Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ODC
Jul 8, 2005

Is this sexy?

Barudak posted:

I'm a little miffed though about the giant ship that looks massively superior to everything else in universe but its not like I won't be seeing this movie.

Looks like a re-imagined Excelsior to me. I like to think that the Enterprise and other Starfleet ships in this timeline are a reaction to the Kelvin incident and were designed the way they were to withstand another attack from a ship like Nero's. They obviously blew it in "Star Trek" so this new ship is even bigger and stronger.

Alchenar posted:

Those look a lot like the Klingon helmets from the 2009 deleted scenes.

e: just watch the scene here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pchkWmhCMXM, I think they're the same helmets.

I like the helmets. It's a smart way to address the forehead issue, in canon or otherwise. If you don't accept Star Trek Enterprise as canon then the helmets are just a cultural thing that happened to develop in this timeline and we the viewer don't really need to know if there are ridges under the helmets or not. If you do accept Star Trek Enterprise as canon it still makes sense because the affected Klingons would want to hide their shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ODC
Jul 8, 2005

Is this sexy?

Blistex posted:

Khan at least had the motivation of revenge because his wife was killed

Nero also had the motivation of revenge because his wife was killed.

ODC
Jul 8, 2005

Is this sexy?
Great movie.

It was neat to see the NX-01 on the big screen, even if it was just a model on a guy's desk. The old Star Trek Admiral-Gone-Mad cliche was a nice touch and I actually didn't see that one coming. I had hoped they weren't going to go with the Harrison=Khan bit but I think they pulled it off. I had even forgotten about the whole Khan's blood->Tribble thing so I was briefly worried that they might actually kill Kirk off.

It really seemed like they were setting up for 1 or more sequels with Khan & Co returning at some point. They also seemed to be heavily foreshadowing a Federation/Klingon war. Given the history between Klingons and augmented humans that was established in that Enterprise 2 parter (with Section 31) it'd be cool if they ran with that plot line in the next movie with the Klingons trying to steal Khan or something to fix their foreheads/resume what they started in the 22nd century.

The amount of attention Carol Marcus got in this movie suggests she'll be back in some way too. If Kirk knocks her up between Into Darkness and the next film it would be really easy for them to have Klingons kill his son again. If they're not doing that then I think they want Carol on the ship because they want another named/regular woman on the Enterprise and she'll be a main character for the rest of these films.

• Locked thread