Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Is there anywhere but the Obamacare exchange for an unmarried, self-employed person to get health insurance? I'm currently paying $570/mo for a blue cross 'Blue Value Silver' plan through the exchange. It's decent enough insurance except the $3000 deductible and of course the high premium. I got very excited about getting insurance through a trade association I belong to which would have offered slightly better coverage overall and a $1k deductible for $550/month. However, apparently I can only get that if I am an 'employer' with at least 1 full-time, 30hr/wk employee other than myself that I can offer this coverage to. Being self-employed doesn't count. I was really excited about my new, better coverage because there's not much else to get excited about in one's mid-30s, and was pretty bummed when I found out it wasn't gonna work the way I thought. I just want better health insurance :saddowns:

There are potentially some options to make that plan work-I have some part time help and I may be able to swing him into full time which would probably be good for me in the long run anyway, but that's a different conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Covok posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by pricing, though? I have a preliminary quote under 50 bucks a month. I've seen dental procedures run up to 10k. That said, I should check coverage as someone on Reddit has said this plan doesn't cover what I thought it did.
Instead of being like most health insurance where there is a max out of pocket you pay, most dental plans I've looked at have a max the insurance will pay. Like they'll only pay $1000 in a year towards procedures, or else they have like 90% coinsurance where you pay 90% of the cost of the procedure and insurance pays 10%. I've done the math on it several times over the years and talked to my dentist about it and the bottom line is that dental insurance doesn't really have any advantage over just paying cash unless your employer is paying most/all of the premium.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Thumbtacks posted:

I meant health insurance but I guess life too? Idk. I work full time remote but my remote job that I’ve had for years does not have out of state insurance and I work in a different state. Picked up another job mostly so I can get out of the house, it should have pretty decent insurance but it’ll take 60 days to kick in and they don’t offer the insurance company I would prefer to get it from.
Are you planning to go through the Obamacare exchange? If so, I'm not sure you can if your job offers you health insurance but you decline to use it. Also open enrollment is only once a year in December, though getting a new job/changing jobs may count as a 'qualifying life event' to let you sign up outside the normal open enrollment period. Having been self-employed for a long time with insurance through the exchange I would suggest if you have other options through an employer that you take them.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Thumbtacks posted:

My wife is self employed (tattoo artist) so she can't get them through work, and I'd rather get something consistent if I can, I'm not saying I plan on job hopping necessarily but I don't think it'll cost too much more to get it myself through the healthcare marketplace thing and I feel like that gives me some more flexibility in career stuff. And, like I said, my newer job does not offer the healthcare provider I was hoping for. I was probably going to get health insurance independently and get everything else through the job, but that has to wait for two months anyway.
You can still get coverage through the marketplace if your job offers you health insurance, but you can’t get any tax credits/savings. ‘Doesn’t offer the plan I want’ doesn’t matter as long as they offer a plan that means certain minimum standard. Surely your wife could get on whatever plan your work offers you? Even if your employer doesn’t cover much of the cost of the plan, they will still probably offer better coverage for the same or less money than the marketplace plans. You can get decent coverage from the marketplace but it’s quite expensive.

https://www.healthcare.gov/have-job-based-coverage/

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

eddiewalker posted:

My insurance broker called and said the insurer they put my house on 2 months ago, something called “MAX” is imminently insolvent and has quit processing claims or answering correspondence.

The broker wasn’t sure if I would get the remaining 10 months of premium back. Should I be hoping the government steps in? Is my house actually insured right now? Should I be angry at my broker, or is this an extreme circumstance that I should just be happy he’s proactive about?
This answers alot of your questions:
https://maxinsurance.com/
https://acrobat.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn%3Aaaid%3Ascds%3AUS%3Abad39bbb-b52b-3bc2-8f99-b886d07229d3

If you can afford to, I would definitely get a new policy with another carrier even without getting a refund. From what I can tell you are still insured, but in the event you have a loss it's probably gonna be a clusterfuck to get the claim paid promptly.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

eddiewalker posted:

My broker said he just became aware of the situation and started calling his clients. He also said he’s in the process of finding a replacement carrier. I guess I should just sit right and let it play out?

I was on Madison Mutual for the last two years, then in July the broker called and said my rates were jumping $700, but “Max” could keep me paying a very similar premium. A month and a half later, here I am.
Are you in a difficult insurance market or have an old or fancy house or something? Even in my difficult hurricane-prone market I was surprised that State Farm was actually less expensive than most of the smaller carriers I had been with for a while. They wouldn't write a wind policy so I had to go with the state insurer of last resort, but that was pretty much the case with everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jenkl posted:

Can anyone give me a rundown on getting independent health insurance in the US, particularly for someone with an existing condition. This person's been made an offer as a contract worker, but has no idea how to get your own benefits, health especially, going

Is there a preferred way to get quotes? Health insurance brokers?

I'm not American but I believe Obama means the existing condition will be covered, or is that more specific/conditional than I think?
I’m not an insurance expert I’m just similarly self-employed and have had Obamacare since the disastrous launch of healthcare.gov a decade ago.

They can get insurance straight from an insurance company and it will basically be exactly the same as an Obamacare policy (they have to be) but they won’t be able to qualify for a subsidy (if they make less than like ~$50-60?K they could qualify for some sort of subsidy) unless they get it through healthcare.gov. Preexisting condition doesn’t matter any more. If they are offered any sort of health insurance through their work, they may not be eligible for a health insurance marketplace (Obamacare/healthcare.gov) plan. If they can afford it, the Silver tier of Obamacare seems to me to be the best value. It’s not usually thaaat much more than the bronze tier which have super high deductibles and are basically catastrophic policies, but still quit expensive. Pay 15-20% more and get actual coverage if you can. Also look out for copay’s vs. coinsurance. With copay’s you pay $50 or w/e to go see a doctor. With coinsurance you pay 20% or something which could be a whole lot depending on how the doctors bills stuff. The healthcare.gov interface is actually not bad for helping choose a plan.

I have not pursued talking to a health insurance broker. I know they exist but they’ve always seemed like maybe scams or something to me. I suspect they are basically gonna have Obamacare plans with maybe some secondary insurance to help with high deductibles/copays, but I don’t know that.

Depending on their line of work they may be able to get a group plan through membership in a trade or professional organization if there are a lot of self-employed people working in that industry. I know AIA (architects) and the local home builders association both offer insurance to their members, for example. When I looked at that option, it wasn’t cheaper than Obamacare but it was better coverage with a lower deductive. However, it was only available to the business owner if they had a full time employee they could offer the plan to (tho they didn’t have to use it) so it didn’t work for me because I have no employees.