Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Mahoning posted:

Orrrrr, along these same lines, he's playing that thing that the Enterprise D gave birth to in "Emergence"

Nah, he's clearly a shoe-in for the role of a two-dimentional life form trying to make its way back to its home in a cosmic string. It'll mesh perfectly with the 3D Paramount wanted added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

So the Iconians are now basically the Start Track version of the Reapers?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

10-8 posted:

Something like how the Joker is hinted at at the end of Batman Begins.

If it does happen, let's hope it goes like that and not the Phoenix hint at the end of X2.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

A lot of things changed when they went into full production (even Kirk's name), but it's funny to see that yes, Shatner's shirt does gets ripped at every opportunity.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Tuxedo Jack posted:

As someone pointed out to me, the last scene in the Japanese trailer isn't only a visual cue to WoK but also has the characters reversed. Spock appears to be outside the chamber, and Kirk (or whoever is in green or a darker uniform) appears to be inside and bloodied.

Looks like Uhura's hand to me.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Farecoal posted:

Fist Full of Datas was the best holodeck episode, I think you made a typo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g5THKsYBpI&t=22s

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

MariusLecter posted:

You can also reroute power through the plasma conduits into the deflector dish and make a mean cheese omelet.

No, that's from another classic science fiction story.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Barometer posted:

I think that "brig" looks more like an medical isolation chamber. The kind of place a crewman might be put after he was exposed to super-duper space gamma rays or some poo poo. Also, the expressions they have don't really read as "captive" and "captor" so much as Cumberbach looks like he's saying "what the gently caress, Jim, I feel fine".

Exposed to inappropriate levels of solar galactic barrier energy he becomes the quadrant's smartest man. Solving mytseries and righting wrongs by day, while trying to stay one step ahead of the murderous Starfleet agent known as Ron Silver by night, his only companion is his redshirt bunkmate, who was merged with a shuttlecraft by an incompetent transporter chief.

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 11, 2012

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Young Freud posted:

You know, considering we now have "professional" fan productions like Star Trek New Voyages that feature actual cast members, I would kill for something like a web series with Jonathan Frakes as Riker trying to pick up chicks to satisfy weird fetishes that Troi won't perform.

Because she knows them before he can consciously conceive them.

I still think the best idea for a web series would be a sitcom featuring Miles O'Brien and the Kost Amojan possessing his wife.

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 13, 2012

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Conversely, the first time I tried to watch V, I walked away after the rocket books scene.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Monkeyseesaw posted:

Star Trek V is bad because it was implemented badly by people who didn't have the budget or talent to match their ambitions but its heart is in the right place. Nemesis is bad because it's a boring cash-in on a dying franchise with contempt for its fanbase. It has no heart and no right place to put it.

What is this Nemesis? Everyone knows that Galaxy Quest was a great send-off to the franchise.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

ApexAftermath posted:

Yeah man screw any movie that wants to explore interesting cinematic camera angles. Would you prefer the whole movie was shot in boring rear end shot reverse shot?

I kind of like it. It's obviously a funeral scene and I think that color grading adds a bit of solemness to the whole thing. It sets the emotional tone even more-so than without it.

Isn't the whole point of film to do storytelling with images? Do people no longer understand this?

You can't stay true to the spirit of TOS with digital colour grading. You need to do it with massive amounts of gel-coated light all over your sets. And that thing where you shine thin bands of light directly at yours actors' eyes.

JJ Abrams should know this. When he wanted lens flares, he did it the old-fashioned way, by standing out of frame and waving high-powered flashlights at the camera.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

The Kelvin being so outmatched by the Narada probably jump started Starfleet's R&D budget.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I would unironically want to see Tom Hardy's take on a rebooted Picard.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Yeah, I think the only decent Admiral who showed up in more than one episode was Ross.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

berserker posted:

010100000110111101101111011100100110110001111001001000000110011001101111011100100110110101100001
011101000111010001100101011001000010000001100010011010010110111001100001011100100111100100111111

00111010011100100110111101101100011011000110010101111001011001010111001100111010

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 8, 2013

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Ahem:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Cingulate posted:

Hopefully, here! Surely you people wise in the way of cinematography have more stories about Star Trek stuff?

In The Way of the Warrior, a feature-length episode of DS9, the writers wanted more ships than they could afford to do with existing motion capture techniques. Instead of compositing in ships from stock footage or reducing the scale of the battle sequences, the effects supervisor for the episode placed ships printed onto transparencies in the far background.

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 16, 2013

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I said come in! posted:

I remember that episode now! That was a real weird episode, where Riker gets a boner for all of the irish women, and the livestock.

And then vaporizes his clone. :v:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

korusan posted:

Happens in The Alternative Factor too, with the evil Lazarus's hilariously disappearing goatee.

I thought the difference between the two was the head wound on one of them.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Wasn't there an episode in the original series where the transporters were out, and they just ignored the fact that they had shuttlecraft? Like, straight up pretended that they didn't exist?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I think it was actually Shore Leave. Memory Alpha says it was produced after The Galileo Seven, but aired one episode earlier.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Well, that alien barber was actually also the human captain.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

The MSJ posted:

I'm hearing the Doctor Who theme here.

And I'm hearing Roger Troutman.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

When Geordi and Jellico talk about their days as junior officers piloting shuttles inside the solar system, Jellico brings up the 'Titan turn', where they'd would bank hard into the gravity well of the moon and slingshot themselves up to 0.7c.

So they did remember the no-warp thing from time to time.

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Lobok posted:

I don't quite get the "Across Federation" part. The Federation is about 50-60 years across? How does anyone ever go outside Federation space?

That column is broken. A ten thousand light-year gap, crossed at the speed of light, somehow takes one hundred thousand years?

• Locked thread