Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Gary Mitchell as the baddie could be fun, but just rehashing that episode would be kind of lazy. Did they ever explain (in the episode) how they managed to get to the very edge of the galaxy? The brush with the galactic barrier is what made Mitchell a danger to begin with (which, incidentally, was later retconned as a huge galactic shield to keep this thing called the Unity - think subspace nano-Borg - out and was recharged by Kirks half-human/quarter-klingon/quarter-romulan jesus child).

Oh yeah, and the thing at the center of the galaxy in ST5 was an exiled Q, for added shits and giggles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Nope, some of it's in the Q Continuum books, which are an interesting idea at least. Essentially, the Galactic Barrier was put up by the Continuum to keep out an entity called 0 who Q accidentally let into our universe and was responsible for the destruction of the T'kon Empire and the current state of the Calamarain. 0 also brought along some buddies who ended up in various TOS episodes including Gorgon, the Vampire Cloud, and also "God" from STV. The central Galactic Barrier was put up to keep his severed head prisoner.

Like I said, interesting ideas, but the execution kinda sucked.

Yeah, the Unity was from the Shatner novels and was a sort of Borg collective type thing that lived/traveled through subspace and the galactic barrier was put in place to keep it out of ours. Gary Mitchell's brush with it started a weakening process, to the point that the Unity could start popping out of subspace in our galaxy and assimilate/replace high ranking admirals and junk.

At one point Kirk finds a planet where klingons and romulans are living together in peace, then falls in love with a bones a half/half chick. Then due to some crazy Mirror Universe and Precursos shenanigans it turns out that the collective DNA of all the humanoid races in the galaxy is a sort of master key to the galactic barrier, and Kirk's kid's particular DNA mix is somehow the perfect one and he goes all Jesus and sacrifices himself to recharge the barrier to keep the Unity out.

The Shatnerverse trek books are legitly hosed up. Although IMO some of the Borg and Mirror Universe stuff in them is pretty drat cool.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

ApexAftermath posted:

The whole point of them is so the few people who just cannot stand 3D can use them and still go see movies with the rest of their friends instead of being "that guy" that will turn down time with friends because the movie is in 3D.

So why is he "that guy"? IMO it's more like the friends are all "that guy" for wanting to pay extra for a gimmick aimed at keeping people from bootlegging it.

But yeah, I would nerd out if they brought Gary Mitchell in.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's also not exactly the best era for sci-fi in any form. The genre has taken a major hit over the past two decades as the old guard has died/retired, and not been really replaced with new blood. Add that to the fact that there are so few viable sci-fi TV or film franchises today, and it's not a good time for those kinds of writers.

I mean all you really need to do is look at the original concepts for Earth: Final Conflict or Andromeda (coincidentally also Rodenberry-related) and then... what they ended up as. :negative:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

computer parts posted:

Yeah, in The Scifi thread people have said that "some of his stuff is interesting but he has a nasty habit of attempting to condone incest/the like".

Heinlein wasn't perfect? Why I never.

I mean, yeah, so he was a perv. That doesn't instantly invalidate everything he ever wrote.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Astroman posted:

Whether they go with Khan (my preference) or Gary Mitchell (seems more likely at this point), I just hope they actually intelligently play with the "rebooted" universe as an alternate timeline and not just "hey it's a reimagineering and we'll just redo what we wanna." Like they do make intelligent decisions that the changes we see all stem from Nero's arrival.

I thought it was pretty obvious from the first movie that with Old Spock (Spock Prime? whatever) around now Starfleet would want to debrief him and he could let them know about all sorts of poo poo to watch out for. Stuff like "On such and such a stardate the old sleeper ship Botany Bay will be at XYZ coordinates, this Khan dude is on it and he is seriously bad news" etc etc etc.

Since you have a character around who knows all of this future stuff and really has no reason not to share it, I would think the new movies could spin off wildly from 'canon' history pretty easily.

e: Like, he's telling Starfleet about Q and the Borg and the Dominion and poo poo a hundred years 'before' they knew about them in the other timeline. If nothing else this will change the UFP's planning about poo poo I would think.

I wonder what they would do about the STIV probe. Maybe they can just rig up whale speech ahead of time and have sealed orders on all their ships? "In the event of a huge alien dick probe play file whales.mp4"? Or hell, work on time travel early to get actual whales...

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 7, 2012

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Farecoal posted:

Edit: nvm

If we ever got "Star Trek: Excelsior" I would totally mess my pants. TV series set in the movie era with the semi-wet-navy military aesthetic a la WoK. But most importantly set on a ship that is not the Enterprise and doesn't involve the same crew.

It'll never happen though, loving thanks Bermaga. :emo:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Boogaleeboo posted:

There is nothing complex about Wrath of Khan, it's a pure swashbuckler with a massively overt theme of aging and death, and how we deal with that inevitability. It was even going to be called "The Undiscovered Country", just to hit the nail on the head a little more. It's not deep, not at all. The Kobayashi Maru on to Ahab, nothing about the film is playing it cool. It's a pretty good film, but complex it is not. Then again films don't have to be complex to be good, so there's that.

I was sad when I found the Transformers thread floating around and I realized those movies are actually deeper than my beloved Trek.

At least most Trek movies aren't poo poo, so there's that.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Farecoal posted:

This is a joke, right?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3507949

Read this and prepare to have your mind blown.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Oh, yes. Star Trek as I described it is something that lends itself naturally to a series, not a movie. The movies, all the movies, have just been... bonuses. Peeks of action fun. Which is fine and enjoyable, and I enjoyed JJTrek enormously, but it's the serieses that are the core of Trek.

TMP was probably the closest the movies came to the whole 'exploring the human condition' thing. It's just really slow and plodding.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

DFu4ever posted:

Nemesis is one SMG-esque post away from being considered one of the finest pieces of sci-fi ever created.

I always figured SMG as a gimmick/troll account because his posts always start out interesting but end up in :tinfoil: land. Do people actually read his posts?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Tuxedo Jack posted:

The best thing that Roddenberry ever did for Star Trek was to die.

I sincerely doubt we would have gotten DS9 with Gene still around.

So yeah, I feel dirty for agreeing, but it really was.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Ville Valo posted:

Well now I'm just hoping against all hope that Picard and crew show up in this universe to right the timeline and team up with JJKirk. Thanks a lot.

Wouldn't that kind of ruin the whole point of doing the first reboot?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

THE RED MENACE posted:

Buff Picard would kinda own. What we really need is Idris Elba as Sisko before he gets too old for the role.

I just googled this guy and holy gently caress I want to see JJDS9 now. :flashfap:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

sean10mm posted:

Kind of like how taking off from the ground probably isn't a big deal when you can warp space-time to move at multiples of the speed of light.

Except ships never inherit any of that, warp drive works by moving a 'bubble' of normal space (thus 'warp field') in which the ship is sitting/floating stationary the entire time.

:spergin:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

MadScientistWorking posted:

Except you are forgetting that if space is moving at the speed of light then there are rocks, pebbles, and pieces of dust which can ram right through your ship.

Everything inside the warp bubble is at rest in relation to the ship at the center. Basically the ship isn't moving at all, the bubble of space that it's in is what is moving and the outside universe can't effect it (short of destabilizing the bubble outright which is a Bad Thing).

At least that's what I remember from the last time I googled a spergy explanation of how the whole thing works.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

It's kind of funny that you use this image because I don't give a poo poo what magic technobabble you spout off, anything this close to an actual black hole would be compressed to the size of a pinhead in about a tenth of a second.

:science:

e: Plus they eject the warp core and somehow manage to not get sucked in when the ship suddenly loses power, you know, what with losing its power generation capability - although there's probably some :techno: explanation for that too.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Well, also, let's be honest, it's impossible to compare that to what should really happen because Black Holes Do Not Work Like That At All.

Fair enough, but however they work I think it's safe to say anything getting that close to the event horizon isn't getting away, rerouting the plasma manifold or not.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah, it was that bad.

Star Trek V was bad but it was nowhere nearly as lovely as Insurrection or Nemesis.

e: And even with it being 'bad', it still explored interesting territory. And as has been pointed out, it's probably the closest the movie franchise has come to emulating the 'spirit' of TOS.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

It worries me you say Quinto nailed Spock again, because I thought he was terrible at it the last time around.

Remember, Quinto Spock is about a decade younger than Nimoy Spock was in TOS. He hasn't gotten his emotions under as much control yet. I can totally buy Quinto's version. Especially that scene with the Vulcan Science Directorate or whatever. :drat:

e: Maybe not a decade, I forget how old Kirk is at the beginning of TOS and in JJTrek, but I'm fairly sure he's younger in JJ canon at this point than he was at the start of TOS by a good bit.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Astroman posted:

He also probably was never on that colony under Kodos

Is this actually a thing? The only time I remember this being mentioned was in Academy - Collision Course (I know, I know, I'm a sucker for the Reeves-Stevens books) where they dip into it about how little Jim was there as a glorified boy scout trip thing and some alien mold kills off the colony food supply so a guy calling himself Kodos murders most of the adults using indoctrinated teens and all this stuff. The rest of the book strays pretty far from typically accepted canon though, so I had no idea whether that's the 'official' Kodos thing.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

The "official" Kodos thing is straight out of the TOS episode "The Conscience of the King." Good episode, you should watch it.

drat how have I never seen this episode? My Trek-fu is weak. :negative:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Baron Bifford posted:

(if you're so smart, why aren't YOU the leader of the free world?).

Because he doesn't have the money to buy his way into the position.

Ferengi supremacy :wink:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Frankly, I want him to reprise his previous role; Alex "RoboCop" Murphy. There's no reason to do anything else.

He could be a clone of that Terra Prime guy he played in Enterprise. :downs:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Something I noticed in the Into Darkness trailer when I went to see Oblivion (go see this movie) today:

In the scene right after Cumberbatch unloads on that meeting room, when you see a close-up of him in that helicopter thing, there are some golden light-wave-things around his face/head. In the youtube videos I thought they were maybe just reflections or some kind of heads-up display, but seeing them on the big screen they were much more obviously not just that.

I wonder if it's some sort of personal holograph costume thing or something similar.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Saw this last night. I thought most of the homages were pretty good, except for one notable one that felt out of place:

I get what they were trying for with Spock doing the 'KHAAAAAAAN' bit, but I think it would have come across better if he hadn't let it rip right at the door - it just felt like it was strong-armed in there for nostalgia. Now, instead if he had started silently to lose his poo poo when Kirk died, then we have the scene where they locate Khan and Spock beams down, looks over and spots him, then goes 'KHAAAAAAN!' and the ensuing chase/fight is just him cutting loving loose, no Vulcan logic or control, just augmented human versus stronger-than-human half-alien. Yeah, where's my money Abrams?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

She might feel something is off, or she developed that ability due to her time near the Nexus.

I always thought that was her (retconned) deal? That being in the Nexus, then leaving it, left her 'connected' to all the other versions of her who had been in there, and that explained her weird intuition stuff.

Although that doesn't explain why Soren didn't have something similar going on.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Still I forget do they ever explain why she was on Earth hanging with Mark Twain?

IIRC that was before Generations when her character was just a nebulous incredibly knowledgable alien who may or may not have been around for centuries and/or is immortal *wink wink*.

Remember how Q reacted to her?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Medoken posted:

I simply can't enjoy a movie that abandons its own sense of consequence so cheaply.

I can't agree with all of your post. Pike was in the conference room because Kirk screwed up and got his ship taken away. Kirk is responsible for him being there in the first place, and while maybe he's not technically responsible for Pike dying (since Khan pulled the trigger) it's obviously still a loss and blow to him.

The other thing, yeah I agree. But I can't see how they did the movie they did and not have to resort to something like that at the end.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

monster on a stick posted:

Hold on... I thought Scotty quit because he didn't know what was in the torpedoes and whether they were safe to fire or not; he wanted to open one up to make sure it wouldn't threaten the Enterprise. Am I misremembering?

That was his stated complaint; but looked at another way it's just an excuse for him to try to hit the brakes before Kirk goes off to start a war with the Klingons.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They kind of did - only in a Voyager episode. The ship got caught in a planet's magnetosphere, and noticed that time accelerated on the planet below. Turns out, the planet's entire civilization revolved around the "Skyship" as a pseudo-deity, since every attempt the crew made to extricate itself caused pretty powerful earthquakes on the planet, so they evolved *around* the difficulties. Ultimately, the civilization evolves to Warp capability and perhaps even beyond what humans were capable of at the time. It was sort of chintzy at times, but it was a good episode.

What episode is this so I can watch it without exposing myself to the rest of Voyager? It reminds me of a book I read once, Dragon's Egg, about a neutron star that develops blob life that puts together a civilization around the ship we sent out to examine the star and eventually evolves beyond us.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Medoken posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Kirk said something about all the important Starfleet personnel gathering in that conference as part of protocol in dealing with these sorts of situations. I assumed Pike would have been present even if he wasn't commanding the Enterprise since he was an Admiral stationed on Earth.

It was the captains and execs of all the nearby starships (plus Admiral Robocop), I'm pretty sure he explicitly said that, right before he went off about them running Khan to ground. If Kirk hadn't hosed up with the native people, he'd be there as the captain of the Enterprise and Pike would have no reason to be there at all.

Medoken posted:

While I'm sure Kirk has learned something from his escapades, the impact is lessened rather extensively when he gets to continue galavanting around the quadrant banging green women and hanging out with Spock and crew.

If Kirk had stayed dead there would have been no consequences - dead men don't learn things. He had absolutely no way to survive going in (even if the audience knew it was coming) so saying it wasn't a sacrifice because he's magically healed afterwards is just petty. Kirk expected to die, he did it anyway, and then he died. And now he'll remember dying.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 16, 2013

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Skwirl posted:

I think most of the outcry is that previously he was portrayed by Ricardo Montalban, he was always supposed to be a mixed race character, given his origin as a product of genetic manipulation and eugenics. But the idea of an attempt at "the perfect" or "the superior" man being white rubs people the wrong way.

Are we not spoilering this anymore? Fixed in the quote just to be safe.

It doesn't help that with how loving crazy people are nowadays, if you actually got a mixed-race actor to play Khan and then had him strafe the good guys' building and crash a ship into London they'd flip their loving lids about Space Al Quaida or whateverthefuck.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Medoken posted:

In the end, I guess I'm being a huge lit/trek nerd about this, and probably overblowing some of these issues. But this is the big issue that has kept me from liking the movie.

You and me both. It's why I think that the main pitfall of both Trek and Wars is that they insist on focusing on the same characters over and over and over. What Trek really needs now is a sin-off (Star Trek: Excelsior :gay:) or an anthology show (different ship/crew each week, you could even do merchant shipsor a research base or klingons/romulans/etc, think Outer Limits).

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

He only crushed the Admiral's head, but I swear, I thought he was going to crush Spock's head at one point too when he had his hands around it :stonk:

That scene is kind of ambiguous but I took it as Spock mind-melds with Khan and Khan freaks out because now he is feeling his/Spock's cranium starting to buckle; smart move by Spock to get Khan's hands off of him.

Pick Hard posted:

I empathized with Spock. Here's a guy, who can shut off his emotions to face death, watching his best friend, who can't, die terribly. Where Spock's sacrifice in WoK is sad and noble to Kirk, Kirk's sacrifice in this one is pretty horrifying to Spock. Quinto and Pine are excellent in that scene.

Aside from the horribly stuff-in in 'KHAAAAAN!'

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

DFu4ever posted:

I totally missed that. Definitely something to look for on my next viewing.

It's a really quick scene but the fingers on cheek type position looked right to be a mind-meld to me.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Asimo posted:

The Prime Directive as a plot device exists solely so that it can be broken to show the moral superiority of the heroes over authority.

Seriously, that is explicitly the only reason it is written in that strict a form. Anyone actually trying to write a plot where in a manner where it results in civilizations dying due to Federation inaction is missing the point. :geno:

If you really think about it, having a Prime Directive like that is a seriously dickish thing at all. If you have the ability to help people but you don't because "Oh golly gee if we expose them to technology they'll be corrupted" you are a loving dick, end of line. Stop hiding behind "Bootstraps" and use your hard-earned knowedge to make their lives a little less lovely. :colbert:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Blink of an Eye," S6E12.

I just watched this and it is unironically good. This is the kind of stuff I want from Trek, and I am surprised that Voyager of all the series delivered on it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

ShineDog posted:

Hang on

marcus knew there were bodies in the torpedoes. They were found out. Kirk calls him on this. Dude just had a really stupid plan.

I thought it was fairly obvious that Khan hides his crew in the torpedoes in order to smuggle them out (somehow; he never says, so I guess we just assume he's really smart and had a plan), Admiral Robocop finds out so Khan has to bolt by himself. Khan figures Weller would have killed his crew after this so he bombs Section 31, attacks Starfleet HQ and bugs out because he doesn't have gently caress all left on Earth for him.

Admiral Weller sends Kirk, who has the red-eye for Khan now after him, with these 'special torpedoes'. I can't really reconcile this next part because I'm pretty sure Bones or Carol says at one point that the fuel cells were removed to fit the cryotubes, but Kirk is supposed to fire the torpedoes at Khan, killing him and all of his crew while conveniently starting a war with the Klingons (because they'll find the Enterprise conveniently sabotaged in their space) then he swoops in with his new shiny ship and blows the klinks to hell and is a hero just in time for the war he wanted.

But of course Kirk doesn't kill Khan or fire the torpedoes so everything goes off the rails and everyone is improvising afterwards.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

ColonelKlink posted:

The movie had so many callbacks you'd think I'd love it, but it becomes too much that the story just becomes a re-hashed collection of bits

You know what was perfect and immediately got me thinking "I want to know about that!" ?

"last month's Mudd incident"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Just saw, overall it was alright. Some thoughts:
-Leonard Nimoy cameo just to say Kahn is bad was underwhelming. Movie needed recap of Eugenic Wars.

I kind of wish this hadn't been in the movie at all. Not only did it serve no real purpose, but after the first movie we've firmly established that this is an alternate timeline. We don't need to bring Spock Prime back to emphasize that. Cut the cord and let NuSpock and the rest of the crew find their own way.

• Locked thread