Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
Oh this old song and dance. "The guy from Mr Mom is Batman?" "Starbuck isn't a chick!" "Bond ain't Blonde!" Who wants to bet that a year from now will all be hearing about how brilliant Cumberbatch and how his casting was a no-brainer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

LesterGroans posted:

Of course Cumberbatch will be awesome and you're completely, irreversibly dense if you don't understand the different between those three examples and the conversation at hand.

You're right. It is ridiculous that Hollywood won't give roles to genetically-enhanced supermen actors.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

LesterGroans posted:

Okay, cool, you don't get it.

My point is it doesn't matter who they got to play Kahn or what his ethnicity is. There'd be nerd rage in any event. Besides this may all be a moot point anyway. This is all based on unconfirmed internet rumors that may turn out to be bullshit anyway.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Tars Tarkas posted:

And in a world that increasingly relies on overseas box office money to break even, that's increasingly stupid.

Films with black leads who aren't established stars usually struggle overseas.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Geekboy posted:

I love Star Trek and I love graphic storytelling and that one panel has basically every reason I stopped reading comics regularly condensed into a single image.

Jesus Christ.

What's wrong with it?

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Cingulate posted:

What ship do you mean? The TMP refit?

None of the Enterprises really look decrepit or militaristic, including the Abramsprise. The only outwardly intimidating thing about them is their size.

When I think of a militaristic starship I think of something like the Sulaco from Aliens with it's utilitarian gunmetal grey hull and giant cannons mounted on each side.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

I like the idea of the engineering section being this dirty, utilitarian industrial space where the real work gets done. It's the execution that was the problem.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

I can somewhat accept that, but I have some trouble accepting that a Genetic Superman, who is regularly said to be extremely intelligent, would blame a fellow human for a planet exploding. There's round-the-bend, and there's genetically-augmented-pants-on-head.

Because holding a grudge is a rational act.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

I wonder if that was suppose to be an intentional callback to the ship battles in The Wrath of Khan.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

When we see the Enterprise (or whatever it is) crash land it still looks pretty much intact. It might be taken out of commission but I don't think it'll be destroyed. Especially if it can rise from the depths of the ocean.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

If you think think about this stuff for longer than five seconds, you're probably thinking about it longer than the writers did.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

alg posted:

I've never actually seen him in anything :kiddo: I don't really get it.

He's the star of a geek-friendly TV show and has a British accent. That's all it really takes to become an internet darling these days.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

LesterGroans posted:

Dudes in this thread bitchin' about Nero keep forgetting Bana's amazing line deliveries. He gave it his all and I loved it.

"Hi Christopher, I'm Nero."

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Gatts posted:

You know what, yeah. Having Spock put his mind into McCoy and then be resurrected by being on a planet, aged to that one particular point, and then having his mind restored later on...it's nuts.

That's the wonderful thing about Star Trek. Pretty much 80 percent of the plots look ridiculous on paper. It's the execution that matters.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Great_Gerbil posted:

There was a novel set before the Enterprise E was officially launched where we learn that Scotty came back from retirement to help design it. Then Kelsey Grammar's character from the time loop episode steals the Enterprise to exact some sort of revenge.

Picard and Scotty team up to stop him.

It was very bizarre.

I didn't realize that the Trek EU books followed the Star Wars model of giving minor characters with about 30 seconds of screentime their own novels and elaborate backstories.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

Part of the problem was that Trek started to be perceived as a "family" show, something you could let your kids watch (TNG and DS9 being in first-run syndication may have been a part of this- you couldn't be sure what hour they'd air in a given market.) When DS9 did a Risa episode they had to tone down the sexual elements and even reshoot some scenes with the actors in less revealing clothing/poses.

Then again there was the TNG episode "Conspiracy" which ended with a guy getting his head literally blown up, and then having a monster burn it's away out of his corpse. What was essentially a kid show suddenly turned into a Tobe Hooper movie out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

linoleum floors posted:

The idea that a star fleet admiral could go rogue and attempt to start an intergalactic war with a super secret star destroyer is some of the stupidest poo poo i've ever been asked to swallow in the star trek universe. They at least could have provided some tiny amount of motivation for the admiral.

It's not exactly like Starfleet admirals are known for honesty or competence.

• Locked thread