Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Tars Tarkas posted:

TNG's progressivism wasn't about racial stuff, it was more about ideas of understanding and emotions. Those concepts weren't as well thought out and so they make the show look more ridiculous when looked at in a critical way. If anything, the choice of actors was more progressive because they weren't going down a laundry list of ethnicities, the list was more archetypes, La Forge's disability being the only real specific check off. It did fall into the trap of white leading man, but that was pretty much still unavoidable in 1987. They did make him European instead of American.

And to be fair, people were also making a stink about him being a) middle-aged, and b) bald. People literally wanted Kirk 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Supercar Gautier posted:

House MD in space. It's essentially the same thing, but all the diseases are bizarre made-up alien nonsense.

How horrible would a 'Walking Dead in Space' show be?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

DFu4ever posted:

I want this to happen just because the idea of typecasting an actor as the younger version of another actor is endlessly amusing to me. Next we can sign him up for Gurney Halleck in a Dune remake.

Which is funny, because McAvoy was already Leto II in a miniseries version of Children of Dune (pre-fame).

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

well why not posted:

Funny you say he's awesome the rest of the flick, but if you think about it he actually gets his rear end kicked pretty much constantly the entire movie. He loses a bar fight, almost dies on the mining rig and almost gets straight murdered in the finale.

It's like he's still Shatner-fighting in 2009, while everyone else improved.

I maintain that the alternate timeline meant that his father never taught him the two-fisted punch, which would have made him win all those fistfights. That's why he gets beat up so often. :argh: NERO!!

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Cingulate posted:

But, I'm not even sure I personally dislike the brewery, I just found the Guybrush Threepwood scene there way too boring.

I don't know what this means, and I've played a Monkey Island game before.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The Captain's Shirt? :confused:

"Mr. Spock, I brought you this bar code. I hope you feel better soon."

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

FrensaGeran posted:

Tom Hardy was in Nemesis. No one in Insurrection went on to be a star. In fact I think they all killed themselves.

In fact, I feel like Insurrection was about the last time F. Murray Abraham tried to undo the Oscar jinx. It's all SyFy Channel original movies and the like now.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

1st AD posted:

Jesus christ thats depressing.

Apparently Salieri takes it in stride:

Wikipedia posted:

Abraham's relatively low-profile film career subsequent to his Academy Award has been widely considered an example of the "Oscar jinx". According to film critic Leonard Maltin, professional failure following an early success is referred to in Hollywood circles as the "F. Murray Abraham syndrome".[11] Abraham rejected this notion and told Maltin:

The Oscar is the single most important event of my career. I have dined with kings, shared equal billing with my idols, lectured at Harvard and Columbia. If this is a jinx, I'll take two.

In the same interview, Abraham said:

Even though I won the Oscar, I can still take the subway in New York, and nobody recognizes me. Some actors might find that disconcerting, but I find it refreshing.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

jivjov posted:

Good god, that is one of my top two favorite line deliveries in that movie. The other being "SPOOOOOOOOOOCHHHH!!!! SPOOOOOOOOOCHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!"

He really crunches down on Spock's name there.

"IT DID HAPPEN! I SAW IT HAPPEN DON'T TELL ME IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!"

Even better was his constant changing of accents and inflections throughout the film, as if Bana was constantly trying to figure out what character voice he wanted Nero to have (especially in his early scenes).

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Senor Tron posted:

Keith Urban nails McCoy.

I didn't know they'd recast the role; that's certainly an interesting choice to make.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

monster on a stick posted:

We saw it in IMAX 3D, and outside of the opening sequence and the credits... I really don't remember much 3D. I'm sure it had some, but it wasn't memorable - at least compared to Hugo, The Avengers, and Inception.

Put it this way: if I loved this film and was going to see it again, I wouldn't pay to see it in 3D.

I hadn't seen the film in 3D, but if the trailer is any indicator it's worse than most good 3D I've seen and you've mentioned (wait, was Inception even in 3D?); the film was post converted, I think, so most of the elements in the 3D trailer were just a bunch of cardboard cutouts running back and forth at different depths like a pop-up book.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

pyrotek posted:

So what is Khan's motivation for deciding to transwarp to Qo'noS in particular? I know they said he wanted to go to the one place they couldn't go but in what way does that benefit him? He wasn't trying to start a war with the Klingons, was he? Wasn't he just trying to get his crew back? Why not just transwarp to an uninhabited planet or some other place? Wouldn't him being on Qo'noS really make it less likely for them to go after him when he really wants them to so he can get his people back?

It's a good point, but I think Khan didn't know that Admiral Robocop wasn't going to be actually using the torpedoes against him and/or that they would be on the ship chasing him - might have been a temporary reprieve to gather his strength since Kirk destroyed his ship. It's flimsy, but that's how I justified it.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

thet0wer posted:

Question:

The scroll that Krik stole in the first scene:

was that just so the aliens wouldn't see Spock's dropship?

I couldn't hear most of what Kirk was saying in the scene over the noise and music and wanted to be sure.

It was to make the natives chase Kirk and Bones away from the temple, which was going to get destroyed anyway. He was stealing the scroll to draw them away from the volcano.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

gohmak posted:

Why? have you done a reading on that? I'd read the hell out of that.

I don't even think After Earth needs a super-esoteric SMG reading of it (as in the kind of out-there subtextual reading I think you're expecting from him); it's actually a decent enough 'father vs. son vs. elements vs. maturity' film on its surface as well. Without the reputation of Shyamalan and maybe the over-the-top cries of nepotism people whinge about with the Smiths, I think the movie wouldn't have been hyped up as a shitcake as much, and it's possible people wouldn't have such confirmation bias about it.

As for the Scientology parallels, I'm certain those work, but I don't think you have to necessarily translate 'a father and son learn to trust and respect one another in the face of a dangerous situation that forces the child to come into his own as a man' 1:1 into Scientologist propaganda.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Rabelais D posted:

What this film was really missing was a chess-like starship battle with high stakes, back and forth and real tension.

Instead there's a brief, very one-sided space battle, some stupid computer game asteroid base jumping bullcrap (WOAH EXTREME) and a contrived final fistfight that looks like it came straight from Attack of the Clones.

Someone said that it plays like a botched mash-up of Star Treks II and VI. I agree wholeheartedly.

Also, the torpedo plot was terrible, it was overly confusing and just a complete waste of time. I found myself spacing out after the second or third torpedo conversation. I don't care about those stupid torpedoes! Stupid film, stop wasting my life by forcing me to listen to people speak about them!

I have strong anti-torpedo feelings.

You're so torpedoist.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Exactly; it's not like people who get hung up on that detail can tell us for sure that Tribbles don't have compatible blood with humans.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Cingulate posted:

I find this unconvincing. The Passion happens in a completely different context - we have specific expectations regarding what happens in Hollywood movies with multi-million dollar contracts in general, and those that happen to be reboots full of call-backs to a previous iteration in particular.

Furthermore, I think it's actually God who's making the sacrifice, not Jesus - Jesus is the Lamb :) And don't get Trinity on me now.

But seriously, I don't see how my perspective on a story that is completely different to Star Trek is relevant here. Kirk gets resurrected within minutes of screen time, and you never doubted he would in the first place, it was a question of how's, not why's. The event quickly turns less into a scene about Kirk having died, and more into a scene of Spock being angry because he, in contrast to us, actually experiences his friend being dead as him being dead (and not just temporary dead), because he doesn't know he's in a movie and Pine has plot armor, and Spock then having to save Kirk by pursuing Khan. It's really not at all about Kirk being dead.

By that same token, however, I found the scene effective because Kirk doesn't know he's in a movie either - he thinks he's going to die forever, and when he says "I'm scared, Spock," I believed him. I think Pine and Quinto really sell it (until the KHAAAAN moment, which admittedly is fairly silly).

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Cingulate posted:

I'm not saying the scene is ineffective!

I'm saying that I think the scene is at least a little bit about Kirk being dead, because the crux of the scene is Kirk having to face his fear of death by actually having to face it himself.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Senor Tron posted:

Vulcans are an entire race of airline pilots.

Quick, someone better than me Photoshop the Flight poster ASAP.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Something I think really informs the strangeness of the Kirk/Spock friendship in the rebooted films is that they're also working off expectations pushed on them by Old Spock. He essentially tells them that they're "destined to be best friends," and so they're trying to play those roles because the future has told them they have to. Sure, they're also gradually developing that affection on their own, but that strange specter of prophecy hangs over them as well. I think that's a big part of their many conflicts throughout those films - they're pushed into this close friendship without having strictly earned it yet, so there are naturally growing pains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Helsing posted:

I don't think they cast Jeri Ryan in Voyager for her acting ability.

Which is funny, because she turned out to be one of the better actors on the show.

• Locked thread