Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

thexerox123 posted:

It always reminded me of this, more:

But there is nothing funny about that scene. It's horrifying. Willy Wonka is the scariest poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

microwave casserole posted:

I like how the time travel stuff kind of turned Trek 09 into a movie about remakes.

Yeah, the meta aspect with Nero as an avatar of canon-obsessed rage was the best. I'm hoping Into Darkness has a similar consideration of the nature of the genre/cultural context/etc.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Supercar Gautier posted:

I hope every movie in this series has a conversation wherein Uhura exclaims "an alternate reality!" as soon as the crew figure out what's going on. Shot as close to identically as possible.

Don't even reshoot it. Just insert the same shot into each film.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

Good point, I suppose. I know I'm being ignorant of the realities of the business of filmmaking, but if that was the script that I HAD to stick to, I'd rather just shut the whole thing down and wait until we could do some actual writing rather than turn in what we got. Oh well.

In a world without schedules and production costs, JJ Abrams probably would have liked to delay photography as well. But the strike happened far enough into production that the cast and crew would already have other projects lined up after ST was scheduled to wrap, so delays to principle photography wouldn't be an option, and the studio would already have sunk quite a lot of cash into the film, so there's no way they'd just release everyone from their contracts and let the film disappear because JJ didn't like the current draft.

I do think they did a phenomenal job, given the situation. Especially the editing team, which managed to smooth out a poo poo-ton of hiccups and create a film that works really well viscerally.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I have no issue with the action of the scene. Eve changing, Kirk peaking, but Eve just coolly telling him to turn around works well as development for the characters and, as written, does have all the themes that SMG and others were detailing.

However, according to the general rules of editing (which JJ normally follows extremely consistently) it's a really weird place to cut to a wide one-shot, especially if Eve's character is supposed to have the upper hand. I'd also never light a shot like that unless the main point of the image was showing off the curve of the breast and muscle tone. There are other things going on with the shot (largely thanks to Eve's body language) which others have pointed out, but those two elements are, if not problematic*, at least very jarring and overpowering. Audiences will pick up on the oddity of the edit and the light, even if only subconsciously, so it's not surprising that this is stirring a lot of debate.

*For my two cents, I'd say they are. However, it's not especially worse in this film than many others, it's just executed in a clumsy manner which draws attention to itself.

• Locked thread