Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH

AlternateAccount posted:

all the camera angles looked like poo poo. The bizarre flying shot of Spock in front of the science council that swings in from being rotated 90 degrees gets my vote as the worst shot I've seen in forever.

I like that stuff. We're in space! It should be a little wierd and disorientating.

Also, from looking at that big bad evil ship from the trailer, this one looks to be continuing 09's theme of original Star Trek vs Nemesis/grimdark later Trek. Can't wait to see it.

Forum Actuary fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Pike gives command of Starship loving flagship of the fleet to an academy cadet. Red Matter nonsense. Black holes and Supernova nonsense.

Think of it as good publicity for new recruits; because the whole of Starfleet Academy just died horribly and that might have put people off joining a bit. Kirk's a hero, the son of a famous hero, and proved he knew what he was doing by saving the Federation.

He's a figurehead for a flagship.

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH

api call girl posted:

Not being a serious "hardcore" Trekkie or anything, and only going by what's been posted in this thread and that linked imdb spoiler review, let me try to piece together some coherent ramblings on the Star Trek reboot:

As a more "serious" Trekkie I agree with everything you've said there, just look at the "evil" federation ship too, it's got design elements straight off the Enterprise-E.

They have the subplot about the Prime Directive at the begining too. In some of the later Trek (might be late TNG even), they have this ridiculous notion of the good guys letting primitive races get wiped out by easily preventable disasters because it's the "natural course", and in the opening for STID Kirk and Spock refuse to let a planet of tribal people die even if it means breaking that directive, which I presume Kirk gets in trouble for later

I didn't pick up on this stuff as much in '09 but it is definitely there.

The funny thing about '09 regarding continuity is that it's actually full of little references and details for trekkies to pick up on, while still managing to be, well, fun. And not at all tied down by it.

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH
Given that Khan in this movie seems to be more terrorist than shakespeare-quoting warlord, wouldn't depicting him as "probably sikh" be a pretty bad thing in itself? It seems like kind of a problem character whichever way you do it.

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH

Throb Robinson posted:

Maybe JJ didn't see nemesis to see how real dark plays in trek.

Nah, this film is straight-up about Star Trek (the franchise's) (descent) Into Darkness. Look at that evil ship from the trailer, it is, literally, dark and edgy. You have a shot in the trailer of the bright, space-age looking original Enterprise vs something that represents the morose tone of Nemesis. Which also happened in 09 too.

This one goes further still by the looks of the spoilers. The bad guys being Section 31, who basically say "We've been around since Kirk, doing all that nasty stuff you thought humanity was better than" in the name of gritty realism.

Forum Actuary fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 30, 2013

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH
If the show was dependent on vocal internet Trekkies to survive, then it was already a lost cause.

I do remember not really being interested in it at the time though. Takei was doing a campaign to get an Excelsior series made after Voyager and I would much rather have had that. :(

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH

AlternateAccount posted:

I don't see the need to assign cosmic meaning to it or any real metaphorical significance other than "the future is shiny."

But there is a lot of meaning in JJ making the future "bright". Trek '09 came at a time when all major Sci-fi (Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica*, Stargate) was obsessed with being dark, brooding, moody, gritty, "realistic", and so on, while Abram's going "But I love the idea that the future was so bright it couldn't be contained in the frame." is like a direct responce to that.

Trek '09 and this film play around with these ideas a lot. The over the top brightness is constrast with the over the top darkness of things like Nero's silly monster ship.

*Not to knock the show

Forum Actuary fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 9, 2013

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH

7thBatallion posted:

Wait. But the whale probe...

But that has the happened yet...

Old Spock will just park his ship by earth and blast whale song for a couple of days, no problem.

Not sure what they'd do about V'ger though.

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH

forever gold posted:

But forgettable Star Trek > Abrams' Star Trek.

But it wasn't just forgettable, it killed Star Trek.

Compared to now, where it's popular with a whole load of demographics who otherwise wouldn't be interested.

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH
Nice detail that's probably relevent to future stories: Praxis has already exploded in this timeline, and the Klingons don't seem to have much problem with that, meaning they'll have to find an another way to peace

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH

Gau posted:

When they showed Kronos, you can see a broken moon in orbit. I know the timing is off, but maybe the Klingons had their crisis earlier in this timeline?

Either they over mined sooner to make up for the fleet they lost (mentioned in 09'), or as part of the arms race caused by Nero showing up with a massive monster ship.

There's also the deleted scenes which show they had the Nerada for like twenty years, so they probably mined the poo poo out of Praxis with that.

I think the implication is it didn't ruin Kronos this time, just rendered some of the regions uninhabitable (like the one we saw)

1st AD posted:

I think it's interesting that they chose to clad the Starfleet Admirals in a kind of monochrome scheme and the death of Pike and Marcus represent a kind of death of the militarized Starfleet (and yes I do realize those costumes are basically rehashed TMP ones). Even Marcus' ship is just a blacker and grayer version of the Enterprise, and with the demise of both it allows Kirk and party to pave their way towards a more colorful and peaceful future, one that's as bright and as colorful (and hopeful/not cynical) like TOS itself.

The crew on the Vengeance are wearing grey/dark uniforms too

Forum Actuary fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH
While it's not really relevent to the racism discussion, I was a little dissapointed they had Khan just go crazy at the end. I liked the idea that given different circumstances, Kirk and Khan could work together to beat down someone who'd screwed them both.
And then part ways amicably.

Funny thing is re: race, they could conceivably retcon this in a future film and just have it be that Harrison decided to use Khan's name for some reason.

• Locked thread