Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
I posted this in the BMW thread but it's more appropriate here. Is there a general consensus on the safety of tracking a car with a patched tire?

My Giulia QV picked up a bolt in the tread yesterday. Got it patched at Discount Tire. Can it hold up to an HPDE day?

The tire has 2700 miles so I could get a new tire under the road hazard warranty, shave it down, and get it swapped over. But that's a big pain in the rear end and I don't have a lot of free time during the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

The tire manufacturer's lawyers will say that the tire officially no longer has the speed rating after a puncture and repair. However, I and others have run patched tires on track before without incident plenty of times. When you say "bolt", do you mean typical nail/screw sized puncture or something worse?

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

The bolt head looked to be ~12mm. It was definitely larger than a nail. The tire shop didn't call that out as a problem.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

The tire shop is mainly concerned about whether it'll hold air. On track, you also need to be concerned about how much the structural integrity was compromised.

12MM head should be an M8 bolt, so 8mm shank.

If the bolt head went through the carcass (12mm hole), I would not drive that tire on track.
If just the thread went through (8mm hole), I'd consider that pushing the upper bound of what's acceptable to repair for track work.

I wouldn't worry about shaving a new tire if the complementary one just has 2700 street miles (put the new tire on which ever side will wear harder for your track direction) . Does it make it easier to source the replacement if you just get a new one and throw it on?

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

It does, for sure. The Tire Rack road hazard warranty pre-approved me for a replacement. I think it covers installation as well. I'm bad with physics - if the course runs clockwise would it be the left side tires that get more load?

To your other question, the bolt head didn't go all the way through but it got close. I'll push forward with the replacement.

One more thing. I measured the tread of the undamaged rear right tire and it was between 7/32" - 8/32" depending on where it was measured. New is 10/32" tread depth. Still in the clear for running an unshaved tire?

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

One of my Hankook RS4s picked up a screw in the outermost tread block (so, highest heat/load part of the tire) and was patched at the NASA AZ tire trailer, and was fine. I'd glance at it between sessions, but wouldn't be worried.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

It does, for sure. The Tire Rack road hazard warranty pre-approved me for a replacement. I think it covers installation as well. I'm bad with physics - if the course runs clockwise would it be the left side tires that get more load?
Typically, yes, unless you have some really hard left handers to counteract the fact that you're doing more net right turns.

quote:

One more thing. I measured the tread of the undamaged rear right tire and it was between 7/32" - 8/32" depending on where it was measured. New is 10/32" tread depth. Still in the clear for running an unshaved tire?

Yes

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Thanks guys. I’m going to order the tire tonight.

Any Phoenix-area goons doing the Pro Autosports AMP day on May 11, hit me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Track weekend: One day of rain on and off and then another that was beautiful. Summit Point Main is a much faster course than its neighbor Shenandoah. The car has a lot more braking and grip available now with the new alignment, tires, and pads so I am still feeling out where the limits are.