Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'd like the Klingons to act more like they did in the old series. The "we are HONORABLE WARRIORS" stuff got played out quickly enough, it'd be interesting to see a throwback to them as Cold War stand-ins.

If you liked the TOS Klingons at all, I cannot recommend reading John Ford's Klingon books. They are really great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Aatrek posted:

Arise, thread! 9-minute Dark Knight Rises-style IMAX preview with The Hobbit in December:

http://trekmovie.com/2012/11/14/breaking-9-minute-preview-of-star-trek-into-darkness-to-debut-in-imax-3d-on-december-14/

gently caress. It looks like I have to chose between IMAX and see this, or the high frame rate, which I want to see more, and miss the preview. :sigh:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Huh, there's a lot of London in that image.

Well Benedict Cumberbatch is English.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Pastamania posted:

JJTrek isn't Star Trek.

Thematically, from the half-black half-white aliens in TOS to Space 9/11 in ENT, Star Trek has always been at it's heart about exploring a specific aspect of the human condition, albeit with very heavy handed space metaphors that demand very little of the audience.

ST3 was about the bonds of friendship and family. ST5, aside from being an exploration about how totally awesome William Shatner is and how he'd totally win in a fight with god, guys, was an attempt to explore the line between religiousness and fanaticism. Generations was about growing old. Nemisis was about facing up to the mistakes of your youth, then ramming a ship into them. All bad films that completely hosed up what they were trying to accomplish, but they at least attempted to keep to that core principle of exploring humanity via space-metaphor.

JJTrek was a film about....well, from the three main characters and their arcs, Spock basically learns that watching your entire planet get blown da gently caress up mess you up for at least half an hour. Kirk's arc was basically him learning how acting like a petulant manchild will get you your own Starship by your mid-20's so long as you're really, really committed to being an utter shithead. And Uhura's arc basically seemed to be about how to loving management will get you your dream job. Welcome to your beautiful optimistic utopia, shitheads.

I loves me a dumb action comic book movie, don't get me wrong. JJTrek was fine action spectacle, and there's not the slightest hint from that preview for ST:IN that we're not in for more of the same. The only way 'my' Star Trek could happen again is if it was a low budget indie movie that'll still make a reasonable profit off nerds alone. I'm completely happy to sit back, turn my brain completely off, and watch the hot space chicks and laugh at Kirk and Spock's jokes and gawp at the big space zoomy wooshbang pew pew, just like I would if the first logo in that trailer was 'Marvel'.

But it ain't Star Trek.

As someone who has been watching Trek since the early 70's and really liked the first JJ Trek movie, I agree with this completely.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Cellophane S posted:

Bottom line is that there is probably no 60s show that is more progressive than Star Trek was

Was TNG considered progressive at the time? Seems a tiny bit more "safe" doesn't it? Still love it of course.

Well, kind of. Just remember that TNG was, at the early stages, pretty much Space Communism Utopia in the time when people had a raging hard-on for Reaganomics.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Madurai posted:

All the Star Fleet Battles players, who were cheering.

Tahahaha

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

MadScientistWorking posted:

Uhhhhh.... Didn't the first movie literally have cartoon space aliens from the animated series? Hell, your complaint is also rather dumb in that its space. If we were to encounter aliens they would be strange. They wouldn't be humans who have makeup on their faces. The technology we would use also looks foreign and weird. The reason why trek is becoming outdated is because quite honestly it really is to conservative.

I would also like to know what aliens from TAS showed up in TMP. I know the Catians showed up in STIV, but I don't remember any animated series aliens in the first movie whatsoever.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Going back to ships for a moment: the one thing I really liked about the JJ Trek Enterprise was that the warp nacelles were goddamned HUGE. Being that they create a pocket of space that travels at speeds far exceeding that of light, I liked the fact that they looked like they could have torn the ship apart if even the slightest small thing went wrong. Of course, it is correct that the engine room should have looked like the LHC instead of a brewery, since seeing giant cylinders of beer ruined the look entirely.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxZcxkFZZP0

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Krulka! :nyd:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

PrBacterio posted:

Just to be, in the spirit of the thread, a pedantic bore for a minute here, but Jupiter is some 600 million kilometres outwards from here. To cross that distance in "a minute or so" you'd have to travel at some 10 million kilometres/second, which is to say, some 30 times the speed of light. The impulse drive doesn't go faster than light so the only way for that to be possible is if there's some serious time dilation going on and the one minute of travel time is taken to be only the subjective travel time from the frame of reference of the crew aboard the starship. In which case there's still a lower limit of about an hour or so that would pass in the same time span for an outside observer at rest respective to the remaining solar system.

EDIT: What I'm trying to say here is for a starship to get past Jupiter in only a minute or so with only the impulse drive in Star Trek doesn't make any sense whatsoever, even in Star Trek terms.

That actually always bothered me.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Things that I found interesting that are callbacks that aren't necessarily "in your face":

Putting Checkov into Engineering. In Wrath of Khan, when Checkov is found by Khan on Ceti Alpha V, Khan remembers Checkov and says "I never forget a face". This of course made everyone wonder what the hell was up with that since Checkov was not in the episode Space Seed. It was explained later (and made canon) that Checkov was still in Engineering when Khan showed up and not yet part of the bridge crew. This nods to that and allows for Khan to still remember Checkov in the same way if there is a future revival of Khan.

Praxis is already destroyed, and it looks like Kronos (as I guess it's spelled now) is environmentally hosed at this point in time. This negates any kind of future plotline of Star Trek VI if they are going with re-imagining again.

I really enjoyed that the Klingons have gotten a big makeover. I have, frankly, been really loving tired of them for quite a while now. And I really am looking forward to seeing them in future movies.

I dunno. I'm an old Trek fan and enjoyed the 2009 film, but I'm still not 100 sure on this film. I enjoyed it, but I think all of my old knowledge of the original series kept getting in the way of me just being immersed in this one.

I do really enjoy that this and the last film were set ups and the Five-Year Mission is now going to be started.

Edit: Why the gently caress wouldn't Star Fleet just use those super transporters ALL THE TIME at this point? Also, I hate that Warp Speed means Kronos to Earth in about 15 minutes.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Also does anyone have any shots of the miniature ships on Admiral Marcus' desk?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Aatrek posted:

In addition to a Saturn V rocket and the Apollo capsule, the other spaceships were the pre-NX-01 ringship Enterprise, the Phoenix, the NX-01, the Kelvin, the movie Enterprise, and I think the Vengeance.

Yeah I was pleasantly surprised at all the Enterprises that were included there, including both the NX-01 and the XCV 330.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Of course this movie isn't really being made for old fans anyway, so little nods are appropriate but if someone hasn't seen any Star Trek at all besides the 2009 movie, it's probably a lot less 'annoying'. I have a few friends that are perfectly aware of Star Trek, but never really saw much except perhaps an occasional episode when they were a kid.

It's not at all unheard of either. I just found out on Saturday a guy I've been tattooing on and off for the past couple of years (and a member of SA) has never seen any of the Star Wars films.

Edit: I mean, I know one of my friends who I went with to the theater last night "got" the models on Admiral Marcus' desk, but I'm sure that a lot of people in the theater didn't.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Also, I just want to say that I honestly like that Abrams is continuing the theme of "Kirk bangs space babes constantly".

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

BulletRiddled posted:

The movie was fun, but it just cements in my mind that cannon and continuity are absolute plagues in sci-fi series and almost always get in the way of telling a good story. Tell me a good story and explore an idea, and if it contradicts the "official record" or whatever it shouldn't matter one bit. I hope the next film gives us somethin totally new instead of just rehashing characters/events/species/stories again.

That whole Checkhov in WoK/Space Seed continuity error needing an official "cannon" explanation is a new one on me though. It's such a minor thing and completely irrelevant for the story being told.

Back when WoK came out, the majority of people who went to Star Trek movies were old school fans, so yeah it got complained about a lot. And back then, it was letters in the mail and conventions since email didn't exist yet haha. Trek fans were really willing to spend a lot of time and money on letters back in the day :corsair:

Edit: well it really was weird since Chekov wasn't in the episode at all. It would have made more sense if it was Sulu who was aboard the Reliant.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 20, 2013

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

7thBatallion posted:

And V'Ger has already been encountered in this alternate universe. By Nero.

Was this mentioned in the comics or something?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I guess I'm one of the few old time fans who has no problems with Spock and Uhura having a relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

bobkatt013 posted:

I just rewatched the series and Uhura was hitting on Spock in the show. Well she did until her entire personality got erased and they had to teach her from the ground up.

Yeah precisely. It was a thing in TOS that Uhura would occasionally tease Spock a little bit.

• Locked thread