Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

7thBatallion posted:

Oh poo poo, guys. This dude that's been wanting this part for months, the one with the awesome phone audition? It turns out he's white. Can we get someone else to do this? You know, not white?

It's almost as if movies are a visual medium and not purely audio...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

People care because this is yet another case of whitewashing, and it's especially damning because it's on a franchise that used to be the leader in having people of color in roles that broke boundaries.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

computer parts posted:

Isn't having a character that's literally Space Genghis Khan in itself a bit racist?

Keep in mind this was the 1960s, this was the only tv series where non-whites played anything besides maids or criminals, if there were any nonwhites on the show. There is plenty of racism still in Star Trek (The Omega Glory, for example) but for the time it is very progressive. And none of that changes the fact that this is still whitewashing.

Also how many people have even seen Space Seed to see how Montalban plays Khan even then? This isn't some generic bad guy role, it never has been. Part of the reason this role is iconic enough that a producer who never watched the original series until he did a marathon remembered this role above all others to base a movie on is because how Montalban played him. Montalban was an activist for better representation for Latino roles, established a foundation, lost jobs over his fight. He also starred in another film series famous for it's allegories about racism - the Planet of the Apes sequels. He's not going to return to a role if it is racist.

As for the role being racially confused, in the reboot, the Captain of the ship Kirk's dad is on is played by an Middle Eastern guy who according to the character's backstory was born in Cuba.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

GORDON posted:

It isn't fun at all. How about just starting a new thread called ALL MOVIES AND EVERYTHING ELSE IS/ARE RACIST and confine all the extreme stretches of racist perception there, instead of having almost every discussion of every movie ever devolve into a discussion about how such-and-such is racist. Rational people will know to avoid the "racism" thread, and the rest of us can discuss fun movies without the guilty "white people suck" undertones.

Exception to the rule: some movies discuss "fascism" instead of "racism." See: the Avengers threads. Either way, still a downer and most people don't like it.

Gee, sorry movies are complicated. Maybe you can start your own message board where you tell people what to post so you always look right.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Honestly the only opposite in film I can think of is Bill Murray becoming Bernie Mac in Charlie's Angels 2. The only others are entire remakes of films to set them in a different cultural landscape, a la the Honeymooners or Are We Done Yet?

As for the opposite, even GORDON's ridiculous rules that it must be a real person instead of a character for whitewashing to count, it is easy to find examples. 21 was about a team of MIT mathematicians who beat Vegas, in reality the team was 5 asians and a white woman, in the film they're almost all white (including the main characters). The woman Jennifer Connelly played in A Beautiful Mind is El Salvadoran in reality. The woman who hit a homeless man and left him impaled in her car windshield was black in real life, in the film Stuck, she was played by white actress Mena Suvari. In Extraordinary Measures, Harrison Ford plays the doctor who finds a cure for a real couple's children's genetic disease, while in reality the doctor is Asian.

If you think of the common denominator for all this, it is money. Studios want big named actors to help draw in crowds, and there aren't many minority actors to fill those roles. Of the films I listed above, Stuck, 21, and Extraordinary Measures were not big budget releases (though 21 starred nobody and would have been an awesome vehicle for Asian actors) and Ron Howard has enough clout he could have gotten the Queen of El Salvador to star (this is a joke, everyone knows the King of El Salvador isn't married...) The only way there will be minorities to get big enough of stars to command roles is to give them parts, and that isn't going to happen when the directors and producers who can make it happen don't. You don't have to be donning a white hood to be part of and aid a system of racial inequality. And in a world that increasingly relies on overseas box office money to break even, that's increasingly stupid.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Obviously this is Hitler Khan, Khan's older half-brother who was on the OTHER Botany Bay.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

AlternateAccount posted:

Between this trailer and watching the behind the scenes features on the TNG BluRays, the problem with this poo poo is pretty obvious: There Are No Longer Enough Nerds Working In Star Trek.

Thank goodness, the last thing we need is nerds on Star Trek. I don't want zombies and internet memes and rants against fake gamer girls in my Star Trek.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Hbomberguy posted:

Does anyone know why the Japanese trailer had the additional shot with the reference to Wrath of Khan at the end?

Probably a free publicity gimmick, but possibly someone done hosed up and spoiled the surprise.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Is it really space racism if you don't want to gently caress an energy blob?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Twitter reaction mentions the score borrows from Horner's ST2 score, but that may just be another red herring.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

TNG's progressivism wasn't about racial stuff, it was more about ideas of understanding and emotions. Those concepts weren't as well thought out and so they make the show look more ridiculous when looked at in a critical way. If anything, the choice of actors was more progressive because they weren't going down a laundry list of ethnicities, the list was more archetypes, La Forge's disability being the only real specific check off. It did fall into the trap of white leading man, but that was pretty much still unavoidable in 1987. They did make him European instead of American.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Dudes, the Enterprise will rust and stuff and then Scotty will have to fix all that and won't have time to drink green stuff and get framed for murder. THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Starships being underwater is dumb because what if the Titanic hit the Enterprise???

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Hey, if the enterprise can't go underwater, why can the jaegers in Pacific Rim?

Game, set, match, H2Noers!

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Five both suffers from and is helped immensely by not having a big budget, causing Shatner to have to get creative.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

thrawn527 posted:

The villain is Spock's half brother, whom he've never heard of before.
He has the power to "take away your pain". Somehow. Don't ask how, we won't be getting into it. He's just a really special half-Vulcan/half-human, with one very specific non-explained super power.

To be fair, Spock had a different random Vulcan psychic power each week on TOS. And Sybok was full-Vulcan, so him being a mind-melding Dr. Phil is more in line.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

TMP had several awesome alien designs that were either never seen again, or only seen briefly during Star Trek 4.

Aaamazzarite - http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Aaamazzarite - Gold guys who make their clothes out of mouth secretions. Yeah.

Arcturian - http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Arcturian - Artichokes got admitted to the Federation and they are a bunch of clones that Starfleet supposedly used for wars, though we never saw them again.

Betelgeusian - http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Betelgeusian - Blue dudes with vagina mouths that predate Bolians (but post-date Andorians) No one knows what happens when you say their name three times.

K'normians - http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/K%27normian - Nothing normal about this freak with a goofy head. These jerks claim to have eight senses, which means a bigger brain doesn't mean you can count.

Kazarites - http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Kazarite - Yak Space Hippies who talk to the animals and talk to the plants, but eat yeast.

Megarites - http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Megarite - More like Megawrong, these weirdos are underwater aliens who inject themselves with drugs to live on the surface for a week at a time. Little known fact, Lance Armstrong once wanted to be a Megarite, but they just didn't do enough drugs...

Rhaandarites - http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Rhaandarite - aliens with big heads and glowy eyes. Not interesting.

Rigellians - http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Rigellian - These space turtles ARE turtley enough to get into the Turtle Club! Turtle turtle turtle. The big ones just lay eggs and the little ones control everything.

Saurian - http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Saurian_%28species%29 - You might of heard of these guys' brandy, the only thing anyone talks about. But no one knows the real Saurian. No one knows their hopes, their dreams, their disappointments at not getting into med school and being forced to work at your dad's family farm growing Brandy Berries under harsh conditions so Commander Riker can get that hot Ensign drunk enough for Beard Time. Four hearts just means that much more heartbreak...

Shamin - http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Shamin - More space creeps, these guys wear goofy gold masks with giant antlers. Discovered by some Irish guy who named their planet after him, and not the people who live there. Suck it, Paddy O'Ryan, you imperialist jizzstain!

Zaranites - http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Zaranite - These kickass mother fuckers needed more face time.

Also there were American Indians on the Enterprise - http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Unnamed_USS_Enterprise_%28NCC-1701%29_personnel#Native_American_officers

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

They're just trashing the Enterprise so they can rebuild it to look like the real Enterprise.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Cheesus posted:

It definitely was described in early Starlog articles and magazines when TNG came out.

But it always struck me as weak that it was never referenced where it counts...in the shows. Heck, they had a perfect opportunity in expository-happy Encounter at Farpoint for Data and Bones to discuss it in a line or two.

It was mentioned in the behind the scenes stuff because the original Enterprise went faster than warp 10. They set a limit on the warp speed to make it more realistic, though quickly bent that rule before the first season was even up. The warp 13 used during the last episode hinted towards a redrawn warp curve, but is also just shorthand to show in the future, things are faster and it's no big deal.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Astroman posted:

Well technically, the concept of a Dreadnaught was from the Franz Joseph Technical Manual. It had 3 nacelles, though, much like the Dreadnaught from the novel (which to be fair looked pretty badass on the cover):

Boris Vallejo's cover is the only thing good about that book. Like mentioned above, it's Mary Sue: The Novel.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A giant, invincible puppy is convinced that Earth is its lost ball.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

The entire crew is infected with a disease that makes them dance and must quest to find the cure past the farthest reaches of weird space before they all succumb to boogie fever.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Pops Mgee posted:

So umm if Khan's blood is magic and can raise the dead, why didn't he use it on his wife when she died on Ceti Alpha V?

Obviously the magic blood only works if you are currently white.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

This space magic clearly isn't darker and grittier enough.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Magic blood ruins all future drama in the series. Oh, is Uhura going to die of Space Rabies? Magic blood! Red Shirt eaten by cloud monster? Magic blood. Kirk vs. Gorn? Magic blood for both! Space amoeba? Reversed-polarity magic blood.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Yes, but then you have the time police on your case. Where are the blood police? At the blood donut shop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Great_Gerbil posted:

I don't disagree that the lack of minority characters in movies is troublesome. I do disagree that this is a discussion worth having here.

In this instance, it seems like a no-brainer to cast someone of Hispanic or Indian heritage to play Khan. On the other hand, it's a no-brainer to cast someone who can own the role. We know Benicio Del Toro turned it down at first, so they obviously went that avenue.

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't. I think their biggest concern was finding an actor that would be able to fill some big shoes. It looks like they've done that here.

This is the perfect place to discuss it because this is a perfect example of it happening. A great minority role is whitewashed simply to pack in an actor nerds cream their pants over (aka whitewash their pants) in a franchise that made its mark by specifically not whitewashing every role. It's also insulting to say that they needed an actor that would own the role, as if there are no minority actors besides Del Toro who could possibly play a multi-layered character like Khan. The choice to cast Cumberbach retroactively makes The Last Airbender progressive in its casting of Asian actors. You can't wave your hand and go "let's discuss this at some time and place that I don't have to read about it because being challenged makes me angry"

• Locked thread