Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

scary ghost dog posted:

Just wanna remind everyone that Khan Noonien Singh was previously portrayed by a Mexican actor named Ricardo Montalban.

I'm guessing Javier Bardem was busy or uninterested.

I also found the denouement lazy as gently caress and completely lacking of the same gravitas as Wrath of Khan. Putting in the exact same loving plot device used, then using something as dumb as Khan's blood as the 'instant cure for a dose of radiation so high it kills Kirk in less than fifteen minutes' is just the kind of poo poo I'd expect in Lost or Alias, not a 'Trek film.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Not when Khan was from!

In the new storyline, they can erase the Eugenics Wars and just make it 'Khan and his Super-Baddie Crew.'

scary ghost dog posted:

Haha that would have been pretty interesting. Do you think people would have been just as obliviously angry?

After Silva and Chigurh, I think Bardem as Khan would've been a better choice, and so did the writers at one point:

http://themovieblog.com/2009/javier-bardem-as-khan-in-star-trek-2/

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The best thing to take from this movie is that it pretty much shouted HEY, IN THE NEXT MOVIE WE'RE GONNA HAVE A HUGE KLINGON WAR AND IT'S GONNA BE loving AMAZING.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Supercar Gautier posted:

You heard it here first: if you're an Indian-American actor, just leave the country if you want to find work!

I dunno, this dude could've pulled it off on looks alone: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hrithik_Roshan

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Nut Bunnies posted:

I enjoyed the film, but the pacing was ridiculous at times. You could fit a [SCENE DELETED] slide into like 10+ places in there.

Also, TWO "THE BOMB HAS BEEN ARMED AND IS COUNTING DOWN OH NO WILL OUR HEROES BEAT THE CLOCK???" scenes? Was that a joke?

Speaking of bombs, I see JJ incorporated his fetish for exploding heads in *this* film as well - even though the head exploded wasn't *by* a bomb this time.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Did you, uh, miss the scene where they phoned Leonard Nimoy and he was all 'Oh god, Khan Noonien Singh. What an rear end in a top hat.

Also, Nimoy's reaction to hearing the name Khan was a single spectacular second that out-acted the entire rest of the movie.

Yeah, I loved the tenor of "normally I'd be all about 'no future-altering advice', but in regards to this guy, just use your best judgement - preferably while shoving him out an airlock."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Eh, it was able to bring Kirk back after a brief time when he was frozen in the interim. It's able to repair massive cellular damage. The thing is, it's actually not that far off what medical science already was in Star Trek anyway.

Yeah, except Kirk was dosed with enough 'science-grade' radiation to kill him within what appeared to be 10-15 minutes. That's well beyond 10000 rads, and even the guys who took duty in Chernobyl and inside K-19's reactor room lived like a week before their bodies simply disintegrated from within due to irreparable DNA damage. And yeah, I know "it's a movie," but sheesh.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Locutus of Bald posted:

I had many problems with this movie, but the chiefest had to be I already saw a movie with "Star Trek" in the title that featured a main character sacrificing himself to save the crew and then magically being brought back to life. Twice.

Yep. I felt it was laziness passed off as homage - "hey, the climax is already written for me, and everyone will *love* the reversal of a revered and climactic scene!"

To say nothing of the fact that the resurrection of Spock wasn't originally planned, and the resurrection of Kirk was something that took 10 minutes of screen time. They could've at least had put in a scene where Spock had to 'prime' Kirk's formerly dead mind with a meld to un-mush his squash, thereby giving them the 'bond' that melds evidently give (and probably spawning a few thousand new-universe slash-fic stories).

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:29 on May 16, 2013

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

WastedJoker posted:

I think it would've been neat if there was a flash-forward of 1000 yrs where it showed the direction the culture had taken as a result of that one event...

They kind of did - only in a Voyager episode. The ship got caught in a planet's magnetosphere, and noticed that time accelerated on the planet below. Turns out, the planet's entire civilization revolved around the "Skyship" as a pseudo-deity, since every attempt the crew made to extricate itself caused pretty powerful earthquakes on the planet, so they evolved *around* the difficulties. Ultimately, the civilization evolves to Warp capability and perhaps even beyond what humans were capable of at the time. It was sort of chintzy at times, but it was a good episode.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

There was also the TNG episode with Ray Wise in which he sees Picard and thinks he is a god, and is about to sacrifice Troi to The Picard. Also if I remember correctly Kirk did not give a gently caress about the Prime Directive. He would break it all the time.

Especially if alien pussy was involved.

With all the nods and homages in this film, I was half-expecting one of the captains in the "round table" scene to be named "Picard."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

WarLocke posted:

What episode is this so I can watch it without exposing myself to the rest of Voyager? It reminds me of a book I read once, Dragon's Egg, about a neutron star that develops blob life that puts together a civilization around the ship we sent out to examine the star and eventually evolves beyond us.

"Blink of an Eye," S6E12.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

He only crushed the Admiral's head, but I swear, I thought he was going to crush Spock's head at one point too when he had his hands around it :stonk:

I'm also guessing Khan's super hands have the ability to not be stained by blood and gore, either. Dude didn't even so much as reach for a paper towel.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

PeterWeller posted:

It's not. He's at its center. And keeping your central protagonist alive is not cowardice, especially in a franchise film with expected sequels. Hell, killing your central protagonist in the first place is a very risky move. The sacrifice is cheapened somewhat by how quickly he is brought back, but it's still a significant sacrifice that resonates with the characters and audience.

Yeah, I'm glad they didn't go "new-age Bond villain" with Khan and kill him - because you just know some other grieving father who wants to save his kid is going to thaw Khan out for his blood and things will go ~horribly awry~.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

WarLocke posted:

You know what was perfect and immediately got me thinking "I want to know about that!" ?

"last month's Mudd incident"

Spoiler warning: http://geek-news.mtv.com/2013/05/16...mics+%231000%29

It's from the prequel comic, and this universe's "Harry Mudd" has a twist.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Joe Don Baker posted:

Oh did anyone else see the NX-01 model in Admiral Marcus' office? For some reason I get a huge kick out of Enterprise references in these movies.

Yeah, except that kind of stuck in my craw as well. Kirk evidently didn't know the big-dick Battleship existed, but THERE WAS A loving MODEL OF IT ON ADMIRAL MARCUS' DESK AT THE BEGINNING. I was expecting him to say something like 'holy poo poo, Sir, when can I get one of *these*?"

They painstakingly showed all of those models in a row, and didn't spare the big-dick battleship and it's all a big surprise.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 17, 2013

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

7thBatallion posted:

Except for Sub Rosa.

I dunno, I always felt sorry for "Bev." Picard constantly feeling like he couldn't screw his best friend's widow despite constantly keeping her hanging, and her outranking most of the personnel on board (in addition to having the ability to render any single one of them unfit for service with naught but a filed letter) severely limited her sexual options to anything but the Holodeck. She needed to get some *somewhere* - it just came in the form of an clingy plasma-based entity that really knew how to "get inside" a woman. :v:

I always saw Sub Rosa as the "Beverly finally gets some" episode. Sure, the plot brings out a lot of female stereotypes, but seeing one of my favorite characters from the show actually being able to *enjoy* herself for once, rather than be a stodgy killjoy doctor? Priceless.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:26 on May 17, 2013

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Thom12255 posted:

McCoy only knew for sure that Khan's blood had those properties and needed the blood as soon as possible to save Kirk so saving Khan was the best and least risky option. The defrosting part I have no idea, it seems like a big hole and I don't even see the need for it to be, it's not like it was ever a plot point that they couldn't be defrosted, they just brought it up for no reason.

To say nothing of the fact that earlier on in the movie, Bones specifically says that they dare not try to defrost any of them because they don't know the correct procedures. Yet evidently, without talking to Khan, it's safe at the end of the movie for him to thaw one of them just so long as he keeps him in a medically-induced coma.

The more I reflect on this movie, the more I'm bothered by what JJ could do to Star Wars, but that's only muted/alleviated by the fact that there's absolutely no way he can gently caress it up more than Lucas himself did in the prequels and his continued "gently caress all you fanboys I wanted to be like Spielberg but you made me be THIS" spite-changes to the original films. I also think Disney will have Abrams assassinated by the Orlando PD if he tarnishes their new 'toy' in any way.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Help yourself, I was doing the math on that one for about 20 minutes.

edit: I also debated a line like "There's a weird probe headed for Earth!" "TO THE SPOCK-PHONE!"

Also, I hope when Into Darkness is on DVD or whatever someone makes a mashup of Shatner and Quinto screaming. That would be amazing.

"You need to execute a time warp...but trust me on this, leave Chekov behind. Don't let any Arabs go on away missions, either."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Oh I know. My personal feelings re the Khan-twist (Are we still spoiling that?) is that with how Cumberbatch's voice sounds, I would've made him Jean-Luc Harrison, or some such, making him Picard's (grand)father or something. That would have been a rather surprising twist. Is that a crazy idea? Because I think he really sounds like Sir Patrick of Stewart.

Given the amount of times this movie attempts to elbow you in the ribs and go "hmmm, HMMMM?," I was expecting one of the other captains and/or their first officers in that briefing room to have been named "Picard," since I remember an episode where JL says the family had always had a lengthy space-faring history, starting with a great-grandfather of his being amongst the first to colonize Mars in the very early 2100s, and this seems to take place mid-2200s.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

That was early in the show, though, when nobody had any idea what they were doing.

And that story arc never went anywhere, despite implying that it would.

Other than that, that episode got rid of 'balding unlikable guy' who'd been in charge of questioning everyone on board the Enterprise and generally being a dick.

Lobok posted:

One thing I don't quite get is the complaint that there were no spaceships around Earth to respond immediately to the battle. Are there supposed to be entire ships that just stand guard the whole time? If an enemy warship suddenly materialized on the shore of some American city and started shelling the hell out of it there'd be probably ten or twenty minutes before anything in the Air Force or Navy could respond, unless it decided to appear in the heart of Norfolk or something.

There was that 'fighter flyover' before Kirk's speech.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 21, 2013

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I know they'll never take this angle because movies still require "good guys," but it'd be amazing if this schism is what 'caused' the mirror universe (yes, I know it existed in 'Enterprise'), and *does* lead to a more militarized version of Starfleet full of other Admiral Robocop-style xenophobes.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I am a lot less interested in Episode VII than I was this afternoon.

What worries me the most is that Abrams seems to think he has to jam fan service and homages into poo poo. The alternative is even worse - that he's a lazy prick who thinks putting in those "chuckle moments" that elbow you in the ribs is a good way to bridge acts and scenes.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:45 on May 26, 2013

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This guy doesn't understand that the super-stealth cruise missiles have no use as defensive weapons. Scotty is obviously not objecting to there being weapons on the Enterprise, but to there being volatile experimental superweapons designed to violate international law. He is also, more specifically, objecting to the Enterprise being comandeered by the Federation as a tool for the direct exercise of state power.

This guy's logic is seriously "So what if we do develop this Solanite bomb? We'd be even a stronger nation than now." He considers Scotty's conscientious objection to deploying the Solanite bomb a plot hole.

At the same time, the dude doesn't seem to get that Marcus' goal is not actually the defense of earth but sparking a culture-war against the space-muslims who resist assimilation into the Federation (which, the film makes clear, is pretty much the 'western' world of today except with flying cars). It's literally a premptive strike doctrine. And then he goes on to say that the film doesn't challenge the Federation's ideology in any way.

You seem surprised that a movie review on breitbart.com seems to miss, overlook, crap on, or gloss over anything that might be considered a left-wing ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Phylodox posted:

Then there's Bashir, who was just a cool dude.

Yet an huge Aspie when it came to women.

"I fixed your brain, Serena - now we can be special friends!" *hugz*

• Locked thread