Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

fivegears4reverse posted:

And you can do that without reducing yourself to making blind accusations of ethnicity while discussing it.

I'm not saying stop talking about it. I'm saying you could do a lot better while trying to discuss it. You read some of the posts in the thread and you'd think that JJ Abrams himself sat in a dark room, surrounded by monitors with the shadowed figures of secretive white supremacists visible, hands steepled while he said in a gravely, evil voice "Call forth the British one."

I think the point he is making is that J.J Abrams doesn't have to do that for it to have the same overall effect. The continuation of whitewashing in what is a problem in Hollywood. He doesn't have to be an evil mustache twirling racist in order to perpetuate a cycle of racism, which is the whole point of fighting against color-blind discourse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

This is incredibly shortsighted. If you think throwing a minority actor into the role would, regardless of talent, would somehow be a good 'next step' in race relations, you are kidding yourself.

As far as we know an actor, regardless of skin color, auditioned for the role, alongside of other actors, and won the part. I don't know what to tell you if you can't handle that. Don't watch the movie, I guess?

This implies that there aren't minority actors with talent. Yes, fighting systematic racism is hard work and he might have to actually seek out someone for the role, but what his actions pretty much did is just perpetuated the cycle.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Now you're just putting words in my mouth. I'm not implying this at all.

quote:

As far as we know an actor, regardless of skin color, auditioned for the role, alongside of other actors, and won the part. I don't know what to tell you if you can't handle that.

He was the best guy that auditioned!! My hands are tied!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I have always been confused by the beginning of the movie. So Nero is chasing after Spock and they get sucked back in time. Then they see the Kelvin. Captain goes aboard Nero's ship and he tells him the stardate, and then Nero all of a sudden gets pissed even though he is back in time to a point where he can actually do something about saving his planet?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I enjoyed it the first time I watched it, but it is a pretty painful movie for me to get through on repeat viewings.

• Locked thread