Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Amethyst posted:

The script for "Space Seed" has dialogue to the effect that he is probably a Sikh from India.

To be honest the fact that Khan was Indian always stuck with me because they didn't just toss out an Indian name and a Southeaster Asia location but specified Sikh of all things.

I was genuinely confused when I saw that a lot of people apparently thought it was just some character with a nebulous racial background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Darko posted:

I'm not white and, once again, I'm saying that people are missing the issue entirely and focusing on the wrong thing like 99% of every SA racism or sexism discussion. The issue in this case is not one of purposely casting a white actor to profit more (which is whitewashing), it's that there are less ethnic actors in general, which is a problem with the underlying system in Hollywood. Due to that system, it's more likely that an established white person can get through to Abrams to showcase that outstanding audition, which is pretty much what happened. It is an annoying discussion because this isn't the movie to center around this type of side discussion for that reason, but people are using it as a jumping off point to do so anyway.

Isn't whitewashing both the casting of whites in ethnic rolls for profit and the casting of whites in ethnic roles because you "couldn't find" and ethnic actor? Both of those are linked together in an interweaving cycle of self fulfillment.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Role Play McMurphy posted:

There's actually some comic I somehow got a hold of before the movie came out that explains all this in depth but lord knows where I got it or what happened in it.

I remember Geordi designed that space ship. And I think Spock was going rogue to help Romulus and the other Vulcans refused to help him or something.

I don't know, it all made perfect sense when I saw the movie.

It still doesn't really explain why Nero hates Spock, other than general crazy. I guess all that Romulan propaganda about Vulcans and the Federation gave him a conspiracy theory fall back when his world was destroyed, but there's still no actual reason given for him to hate Spock so much.

It's just Spock trying as hard as he can to stop it, failing, Nero killing a bunch of the remaining Romulans in order to get Borg tech so he can gently caress up Spock and the Federation, intercepting Spock as he tries to stop the continuing blast wave, black hole, and then the movie picks up the story.

Really all reading the tie in comic does is make you less empathetic to Nero. Well, that and you get some nerdy cameos as all the TNG people show up in what are essentially Where Are They Now situations. Everything you actually need to know about the scenario is told to you by Spock and Nero in the movie.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Glitterbomber posted:

^^^Actually as much as I hate being the nerd going 'well if you read the tie in comics...' they are legit kinda good reads that really humanize Nero as more than the chump who shrieked "FIRE EVERYTHING" as his last words, if you are going 'wait Nero is a loving idiot', try to get your hands on the tie-ins. They do a good job showing him as a kinda dumb dude with a whole lot of very understandable rage feeling like he has nothing left to lose.

I did not get that at all from them. They start out humanizing him a little, and then he goes around rescuing government leaders to get secret codes from them and then dump them in space, uses those codes to infiltrate a double top secret Romulan base to force upgrades to his ship with Borg tech and then goes on a hunt for completely misplaced vengeance. The comics even make it worse because you see how hard Spock is working to save Romulus only to have this crazy dude blame him.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ApexAftermath posted:

So.....was there a new 2 min or so trailer for this movie at the Hobbit(not to be confused with the 9 minute IMAX one)? I swear that was all I had been reading about but since the Hobbit has come out...nothing.

Same trailer as we already saw.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

epitasis posted:

You're all being purposefully obtuse about what people mean by orange and blue.

I really don't think this is the time for a Florida Gators derail, dude.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Not to burst any fantasy casting bubbles, but Disney pretty much outright stated that it's going to be a sequel to the original trilogy, and that if any characters return, they will most likely be played by the same actors (Hamill for instance)

Of course, they won't say anything official, but it would not surprise me in the slightest if Luke is an Obi-Wan esq character in this new trilogy.

If we're doing that, then I hope we're following Lando's grandson and never once see a Skywalker.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Star Fleet has a very strict no take backs policy on acting field promotions. Once you give someone a ship, it's theirs until they screw up and accidentally let someone else have it. Just ask former acting captain Spock.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cingulate posted:

That's explicitly in the movie already though?

They left out what I guess you would call key bits of it though. They don't explain why Nero hates Vulcan and the Federation when Spock was trying to help. It also leaves out why Nero wouldn't just go hang out on Romulus and work to prevent the exploding star with his future tech and decades upon decades of preparation.

In the comic the Vulcans actually hold up Spock after Nero defies the Romulan high command to transport Spock and the components of the red matter there to save Romulus. I can't remember if the Vulcan hindrance definitely makes it so Spock can't get there in time or not, but Nero believes it to be true. He arrives back to see Romulus gone and the Federation there.

That's why he's blowing up Vulcan and proceeding on with the rest of the Federation, he sees them as responsible for Romulus' demise. He also despises Spock because he got Nero's hope up, causing him to forgo saving his wife and child on what turned out to be a fool's errand. It gives reason to his crazy that helps you understand why he continues even after finding out he's in the past and Romulus is safe.

In the movie it just looks like he irrationally hates the dude who did everything in his power to help. Then when repeatedly told that Romulus is fine, he throws tantrums and without reason continues on with genocide.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

thexerox123 posted:

Sometimes literally!

Man, being Chancellor of the Klingon Empire must be awesome if you can use the Enterprise as your own personal tilt o whirl.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mogomra posted:

Yeah, I get that people like a good foot chase in their action movies, but how do they get around the fact that they have transporters, and foot chases make absolutely no sense at all in Star Trek?

An electromagnetic variance in the atmosphere reversed the polarity of the shields which are up and can't be taken down because of a singularity inside the dilithium crystals which is causing a warp core breach made of tachyons. Pretty basic, really.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cellophane S posted:

Destroying the Enterprise in the second movie would be a big mistake is all I'm saying. I wouldn't like it one bit.

Everyone knows you have to wait until the 3rd movie.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Gatts posted:

What if it's Picard's granddad or granduncle or something?

The French are surprisingly British in the bold future of Star Trek.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

jeeves posted:

The blinged-out nacelles version of the Enterprise was "Starfleet's newest flagship" right from the launch of the ship... not due to numerous 5-year missions of awesomeness.

And yet somehow a total douchebag cadet who was about to be kicked out of the academy for cheating in front of tons of witnesses that he was a complete rear end in a top hat to gets promoted to captain of the flagship even with the old captain still alive. Oh wait, he was also randomly given a field promotion to acting captain for no good reason when he was technically a stowaway, which I don't even think chain of command would allow if Starfleet had any logic.

Well, Kirk did call dibs and then licked the captain's chair. Who was going to take it then?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Styles Bitchley posted:

Having trouble discerning sarcasm ITT.

The one thing I disliked most about ST09 was the weak villain element. With few exception I almost cringed everytime Bana spoke in the movie.

Almost all the trouble with Nero seems to have come from the strike. Nero's a pretty strong villain, they just did a poor job tying it together in the script they had. What they had was a few good lines and an info dumb via Spock, and that's just not enough to properly hang a villain on.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

AlternateAccount posted:

Because he's already been defined AS HUMAN+. Not as something foreign entirely. And there's nothing in the genome that says Hey, your blood cures death! Uhh, death from radiation? YES! Death from old age? SURE! Death from a giant space mantis shrimp punching you in the face? Yes yes yes! It's so patently absurd on any level and the chance that the writers of this mess have the chops to somehow make something good out of the concept is functionally zero.

So, is Kirk all dead, or just mostly dead? On the one hand those spoilers seem somewhat silly. On the other it's all part of some guy's clear hatred of the blasphemous invocation of the sacred Wrath of Khan, peace be upon it. So I'm pretty comfortable in assuming that the surrounding scenario is probably a whole lot more reasonable in context and without the lens of unbridled hate at cinematic heresy.

Hell, Next Generation did a whole episode about how magically bringing someone back to life can depend on what your definition of death is. Picard was getting spun up as a Sky God and everything.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

PeterWeller posted:

But that said, I won't accuse Abrams or the rest of the crew of racism over this. I'm sure that after BDT couldn't play the role, their calculations were along the same lines that got Quinto the Spock role: find a capable actor that nerds love. And maybe, just maybe, they agree with you and find it more affective to have a blonde haired, blue eyed ÜberMensch.

No one's called Abrams or really anyone else a racist. Whitewashing isn't really a claim of racism against individuals, but more an underlying nature of the system that needs to be changed.

Hell, it's not like they absolutely had to go with a Southeast Asian character, and shucks guys, all we got left at the top of our acting list is white dudes. Khan was just one of dozens of eugenic super men on board the Botany Bay. Why not chose one of them to be your villain? Oh hey, it's Wayne St-Pierre. Remember when he ruled the Americas from Toronto? Still passing up a chance for a character of color, but at least you aren't trying to pretend the most a man with the most English of names is the Indian eugenic ruler of Asia.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

bobkatt013 posted:

Do you think an English eugenic superman would not try to retake India?

What good is the Eastern part of the Ol' Empire if you can't eat your beans and toast while overlooking the Thames?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If a show sucks for the first two seasons, it's hardly the audience's fault if they don't stick around and see it blossom into a beautiful TV butterfly in season 3 or 4 or whatever season Enterprise suddenly didn't suck.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

1st AD posted:

TNG (and DS9 to an extent) came out in a different era of TV, the quality of TV writing was lower and there was less programming overall so audiences were a lot more forgiving. Also even though they started out weak, both shows were still better than Voyager and Enterprise.

Didn't TNG start out as a syndicated show instead of a network show as well? I'd imagine that would change it's needs in the suck vs great department so long as enough stations were ordering episodes.

Perhaps I'm an atypical Trek fan in that the only series I actually liked were TOS and DS9. TNG I grew to sort of like a quarter the time. There's rare moments of Voyager I liked in what I've seen, and I just disliked the entire crew of Enterprise. I did go back to give Enterprise a second chance, but it was the episode with time travel Nazi aliens. So the only other time I remember sitting down to watch it was the last episode, which was also absolutely idiotic.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

bobkatt013 posted:

It would be since all the stuff Riker and co did still happened. Also as Enterprise showed one of the Borg ships crashed and was later found by Archer and co.

If everything after the Kelvin changed, then Riker and co never went back in time and Q never introduced humanity to the Borg. Anything in Enterprise which required the temporal tampering of someone further down the time stream is thus no longer cannon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

bobkatt013 posted:

In Star Trek when they do Time Travel what happened happened. Also if thats the case then how come Spock and Nero still exists?

Because if the initiating act which changes all time doesn't happen, then time doesn't change. Since time has changed the time travel event that tossed Spock and Nero back in time must happen in the past even if such an action no longer happens in the future. It's an inherent paradox of such time travel.

• Locked thread