Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aatrek posted:

Dammit, this IMAX doesn't have the Trek preview. Le sigh.

That sucks. May as well go home then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Did any of the writers/producers in Generations explain why they decided to just kill Picard's nephew and brother in a fire offscreen? That always seemed pretty awful to me considering that the episode that comes from is very strong.

They needed to dip Picard in tragedy so he could have an emotional epiphany later in the film.

And also so Malcom Mcdowel could have awesome lines about flames.

"They say time is the fire in which we burn..."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

iSheep posted:

Trailer I saw at The Hobbit was different from anything I have seen online. Lots of static lingering shots on things like the deck of the enterprise and the captains chair. Absent of the "BWAAAH" music. Led up to that shot of Benedict's character standing behind the glass. All voiced over by Benedict.

Also when the film title came on screen, Giacchino's Star Trek theme played.

Trying to find it online, no luck so far.

It goes up on the 17th.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WarLocke posted:

Remember, Quinto Spock is about a decade younger than Nimoy Spock was in TOS. He hasn't gotten his emotions under as much control yet. I can totally buy Quinto's version. Especially that scene with the Vulcan Science Directorate or whatever. :drat:

e: Maybe not a decade, I forget how old Kirk is at the beginning of TOS and in JJTrek, but I'm fairly sure he's younger in JJ canon at this point than he was at the start of TOS by a good bit.

Yeah, Kirk takes command of the Enterprise earlier in the new timeline.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think that's the first time I've seen anyone say anything bad about Quinto's take on Spock. And I was one of the biggest naysayers when I heard he'd been cast. "loving Sylar is going to be Spock? gently caress that noise."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was a pretty great trailer! The music in the first have was wonderful for the voiceover.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Anyone have the non iTunes link? It's not showing up in youtube search for some reason.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I said come in! posted:

Paramount for some reason is removing them from Youtube. I don't think Paramount understands that trailers are meant to be viewed, to let people know about their movie so they see it in theaters.

Well I'll cut my dick off before I ever install Quicktime so I guess I'm hosed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Binaroid posted:

Considering they put that line in the second trailer for Trek 2009 along with Pike's big "Your father was a captain for five minutes" speech, Abrams is at least thinking about this. Of course, I was hoping for more about this than just Kirk going from zero to Captain in about 2 hours and a few scenes with Nimoy.

Hopefully the new trailer means they'll cover this theme in more detail.

I also hope for this, New Kirk has been thrown into the deep end of the pool and we don't even know if he can swim.

And the shortened line from the trailer is still very powerful. "..but that was another life!" gave me chills the first time I saw it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aatrek posted:

The TNG cast was actually asked about that possibility on the TNG Season 2 Blu-ray interview session, and they're not too keen on it :)

If memory serves, wasn't Shatner pretty negatively vocal about the 2009 film?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

I thought Nimoy said he wasn't appearing in Into Darkness?

So did I, this is the first I'd heard of him being in it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I really, really want to see a revamp of TNG with the cast of the Shield now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You always come through at Christmas time!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The last 10 minutes of Star Trek 3 are some of the best moments of Trek ever filmed, tv included.

"Jim...your name, is Jim"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Comfortador posted:

I personally like the scene where Sarek is making Kirk relive the moments of Spock's death. His semi-hammy "No..." followed by a tear hammers it home for me EVERY time I watch it.

It's a really good film, I hate that it gets such a bad rep. I mean hell, how many of us didn't cry when the Enterprise is burning up in the atmosphere?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madurai posted:

All the Star Fleet Battles players, who were cheering.

Well those guys are jerks!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have the book in my hands and April does not look like he's drawn to resemble Weller. Honestly he looks more like Rutger Hauer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

frumpus posted:

If you feel like spoiling the comic for me: Is April still introduced as the first Captain of the Enterprise? Didn't the 2009 movie make pretty clear that Pike was Captain for the maiden voyage? After 2009, April seems like a nonsense character to me.

One thing to remember, in the new film universe the Enterprise series still happened. So there was a ship named Enterprise before the USS Enterprise.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

frumpus posted:

You'll have to excuse the 'spergin here, but actually:

No, April is supposedly the first Captain of Kirk's Enterprise, 1701. Not any iteration of Archer's NX-01.

See this nerdy chart here from the link I posted above, and note the 'alternate reality' Enterprise, (the current movies) where April has been removed.)

So what says the comic about all this? It's not available on Comixology yet.

We are quite clearly discussing the new film universe, your chart has no relevance. And the comic comes out tomorrow which is why it isn't on Comixology.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The first Countdown mini contradicted quite a bit of the film so I won't be surprised if this one does the same.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ville Valo posted:

How so? It took place entirely before the film and was all set-up that you didn't need to be aware of to enjoy the movie fully. I don't remember anything in it contradicting the film though.

It also had Data as captain of the Enterprise-E, in a Star Trek Online uniform no less, which was badass as hell.

The origin of Spock's ship for one thing. And the stupid insert of the TNG cast was pretty pointless. And the fact that they felt the need to "fix" Data was really stupid.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Jesse Eisenberg as Luke Skywalker?

Oh god yes, please make this happen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

To be fair that was kind of cheating.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

penismightier posted:

Looks like this:

It's basically bifocals for the camera so they can keep things far apart in focus like this:

They still use them a lot but they're usually much better at hiding the change in focus, lots of digital painting and strong line breaks. This shot from All the President's Men uses the same technique but much more subtly:

Robert Wise went balls out in TMP so there are these moments were two people are in focus and some machines around them, and everything else is fuzzy. It's really unworldly, I love it.

This is the coolest poo poo ever. Where can I learn more about this stuff?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ah yes, the ancient Earth custom of "foot washing."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I perked right the gently caress up when I heard Weller's voice. Hopefully he gets shot up and rebuilt into a ROBOAdmiral. I mean poo poo, they both have Prime Directives.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wouldn't Picard be like, not born yet?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Styles Bitchley posted:

Could be wrong but looking at it now after seeing trailer 3, that the ship crashing in the international trailer is actually the Dark Evilprise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOQMXNwp8wo&t=115s

You can see it hitting Alcatraz, so perhaps intentionally crashed into Starfleet Headquarters?

That doesn't jibe with the dialog and you can see 1701 on the ship rising from the ocean.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He's obviously beaming out of his little assault ship.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LesterGroans posted:

Dudes in this thread bitchin' about Nero keep forgetting Bana's amazing line deliveries. He gave it his all and I loved it.

The cut down speech to Kirk from the trailer is still one of my favorite parts of the entire ST09 experience.

James T Kirk was a great man...but that was another life!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

They aren't "canon," per se, but they're written under the auspices of Roberto Orci. I believe IDW has to run its storylines / character uses past Orci to give him the opportunity to say, "No, wait, you can't do that, we're doing XYZ in the next movie."

This is true but the comics are still very bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blistex posted:

Hahahaha! Oh my god! Borg, timetravel. . . please tell me the comics were 99% Data shenanigans to complete the trifecta.

They fanwanked the Data/B4 plot thread into completion and the end result was a Data who was a huge loving dick to Picard for no loving reason at all.

• Locked thread