Trek was sexist but still for the time amazingly sexually progressive. I mean, for all they played with the women as targets for kirk and emotional creatures they never did something like "a woman archaeologist??" *double-take, eyes pop out, slide whistle* or showed that women serving alongside men was anything out of the ordinary (well, mostly).

They most certainly did. Slide-whistle is an overstatement but there were numerous examples (the archaeologist being one) where the main characters not only exhibit bafflement at running into women who hold down any position of achievement or responsibility, the show rarely gives the women characters any chance to show *why* they are to be found in such roles. They end up being romantic foils or damsels in peril. Yeoman Rand makes the Captain's lunch!

The Cage is an interesting anomaly in that Number One was obviously an accomplished woman in a position of power (though Captain Pike voices discomfort over serving with a woman) so clearly the show runners had some awareness but by-and-large the show's liberalism was almost entirely focused on race or politics. Whether that was due to the writers or what CBS was willing to put on the air at that time I don't know (I suspect it's a combination of both).

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost
By the time TNG rolled around the reputation of the franchise was working against the creativity that should have been brought to bear on the material. After 20-some odd years it was a given that Star Trek was Progressive Television which meant they could get lazy. It was progressive because it was Star Trek instead of vice-versa. It most definitely played it safer.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

MadScientistWorking posted:

Except you are forgetting that if space is moving at the speed of light then there are rocks, pebbles, and pieces of dust which can ram right through your ship.

At that speed ram right through would be lucky. The kinetic energy would likely just turn the ship into a ball of plasma.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost
Star Trek V is bad because it was implemented badly by people who didn't have the budget or talent to match their ambitions but its heart is in the right place. Nemesis is bad because it's a boring cash-in on a dying franchise with contempt for its fanbase. It has no heart and no right place to put it.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

mind the walrus posted:

Insurrection becomes much more loathsome the more you watch it and think about the premise, and becomes even more loathsome when you hear about the original pitch and how the story was neutered into a terrible and lovely romantic idea of "rural simplicity."

It was originally going to be more of a Heart of Darkness story with Picard finding his Kurtz on the planet with healing properties, then looked like it was going to be more of a "split the crew against each other" thing with the relocation plot, then somehow turned into a bland pile of horrible when all of those elements were stripped out. A shame too, either or both those movies sound awesome.

I agree with your criticisms of Insurrection (though it's way too boring to be "loathsome") but having read Fade In my main takeaway was they never had a very good premise to start with and Michael Piller wasn't really up to writing a feature film. The Heart of Darkness aspect was hokey from the start and he was way too attached to a literal fountain of youth as the central set piece. The essay did illustrate how much bullshit you have to wade through to get a script written for a major studio film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost
I love the notion that an elephant seal is a regular seal that has earned a title.

• Locked thread