Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Who's idea was it to fly the Enterprise under water? drat it, Troi, get out of the bridge! :rant:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Karpaw posted:

Cumberbatch did an interview with Swedish movie site Moviezine, in which he identifies his character as John Harrison. He also says that there was no need to do research on previous incarnations of him.

Benedict Cumberbatch via Google Translate posted:

I did not do any research on my character based on previous incarnations.

Benedict Cumberbatch in Swedish posted:

Jag behövde inte göra någon research kring min karaktär baserad på tidigare inkarnationer.
I don't know any Swedish, so it's hard for me to tell exactly what he's saying there, but yeah.

Trying to think of different villains that he could be playing is fun, but honestly, I'd be happy if he was playing someone we've never seen before too. Yeah, it's s Star Trek movie, but that doesn't mean it has to be something we've already watched.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

ufarn posted:

"behövde" means, basically, "needed", which is an important distinction. Similar to "besoin" in French. In other words it's probably a character with no backlog of information.

That's exactly what I figured. Thanks for clearing it up thogh!

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

My God, Bones, what have I done?

Exactly what you needed to. You took an ugly ship and gave it a chance for a redesign.

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 4, 2013

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

I still find it amazing how talented Robert Wise is as a director. The guy could direct any genre.
The Hauting from 1963 is still, by far, my favorite horror movie of all time. I'm amazed every time I think that the same director directed TMP, and The Hauting.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Pops Mgee posted:

I'd argue that this monstrosity is pretty pointy too.

I wonder why anyone would ever make a spaceship that looks like that. Every other mining vessel in all of Star Trek looks decidedly less sinister.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

No one ever said being a Starfleet captain would be glamorous.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

What the gently caress? Nothing in that list of spoilers sounds very good except for the bit quoted above. :\
Yeah, I get that people like a good foot chase in their action movies, but how do they get around the fact that they have transporters, and foot chases make absolutely no sense at all in Star Trek?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

I guess you have a point.

me posted:

Not my Trek!
:qqsay:

I look forward to seeing how that particular scenario unfolds!

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

MadScientistWorking posted:

That isn't a contrivance. Blowing up the transporters every transporter on Earth and its moon, and on every single starship around Earth and its moon is something so obvious to anyone with half a brain because of the fundamental strategic importance especially if the leading theory is correct and the villain is an augment.
I totally understand where you coming from, but I fixed that for you because I still think it's just silly. :colbert:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

The MSJ posted:

The tie-in game even looks like Mass Effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvTUhO3-cA8

If it is a Mass Effect clone, that's a good thing, right?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Screen cap of the new ship from the 1080p trailer:

I could see this being Starfleet's new big bad war ship after getting all but destroyed in the last movie. The saucer almost looks like Excelsior's, but who knows. Mirror Universe would be neat too, but how many alternate universe/timelines/realities do we need? While we're wildly speculating, maybe it's something Section 31 has been working on in the background?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

For fucks' sake, apparently the non-Imax 3D version isn't even scheduled to play in my city yet. I hate 3D films. :sigh:

I don't know if this is a problem everywhere, but around here, all the IMAX theaters only have like 2 good seats. Otherwise you're stuck with a kink in your neck, or you can't see the whole screen at once. I'd much rather see it on a regular sized screen.

• Locked thread