Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Virtue posted:

Not if you have a shitload of liquid assets in excess of the balance exposed to a lawsuit.

That’s most likely good to be for a bodily injury liability claim not property damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

DangerZoneDelux posted:

That’s most likely good to be for a bodily injury liability claim not property damage

Nah, the insurance company, if their insured isn't at fault, will absolutely try to recover any money they pay out, regardless if it's for injury or property damage. They have whole departments dedicated to this.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

PD is cheap, the difference between a 100k and 250k limit is often just a few dollars over the policy period

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I Don't work in claims any longer, but I still work in the property and casualty insurance industry and we have a 500,000 combined single limit for our auto policy, a similar limit on our homeowner's policy, and an umbrella policy over the top of that just because I know how quickly poo poo adds up these days with claims.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The thing about a 2m umbrella policy (or 1m to a lesser extent/amount) is that realistically it makes you functionally immune to most lawsuits up to 5-10 million or so. I got a judgment that was way over 2m but I guarantee my lawyer would have essentially forced me to agree to a 2m payout (I probably would have agreed without being forced anyway). Maybe even less like 1.2 or 1.5. And then in most states (some? all?) if the claimant agrees to settle within policy limits but the insurance company won’t do it, they’re on the hook for any excess judgment, not you.