Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I got back from seeing the a few hours ago and my only real experience with Star Trek is the 2009 movie and the Plinkett reviews of it and the TNG films. So yeah, not a Trekkie, but I know what a Tribble is and I have respect for what made the franchise resonate with so many people back in the 40s, and what made TNG so great after it found its footing.

I loved the hell out of the 2009 movie. Sure it had its flaws, but the absolute perfect casting (I like Syler's Spock) and wonderful visual style made up for it. It wasn't a deep meditation on an ethical question, but I didn't need it to be. It was an awesome origin story, and seeing Kirk sit down in the chair at the end was wonderful.

So I actually had no idea this was coming out this summer until like a week ago. I had seen no trailer footage, all I knew was "Khan."

And I was psyched to see Pine's Kirk be forced to face the no-win scenario, see him cope with failure. I thought when Pike was telling Kirk about how he had gotten by on luck that we were going to get to see this.

But no, we got Kirk basically going through the same arc he did last time, except this time with a dramatic heroic sacrifice, and holy poo poo they really did do the KHAAAAN scream why would you do that.

I felt like the film was building towards a climactic battle with Khan that was a bit more nuanced, where he and Kirk would engage in a battle of wits via a starship battle and Kirk's gut and Spock's logic would play off each other to save the day. But nope, we got Spock and Khan punching each other on a fast moving thing miles above the ground because THAT'S EXCITING (no it isn't).

I am a lot less interested in Episode VII than I was this afternoon.

Yeah, me too, man. Except I am quite the Trekkie, but that movie was just.. it just wasn't Trek, it wasn't for me.

Turn around..
Why?
For no reason, because the only reason I'm here is because I'm cute and what is important now is everyone see lots of my skin
Ok..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This is another example of tropes being identified, in place of more nuanced analysis. There is a clear difference between how Kirk treats women in the beginning of the film, and how he treats Carol, who chastises him and demands that he respect women. There's a power dynamic being expressed in that scene, and it's not one that Kirk is on the upper side of. Carol's inclusion as a new part of the crew is the biggest sign that this new 'five year mission' will be very different from the previous one. Imagine the original series with significantly less alien-loving.
I thought it was a bad film, I did not like it.

Here are some people that wrote lots more about such a film than I can be bothered. I pretty much agree with most of what these guys said about it. They capture more why it's a bad Trek film, beyond just if it's a decent action flick (which you could say about almost anything these days):
http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2013/05/24/Star-Trek-Into-Darkness-review
http://www.themarysue.com/star-trek-into-darkness-review/

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

api call girl posted:

You're repeatedly writing fanfic to justify a reductionist/fragmemtalist take on the film fueled primarily by a gut level irrational reaction of "not my Khan". We get it.

No. Try this on for size

JediTalentAgent posted:

He's only important in this story because WE know he's important.

If people are honestly going to defend this film as something worthwhile, I seriously cannot argue with you. You obviously just have such a different set of values and ideas to me that there really isn't any point in trying to explain my point of view.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
This is silly.

I just didn't feel I cared that much about the Kahn character, for a number of reasons pointed out in the reviews I linked. Apparently Half in the Bag have reviewed it as well, if you want to take a look.

Did you really like the film?

edit:
Here is the link. These guys say a lot of things I agree with.
http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-star-trek-into-darkness/

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 27, 2013

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Some Guy TT posted:

So, having read the thread now, I guess I wanted to contribute why I decided not to watch Star Trek: Into Darkness. A contrast from the usual "my reaction" posts. To be clear, I made this decision before reading the thread, and only started because I heard that there was controversy and wanted to see what it was.

I like Star Trek '09, but something about this one rubbed me off from the beginning. The title bothered me to start with. Star Trek '09 was already pretty drat gloomy. Two entire homeworlds, and billions of people are killed in important plot points. Main characters watch their parents die brutally right in front of them. A guy's tortured into paralysis. The spaceship that looks like it came straight from our collective nightmares. The constant fear and anger that overwhelms every character's emotions, even Spock's. That wasn't dark enough? We need to go more dark than this? Really?

The next bit that didn't impressed me was the poster. I'd post one, but really, looking through Google image search they're all basically the same thing. Mean-looking guy with a trenchcoat wades through random debris and destruction. So, everything just really dark and depressing looking. I'm not even complaining about this "not being real Trek". I see movies like Star Trek for escapism, and everything I see about this movie just screams "grimdark misery". I can get that without a 190 million budget and the Star Trek logo thank you very much.

Then I read the Current Releases review, and, well, that was just it for me. I immediately guessed from the review's writing that the pasty white trenchcoat dude in the poster had to be Khan, because it was the most pointlessly stupid revelation I could think of that could only possibly serve to placate long-term Trek fans. I wasn't thinking "gently caress racebending" at the time (though having read the thread the argument fits), I was thinking- this guy doesn't look like Khan. He looks like one of those nerds that wears a fedora. And besides that Khan was very goal-oriented. He didn't flap his longcoat around stuff he just destroyed because he was a total evil badass. He only did anything because it had some specific purpose. Now, this was all just guesswork on my part, since I hadn't actually seen the movie, but from what I've read in this thread I'd say my guess was right.

(whoever said that Khan was a noble savage is an idiot, by the way. Running an empire that spans a quarter of the world is the opposite of savagery. Learn what words mean.)

As a final note, I really like this sentence from the Wikipedia plot summary:

Read that. Read that sentence. If I had shown that to you a year ago, would you have thought I was describing this movie, or a really bad piece of Star Trek fanfiction? Everything I learn about this movie just makes me more disappointed. So, that's why I'm not seeing this movie. Still looks really fun to discuss, I must admit, but a movie's in a pretty bad place if I want to talk about it more than I actually want to see it.

Lots of us are with you, don't worry. Don't worry about the venom some of these guys are spitting, you'll see it's a consistent theme in the thread :)

I'll post the Red Letter Media review for a second time in this thread. It nicely explains, at length, and all the sperglord detail you'd want, why this is a stupid loving movie.

http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-star-trek-into-darkness/

Hey SuperMechagodzilla, you called me out before about this film. Have you watched the above review? I've read some great threads and posts by you, man, but are you actually defending this film? What is your take on the review I've linked?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Hehe, you can do whatever you like. But rather than note and copy out everything that RLM said, I thought it was just more convienient to link the review.

I just think its a good summary about the problems and why I (and many others) didn't find the film engaging.

They pretty much are an authority, too. Plinkett hit such a note with so many movie-goers and partciluarly Trek and sci-fi fans that they're pretty well respected and established now. The last Plinkett review on why Crystal Skull was awful spoke about many of the things the mention with Into Darkness. I'm just interested to see if anyone can tell me why RLM are wrong and actually Into Darkness is worth $20 to see.

MrBims posted:

I agree with RLM (well, Mike) usually, and STID isn't an exception. But I still like the film and can defend why I like it. Is that supposed to not be possible?

Yeah, go for it. I'm listening.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

MrBims posted:

Because it appealed to everything I was looking for in a ST09 successor and had a pace that kept me occupied and guessing. The story can't hold up to scrutiny, but the interactions of the characters drove the narrative forward where the story could not, with an engaging setting made through top notch video and audio work that was enhanced by the performances of the actors I was interested in (Greenwood, Pine, Quinto, Urban, Pegg, Cumberpatch).

Is that sufficient, or do I have to spend hours of taping and editing together a video to refute another video in order to make my point that liking it is legitimate and not some attempt at trolling?

Ok, but none of that applies to me. I thought the pace was silly and prevented anything actually interesting happening. I don't care about the visual and audio work, all blockbusters have this now. Crystal Skull and Prometheus had excellent audio and visual work, I still think they were poor films. I don't need the best CG to be engaged, indeed super-duper modern CG is often a warning flag that there may be little other substance in a modern film. I thought the interactions of the 'comic book characters' (as RLM puts it) were simple and boring, Spock blurts out about something being illogical, Kirk just yells at everyone, what does McCoy even do besides spout dumb metaphors? As said in the RLM review, why even bother with ranks in Starfleet? Obviously the mark of a true leader and hero is someone that ignores all authority and take matters into his own hands when he sees fit. This was a major part of the plot of Search for Spock, Kirk going against Starfleet and the ramifications were huge. The problem when you have such flimsy rules and ideas behind your film is that when you once again hand-wave them away to facilitate then next tit-shot, is it gets really boring because we're obviously just in magical plot land and anything goes.

But yeah, obviously linking a well respected source with valid critism nicely packaged for your consumption isn't what you're looking for.

Go and watch the RLM review, I really don't see how I could say it any better than they already have.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 28, 2013

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Phylodox posted:

Why? I liked the movie? Why am I going to go out of my way to have someone convince me I don't?

Because a well informed opinion is one with influences from all sources, not just the sources you agree with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Haha holy poo poo this is really Bladerunner vs WoK. Ah Internet, where would I explore my nerdiest bullshit if not for you :D

Soundtrack - Being music you can claim this is subjective to a degree, but I really can't think how Bladerunner loses here. I love the WoK soundtrack, it's the space epicness that gives me goosebumps and if you've ever done the marathon of watching Space Seed, even the remastered ToS version and then kicked your home theater into full WoK-mode (dark and LOUD) you really do poo poo yourself with nerd glee. But it's the same kind of cinematic orchestra you'll hear in the original Superman movies, or have you ever watched A New Hope and noticed the score goes right the way through.. never stopping and specific music for each type of scene? It's brilliant but Vangelis from Bladerunner is unique. Not just the title theme, and if you're a fan of dystopian sci-fi particularly..

Play this. Right now. I defy you not to descend into a steamy, dark and cruel modern world. A complex world, not just one of spaceships and laser beams, but of people and feelings.. it makes Trek sound childish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9KAqhbIZ7o

Plot - WoK is great and all, again if you watch Space Seed before and do the whole 'oh Botany Bay! holy poo poo!' it's even better. But don't you think it's really eventually the revenge/space-chase story? I love the way Trek makes spaceships and crews so naval so you've got a guy sitting in the captains chair yelling poo poo while poo poo explodes around him and people die at his command. Yeah that's basically some of the best sci-fi there is (IMO) and you combine in classic war themes like the first officer dying for his comrades and the Captain swearing revenge after the bad man killed his son. Top poo poo, but it's not really that unique, is it? I watched Sink the Bismark! not long ago, one of my favourites and you can see a lot of the same stuff from 1960 in black and white. However if you read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep which really takes the whole Bladerunner story to another level (there is just a lot more going on in that book than they could fit into the movie, like that Mercer guy and the weird worship machine with the handles) you then watch Bladerunner and are amazed at how it's different, and somehow at least as good. Roy Batty's character, in fact all the replicants are such complex characters.. perfect yet also perfectly flawed. Spock dying through the glass with Jim is emotional, sure, but did that really move you and make you think like Roy's 'tears in rain'? I guess that's script too, but WoK's script is good, I'm more talking about plot and how Bladerunner is 'meatier', or seems that way to me.

I'm going to bed, I await eagerly the continuance of the most important of worldly matters!

lizardman posted:

You know, it gets overlooked because it happens so early on in the movie series, but The Wrath of Khan is actually a postmodern deconstruction of the TV show, or the Captain Kirk character as portrayed from that show. The concept boils down to: what happens when that daring, brash, can-do-no-wrong, young hero turns 50? What happens when he can't just hop on his ship and fly off at the end of an episode anymore? What happens when the lover and son he abandoned come back? What happens when an enemy he thought he could just dump on a planet and never look back returns with a vengeance? What happens when he actually has to face the consequences of his actions?

According to TWOK, the Kirk of the TV show was essentially an adolescent, and perhaps he had to be in order to be great at his job, but at the start of the movie we find he doesn't know how to deal with himself; he says he feels old, because of course a 50-year-old adolescent feels old. When Kirk finally faces the no-win scenario that he'd avoided his entire life and Spock dies from it; Kirk says he feels young. It's like the "life starts at 40" mindset: your adolescence and/or young adulthood has ended, but your actual adulthood has only just begun. Kirk finally grows up.

Mm, this is good poo poo too. I guess that's why I remember and am talking about good movies as opposed to the movie this thread was made for.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 18, 2013

• Locked thread