Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

I just think it's just a TEENY bit disingenuous to level real strong claims of whitewashing in this particular case. Everything about the circumstances point to JJ Abrams not being a racist, and Cumberbach getting the role after a knockout audition AND after the previous actor dropped out(who would be considered non-white right?). I just think some of the posts hand wringing about whitewashing in regards to this movie are a little over the top sorry.

:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Amethyst posted:

When Avatar: the Last Air Bender was cast entirely with whites, idiots posted in the thread that "Clearly, M.Night Shyamalan isn't racist because he is himself not white!" :downs: It's a completely disingenuous argument for a widely known issue and to write it off because it's coming from a director you personally like is to bury your head in the sand.

Nowhere did I say whitewashing isn't happening at all or imply that. Also my opinion was slightly more nuanced then "JJ is a good guy he would never do that DERP!" The example of Avatar: Airbender is actually a pretty valid example of it where I would actually agree that whitewashing is totally what happened considering how blatant is is in that movie and how much of a hack M.Night is. I just don't think it is worthwhile to derail the thread over this. Save the outrage for a movie that does it and clearly knows it is doing it and doesn't give a gently caress.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Amethyst posted:

Whitewashing happens because of deeply ingrained, cultural ideas that many perpetrators aren't even slightly aware of. This makes it all the more important to draw attention to.

Ok so what do you want them to do about it in this case I guess is my question? I do get the point of talking about these things in broader terms so that attitudes change over time and I think that is a very good thing. That seems like the only way to combat this, but I also think it really belongs in its own thread.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Aquelia posted:

Couldn't part of this be Del Toro jumping ship at the last minute and the directors/whoever scrambling to find someone? And in that scramble, finding that the best actor for the part happened to be white? If the entire movie is white people, that's a little more clear. But this is one character, and my understanding is that it isn't very easy replacing an actor that you already had your mind set on.

Nope. Racism.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

I was hoping the villain was Khan rather than the Borg, because the Borg was overexposed with First Contact and Voyager. Seeing a reimagined Khan could have been fun.

I agree the Borg is over done with previous Trek, but I think it would be really interesting to introduce the borg with this new Trek universe. You can play them more as just a straight and terrifying threat and get away from the stupidity(IMO) of the show and trying to "know the Borg" and all that understanding/co-exist peace bullshit. I get that is kind of the stories they wanted to tell on TNG/Voyager but honestly it's lame trying to do that with the Borg. They don't need to be understood and have a big alien understanding pow-wow. I would rather they just be scary almost unstoppable space hive zombies.

I think it would actually play to the strengths of the new style and tone they are going for with the new Trek movies.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Apple Jax posted:

They're still glasses I'd have to put on top of my normal glasses :colbert:

And, I don't suppose those glasses make the movie less expensive do they? 3D movie tickets usually end up being way expensive.

The whole point of them is so the few people who just cannot stand 3D can use them and still go see movies with the rest of their friends instead of being "that guy" that will turn down time with friends because the movie is in 3D.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

I remember one time they did encounter a Utopian society, but they were mean to Wesley Crusher, and therefore an evil, pitiable society.

Uhh if you're talking about the episode I think you're talking about....didn't Wesley basically do something as serious as walking on some loving stupid rear end flowers by accident during a game of catch or some equally bullshit infraction and these "enlightened people" are like "punishment is death".

"but they were mean to Wesley Crusher" just doesn't quite do justice to what is going on in the episode.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Aatrek posted:

Check out the Blu-rays, man.

FFFFFFFFFFF.....those are so loving gorgeous. This just makes my wait before I can afford the blu rays that much more aggravating.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

So.....was there a new 2 min or so trailer for this movie at the Hobbit(not to be confused with the 9 minute IMAX one)? I swear that was all I had been reading about but since the Hobbit has come out...nothing.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Oh man. This just shot to my most anticipated film after seeing that. Wow.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

ufarn posted:

Is there are very specific datetime for the release just like Superman, or is it just something like "evening in the US"?

There are no plans to release the IMAX footage for everyone as far as I know. If you want to see it you either gotta watch the cam version, or wait till the movie comes out.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

I don't really dig new-Spock either. The science council scene makes my eyes roll really hard every time, especially the way the camera's just like EHHHH IM GONNA BE SIIIIDEWAYS for no good reason.

Yeah man screw any movie that wants to explore interesting cinematic camera angles. Would you prefer the whole movie was shot in boring rear end shot reverse shot?

Polo-Rican posted:

Digital color grading is getting a little out of hand nowadays. A few of these (especially the overhead shot of the dudes folding the flag) literally look like cyan-tinted black and white shots.

I kind of like it. It's obviously a funeral scene and I think that color grading adds a bit of solemness to the whole thing. It sets the emotional tone even more-so than without it.

Isn't the whole point of film to do storytelling with images? Do people no longer understand this?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Polo-Rican posted:

If you seriously don't see the color monotony in those images I quoted, congrats on being colorblind / having zero design sense! But as I said in my first post, this is a hollywood thing, not just a star trek thing, so I'll shut up about it.

I guess I look at that trailer and think "drat, that looks beautiful". You're saying "no it's not, it's terrible because it is a trend in movies/posters".

Can you see why I would not exactly take you seriously?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Farecoal posted:

I see lots of blue, but no orange. Then again I've never heard of this orange/blue thing until now

Orange and blue are contrast colors. They are used like this because they go good together, and this has been going on for ages.

People might as well complain about the Starry Night painting for crying out loud.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Lord Krangdar posted:

For the record I think this film looks like it employs the trendy orange-teal thing in a more palatable way than a lot of recent films. That said, though it may be tiresome the general complaint is based on a real trend.

I just think it's dumb to dismiss something because "it's a trend". I find it really insufferable when something gets bitched about because it is used a lot. If there is something unappealing about it lets talk about that, but saying "eh I've seen too much of this, I now do not like" is so mind numbly meaningless as a criticism.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

redjenova posted:

Was it? I didn't necessarily get that impression but there's also no way that's anywhere near the climax of the film.

Yes it's the opening 9 minutes. Might be some more credits poo poo we're not getting, but that is the opening of the film. Same deal as when they showed the opening to Dark Knight Rises. It makes sense too. Open the movie by throwing us back into the world again with a straightforward old school Trek mission.

I'm sorry but anyone who thinks they would show a segment from the ending of the film 6 months before the film comes out in theaters is kind of stupid.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Holy poo poo. The enterprise falling out of the sky was spectacular. The wait for this is going to be excruciating.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Just locked in my May 15th tickets for the 8PM IMAX 3D show. This is happening.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Goreld posted:

Are those cryotubes at 43 seconds in?

I thought those were some kind of coffins from the attack like you see in the other trailers.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Goreld posted:

Why would a coffin have a window on it? Decompos-o-vision tv, live updates from the grave?

:shrug:

They just looked kind like the coffins you do see in the trailer.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Lets not forget that the director was a complete idiot. He thought that Geordi was an alien.

I'd love to hear this story. Is it something you pick up on from the special features on the DVD or what?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Has anyone been able to find more complete spoilers for the film? Google only turns up that angry idiot with the spoilers on Cumberbach's character, but what I want to know is under what circumstances does the Enterprise crash/when does it happen in the film?

DrNutt posted:

Hey, wait a sec. You're Australian, why haven't you seen this yet and reported back?

Yeah! What he said!

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

jivjov posted:

Analysis of the trailer seemed to indicate that Cumberbatch/Harrison/Khan's ship was the one crashing through buildings, etc, not the enterprise

It seems to clearly be the Enterprise falling out of the sky with pieces of it flying off at the camera. Unless the shot of the Enterprise falling out of the sky, and the ship crashing into the water are two different things but I doubt it.

Can someone put this to rest?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Great_Gerbil posted:

They are two separate things. Harrison's ship crashes, the Enterprise is in a precarious spot.

So what happens? Does the thing Kirk does that kills him get the ship flying again right before it crashes?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Well here's pretty much the full movie spoilers for anyone who wanted them.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Pioneer42 posted:

So to me I don't think it's fair to say that all people who enjoy the little details and "lore" are insufferable nerds and that the only true way to love and enjoy Star Trek is to disregard details; enjoy plot or vice-versa. Some of us can enjoy both.

You're not paying attention to the conversation we're having then. No one is saying "people who love these details are the worst". We're talking about people who obsess about this stuff and actually are pretty much assholes to people who feel differently from them. They are people who let a scale discrepancy ruin a whole movie for them. That's the kind of person we are talking about.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

computer parts posted:

It's more like grey and a darker shade of grey.

Only if the theater you see it at is lovely and doesn't have their brightness up high enough. A properly bright 3D presentation is fine.

ApexAftermath fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 4, 2013

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Anyone else going to see it next Wednesday in IMAX?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Gonz posted:

Is it indeed going to be shown Wednesday?

Yep. Heading to Omaha as that is the closest IMAX to me. Got the tickets through fandango so yeah it's for sure.

EDIT: I think it started as a "if you use our Star Trek phone app you can buy early tickets" thing, but my brother decided to go last week and he was able to buy tickets just through fandango like normal so they must have opened it up to everyone now.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Man Loner posted:

Oh, and I recommend 3D for this one. Very well done and very immersive.

Glad to hear it. I can't change my tickets to a 2D show now so I'm glad to see that others are not reporting the issues with the 3D that some have. Probably just comes down to personal taste. Frankly I have never gone to a 3D movie and had any of the issues that some of the naysayers are mentioning so I'm guessing this stuff just sticks out more to some people.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

MajorB posted:

I want to see this in IMAX but it's only playing in IMAX 3D. It sounds like the complaints about the 3D for this one aren't the usual "it's useless" sort but the ":siren: DON'T SEE IT IN 3D IT'S A TERRIBLE EYE-HURTING HACKJOB :siren:" type. Is it worth skipping out on IMAX?

The complaints here have been even mix so far between people who says it's the worst thing ever and beat up their grandmother, to people saying its fine. I think it's going to come down to if you have a beef with 3D to begin with. If you don't mind 3D then you will probably be fine with this just going by what reactions are.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

forever gold posted:

That is an alien view to most film goers and even most ardent cinephiles. Ultimately the function of a film is to relate a narrative, and while the film can be exceptionally artful in the technical means it uses to relate a narrative, if it doesn't impress or engage in that regard then it's a failure. And at the end of the day J.J Abrams is no Terrence Malick but an exceptionally pedestrian director who is no more technically impressive than hundreds of other directors in Hollywood, so I'm not sure why this Film Comment type argument is pulled to defend him, of all directors!

Beaten but you are so full of poo poo here. Please go away.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

forever gold posted:

(is there a memorable sequence from his entry in the Mission Impossible series? There's quite a few memorable sequences in the ones directed De Palma and John Woo.)

The De Palma MI was totally forgettable and MI2 is a stupid piece of trash with a convoluted plot and really stupid looking motorcycle action scenes.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

The Warszawa posted:

The decision to cast white for Khan is also a political act, and it is a lovely one.

To be fair Benicio Del Toro was cast in the role until he dropped out kind of last minute.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

The Warszawa posted:

This has been brought up like, eight times, but this is not the NFL - the Rooney Rule is not the baseline. Outcomes matter.

(Del Toro was still cross-casting.)

Oh I'm sure it was more than eight times.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Great_Gerbil posted:

But that wouldn't make any sense. For better or worse, Khan detonated the bomb in London and gunned down the captains and first officers at Starfleet HQ.

Khan was a bad dude.

All under the assumption that Marcus had murdered his crew in the cryopods. I'm not going to say he is "not a bad dude" but it's a little more nuanced than Khan being a Bond villain.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Phylodox posted:

Pretty much every villainous act Khan commits in the film is in reaction to being betrayed by one character or another.

I was actually wondering how things would have gone down had Kirk not told Scotty to take him down. It just seems like that was a major catalyst for what happened next.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

euphronius posted:

6. Crashes into San Francisco: The most evil of his acts, at the end of the movie.

Yes and this only happens after he knows for absolute fact that his crew was just exploded in the cargo bay of his now pretty much hosed ship. Keep in mind also that he told the ship to set a course for Starfleet Academy and the ships computer tells him "due to the hosed up state of the ship I cannot promise you the ship will hit that target". Turns out the computer was telling the truth and the ship totally misses the mark.

ApexAftermath fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 26, 2013

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Roquentin posted:

The first time that guy with the robot voice and cyborg poo poo in the back of his skull spoke I burst out laughing in the theater and wanted to die.

Yeah man it was so weird and wacky crazy what?????! Robot voice mans in my Star Treks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

I don't understand how so many are hung up on the Enterprise not having backup when "Enterprise is the only ship in the sector" has been accepted without any issue for so long.

• Locked thread