Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

(Though I will admit it takes some not inconsiderable balls to post that kind of picture as your Facebook profile pic.)

Or a complete lack of social awareness. I'm going with that.

I was being dumb last night and one of my rats escaped because I left one of the doors to the cage unhinged. But when I woke up this morning I found her in the (empty) bird cage on the dresser. She had gotten out, eaten all of the yogies I put beside the cage, then crawled to the bird cage to sleep it off. :psyduck:

Needless to say, I'm double-checking all the cage doors before I leave my room now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I'm moving again within a few months and the place we're moving too has A YARD! :neckbeard:

Our dog really loves being outside, but won't go out on the balcony-porch thing we have now and acts really lethargic inside. Finally he can have some room to run around instead of just extra-long walks every day.
My boyfriend is considering adopting a senior dog that our current dog gets along with well once me move, too. He's been pining over a beagle for a while, and there's tons of older beagles that end up at the local rescue. Corbin has no issue with them, he seems to still dislike "in your face" hyperactive small dogs though.

I'm so excited about it. Still up in the air as to whether it will be a beagle we're getting for sure, but regardless it'll be a senior. :3:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

re: furry

My roommate is one, and I wouldn't trust her with a dog. Not because she'd rape it, but because she can barely take care of herself. Furries are notoriously irresponsible pet owners, often getting animals because they "look cool" and then doing the whole "BUT I HAVE TO EXERCISE IT??" routine. Which she did with the last dog we had (Australian Shepherd mix). We had to find it a home because we were moving to a small apartment, but she flipped the hell out and demanded to keep it and threw a huge hissy fit even though she wasn't taking care of it at all. :psyduck:
Also, apparently despite a ton of furries being vehemently anti-zoophilia, they'll still put uh, "proper canine anatomy" on their characters, or upside balls on 'roo characters, stuff like that. That fandom contradicts itself a ton.

Anyways, re: ideal pack size and breeds
If I could have any dog breed, it would be a Newfoundland, and I would have two. :3: My doctor has two Newfoundlands named Casserole and Hashbrown, and they are awesome.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

notsoape posted:

Now let's talk about breeds we would never in a million years own
French bulldog, boxer, standard poodle (do not want to groom that at all), puli/komondor (same reason), dogs that require a definite job because time/physical fitness/mental stimulation, I would not be able to do so :saddowns:

e: Also yes, those two Newfies go by Cass and Hash :3:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Question: why the dislike for AmBulls? I've not seen/heard much about them other than what I know of my own dog (American Bulldog x lab mix) so I'm curious if there's something specifically weird about them (like how boxers have short lifespans, anything like that) :ohdear:

Of course, the dog I own now is a mix of two dogs I would probably not pursue a breeder about.

Maybe I'm weird, but I could totally fall asleep to the sound of hounds baying. I was raised around them and I remember how loud they can be if you're right up near them, but it's still not that bad to me. I prefer that to higher-pitched barking and growling that a non-hound would do.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Radio! posted:

Pets I want to own:
cats

Pets I do not want to own:
not cats

What kinda cats :3:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Azrael Alexander posted:

We're (at least I am) talking about American Bullies, not American Bulldogs. :downs: I actually really like American Bulldogs. Ambullies are those squat, bowlegged monstrosities with enormous blockheads that people like to pretend are Pit Bulls. Like this:

Oh. Those things. My bad. :saddowns:

Yeah, I dislike those as well. I just got confused for a second, whoops.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Deadly Chlorine posted:

I used to keep rats, but goddamn their lifespan is just way too short for me. Just breaks my heart. :smith:

Same. :( I think when my rats pass away I won't be getting any more. They're amazing pets, probably would own tons more if their lifespans weren't so short. And I have all females, so cancer city...

Still, they're lovely pets. If there was a kind of rat that lived as long as say, a guinea pig, I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

So, uh, I think my roommate does not understand the concept of dog-walking. I wanted to mention this here because it was too :psyduck: to not say. She walks the dog at night unless she can somehow get out of it, and tonight she put the leash on the dog, hovered over him, and then took the leash off when he didn't immediately jump up to go walk. And then she went to bed.

I was wondering why all her "walks" took under a minute, but now I get it. She has no idea how to walk a dog. Rather than using the leash for the intended purpose of controlling the dog's direction and where it's going, I think she just puts it on him so he doesn't run off. And then she lets the dog guide her like some sort of pee-seeking divining rod, except it's a lazy dog that you need to encourage sometimes.
How the hell does that happen? Not knowing how to walk a dog, I mean. Or the basic concept. Pretty sure the 8 year old here knows how.

But now I have to walk him again even though I took him for a quarter-mile walk earlier because she didn't bother trying to actually walk him. I'm 31 weeks pregnant, this is bullshit. :mad:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Bash Ironfist posted:

I was getting kinda angry until that last part. Now I'm Real Mad. This dick won't put in any effort into walking her dog, forcing you to walk her dog, at 31 weeks? This is something you really shouldn't have to loving deal with man. I think you need to have a long talk. By that I mean tell her 'take care of your loving dog instead of me or get the gently caress out of here.'

:argh:

She's getting kicked out next month, thankfully. And technically the dog belongs to my boyfriend, but she agreed months ago that walking him before she went to bed would be one of her chores. if she didn't/doesn't want to, she could just say so, I think that's what irritates me the most. Communication would be great there.
Although my boyfriend walked the dog instead because he said, "You need to go to bed before you murder someone and I need to not be fat". So I guess that worked out.

In other dog related news, Corbin's going to his first purely social outing today. Found a dog park near here that has a divide between large dogs and small dogs. He'll be on-leash the whole time because he still needs work on his recall, but here's to hoping he enjoys himself. :toot:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

It would be great if someone named their cat Narcissus. :allears:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

My dog was improperly named after The Fifth Element :v:
e: Korben Dallas or however it was spelled.

I didn't realize the spelling was wrong until like a year later.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

I named my first animal at 5. His name was Colorpaws and he was a barncat. In my defense his paws were grey and white. My dad named the cat that came with our property- Mousebreath.

You didn't happen to read Redwall or Warrior books as a kid, did you?

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

So I was browsing this website http://www.rescueme.org/ because yes, I too enjoy looking at animals I cannot own, and I just noticed something. They categorize dog temperament by energy (which is fine) and how dominant the dog is. Like the choices are literally things like "Somewhat submissive" or "very dominant". :psyduck: That...doesn't seem like it should be something a rescue site should classify dogs with.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Bash Ironfist posted:

Question: So are labs generally considered smart dogs? I ask this because the place I work gets several labs on a regular basis. And they're all very sweet dogs, love getting pats and have serious cases of buttwiggles when they're excited. They're also about as smart as a bag of rocks. Just wondering if this is just them or the breed on the whole is kinda derp.

Yeah, there's tons of people I know who own or have owned labs at one point, they seem pretty derpy but I think that's because a lot of them are spoiled and untrained. I've seen working labs and they've still got the "YAY FOOD. YAY BALLS" derp going on, but then they actually relax a bit at home instead of being like that 24/7.
My dog is a lab mix and can be a bit slow on the uptake of training and new ideas. He'd much prefer to just lay there and eat sometimes and go on long walks instead of learning to sit or shake my hand. It's like he just doesn't really get the point and can't connect doing a thing to getting a treat.
Oh, and the rudder tail. Smacking their tails into everything you hold dear is just a Lab Thing too.

I think it just kind of depends on the lab, but as a whole they're kind of....doofy. Not dumb I guess, but clumsy and excitable and not very good at solving problems on their own.

E: Or what Captain Foxy said, I pretty much agree.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

ChairmanMeow posted:

Chihuahuas are the most known to have fatal bites. When one does bite you it's pretty much over.

(For the chihuahua.) :ssh:

Been a while since I posted some random nonsense about my dog. Today I clipped Corbin's nails for the first time (before, it was always done by a vet or groomer). He was very relaxed and didn't even flinch when I accidentally cut a bit too far on one nail. What a trooper. :3: I've never clipped dogs' nails but it's a hell of a lot easier than clipping rat, bird, and guinea pig nails.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I sure do love awful craigslist things (don't think this is up anymore, probably reported).

I don't even know what to feel about this ad other than "wow".

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Those are some derfy looking goldens, Animal Planet.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Yeah, I am pretty sure those are labs. Or maybe shaved goldens.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

What kind of dog is the first one? :psyduck: Just some sort of shepherd mix?

I was using the breed selector thing as well, the labs showed up in the sidebar. Welp.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Oh my god is that a foxhound? :lol: The other little misidentifications are kind of "Okay I can see how you'd make that mistake" but seriously what the hell Animal Planet

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I can't help but imagine how farty that mix would be. Potent death farts everywhere. And so much wheezing.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

To be fair, I didn't start hoarding my rodent army until I was 3 months pregnant. Totally understand the want/need to nurture an animal when you're body's all hosed up on hormones, but I personally wouldn't get a puppy because if you end up spoiling and babying a puppy, bad things happen. :(

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Skip the pregnant and just get a puppy? Have baby, not impressed, get puppy. The possibilities are endlessly full of puppies!

My baby is going to be adopted due to some really e/n circumstances, so I can't stop thinking about puppies. :(

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

You can't expect my 20 foot leash to retract just like that! sheesh why even have a dog outside at all.

I have to explain this like at least once a week. My dog does not like being touched/having another dog up in his face/stared at. Thankfully I've not yet run into someone who gets upset over it, but I also think my neighbors understand the concept of "big bully looking dog" = not the best dog to test your theories on. Yaay for having decent neighbors.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I think the price should really just depend on the individual animal's behavior and health when being flown. Not like they'd ever implement something like that, but a "pay depending on how much of a pain your dog was" seems pretty reasonable to me.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Pile of Kittens posted:

Did you know that searching GBS for the word "poop" returns 752 matches, but PI has roughly 2,500? :eng101:

Pet owners deal with a lot of poo poo. :downsrim:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Superconsndar posted:

Also the "GOTTA GET RID OF MY PIT BECAUSE THE LANDLORD DOESN'T ALLOW PITS" people. Did you just waltz up to your landlord and holler "YEP ITS A PIT BULL" at the top of your lungs? Do people really not know that you should probably not call your pit bull a pit bull if you're renting? I have never lived in an apartment complex that allowed pit bulls, and yet I have never had trouble renting with a pit bull. Use people's ignorance against them and just say "NAW HE'S A POINTER MIX." Problem solved, now you can keep your ugly dog.

If people want to screw you over they can always complain about your dog, and if it looks vaguely like a breed banned by wherever you're at, well. I've seen it happen, people are dicks. :(
However the vast majority of people posting criagslist ads for pits in my area either try to make it sound special ("great bloodline/blue nose/whatever the gently caress") and then their "rehoming fee" is something like $300. I do lots of flagging of ads for my area because sometimes the people around here are just begging to be caught dogfighting or something.

I buy a lot of nice cages and supplies off craigslist though. I guess that makes up for the dumb.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I meant something more along the lines of "my dog is stronger than your dog" "nu uh" and not stuff that actually takes bloodlines into consideration if that makes more sense. 'Course I can't say I've had any personal experience with pit bulls other than my dog being mistaken for one and my uncle's pit mix being taken and euthed because the city he was in had banned them (unfortunately there was no paperwork to prove that the dog was a different mix, and as far as they were concerned it looked it).

I am kind of bitter about that so my dog's paperwork is ready to go at all times, I have vet records stating he's American bulldog/lab, which he is, but that doesn't stop the occasional mistaken identity.

I am so confused by my local craigslist ads in general, anyway.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I like to market my breed of choice by pretending they are a different breed. :colbert:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

So, random question. Has anyone ever gotten a decent response from sperging out on places that aren't PI about animals? I get a decent response from this one guy at a pet store I go to occasionally, he even knew about getting high-quality cat food for ferrets and said something along the lines of "never trust Marshall or SuperPet". Cool guy. I've also gotten some decent replies on youtube from nerding out, surprisingly. Including answering someone's question on whether they should get their female rabbit spayed and elaborating on the health problems not spaying can cause, and they said they'd gotten a spayed rabbit and thanked me for my help. :3:

It makes me feel kind of warm and fuzzy to know that there are places besides here where I won't get ignored or insulted for being nerdy about pet-related stuff. Anyone have an experience like that where someone just gets it or actually wants to listen?

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

My boyfriend made me laugh earlier because he took Corbin for a walk and when he came in he started baby-talking him and was saying "Aww you super-aggressive pit bull am I gonna have to alpha roll you. Such a dominant dorg, and we just can't have that!" and now I can't stop giggling. :allears: My boyfriend is wonderful.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Random weird question, is it possible to develop an animal-related allergy later in life? I'm 20 and I've been around cats a ton when I was younger, but now I can't be around them without sniffling and sneezing and irritated eyes. Wonder if that's a pregnancy related thing? :psyduck: I hope it goes away though, there were some adorable kittens I couldn't hold at Petco yesterday (some sort of adoption event).

I don't seem to have this issue with any other animal, just cats. :(

e: I'll probably post this somewhere else if no one really knows. It's probably more medical than pet related.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

"- bred to hunt lions -"? How the gently caress is that even relevant? How the gently caress is the notes on the breed even relevant at all how is that picture relevant what is going on.

Also thanks for the responses about allergies, guys. It only seems to be cats I'm allergic too. My lab mix sheds a ton and I've never had a problem with that, and my rats/guinea pigs/rabbit don't set it off either. Nope, just cats.

Speaking of which I saw this cat on craigslist just now.

Whoever gets it better name it Half-Tail. :mad:

Hardwood Floor fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 23, 2012

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

More awful craigslist pet things!

Hm, a live animal for a sweet rear end dagger or a "music thing". And it's for their 2 year old. Sounds legit. :v:

e: it didn't break tables in the preview :(

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Random dog question. How common is it for a dog to not be able to wake up quickly? I'm used to most dogs just popping up the instant you walk in a room, but my dog has these weird stages where he'll whimper and twitch in his sleep and when I try to wake him up, it requires a lot of effort, loud voices, and paw or ear tugging/squeezing. He never bolts up either, just kind of opens his eyes and looks dazed for a second. I'm wondering if I should see a vet about it. :(

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I'm not sure to be honest, the shelter we got him from 2 years ago said he was 10, but I have no idea. Vet says he's between 4 and 8 (I don't think they had any idea either). Hasn't had this problem until about 6 months ago.

I'm not too worried about it, just trying to be cautious in case it's something I need to keep an eye on. Other than that he's healthy.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Guys, is it bad that I'm actually considering calling about this little shithead? :ohdear:

On another note, this is by far the most honest craigslist ad I have seen, ever.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Fraction posted:

^^^
I don't think that person knows how to sell a thing.

I think this is true, too. I can imagine them just glaring at the water dragon the whole time they write it and for some reason this is hilarious why can't I stop laughing :(

I don't know if this will help anyone by the way, but in case it does, I got some advice from a petco employee today. If you see any discounts on their website, just print that out and bring it in. Even if it's not in-store discount at the time, they'll match it. This has proved really useful to me since the website almost always has useful things on sale that I'd rather just go to the store and get.
e: I am also sorry for not having any idea on the current discussion, whoops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

My mom sent me some pictures today of a mouse she and her boyfriend captured and decided to make a playhouse for. They kept it for about 12 hours and then released it in the woods. According to my mom their dogs stared at it the whole time.

The mouse (which was wild and stuck in a vent) was fine and got some oatmeal for the road. :3:

• Locked thread