Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

so i often pull out my smartphone to take pictures of birds when i'm on the kayak or otherwise outdoors and it is woefully unsuited to this task and i'd like to get a nicer camera

i'm not totally lost when it comes to interchangeable lens cameras - did a bunch of yearbook photography in high school with an old canon slr film camera and got roped into taking pictures of a few events for work and whatnot based on that - so i know i'm basically buying into a lens ecosystem and the basics of exposure but not enough to make a serious call on what to buy.

spent a chunk of the day doing research but figured i'd ask the photo nerds also - if you were going to spend...2-3k usd to get setup for bird photography, where would you go? have been eyeballing a canon r7+the 100-400 but i'm open-minded to pretty much any brand, second hand, whatever. i can pretend i'd use this camera for other stuff but 99% of it is going to be getting sick action shots of egrets and i am mostly interested in getting the best results for that. good weather sealing to handle use on the kayak would be a major plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

RillAkBea posted:

I use the R7 with the RF 100-400 and it's pretty darn good, but the 100-400 is not weather sealed and Canon don't provide any standardized rating for the R7's weather proofing either so I'm not sure if I'd want to rely on it in such a wet environment.

I mostly shoot birds too and I've been eyeing the OM-1 as an "if I could start all over again" camera. It's got a proper IP rating and apparently they have some nice weather sealed lenses around without dipping all the way into the "professional" price bracket. As a bonus, the OM-1 MkII just got announced so there should be a lot of panic selling around. :v:

i was also looking at olympus as my second option because they seem very reasonably priced but i was unsure about micro 4/3rds as a tradeoff - not sure how i feel about crop factor meaning bigger subjects vs fov. glass seems really reasonably priced too.

after you posted this i watched a video where duade paton talked about this exact thing and showed olympus footage of them just deadass shooting a mister at the om1 which was definitely a selling point

how's the om5 compare to the om1?

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i looked at bridge cameras but was kind of unenthusiastic about the shots i was seeing

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Godzilla07 posted:

Beyond Micro Four Thirds, you could check out used Nikon F-mount gear using a crop sensor camera (D500 or D7500) as your body, and the wealth of F-mount telephoto options. The 300mm f/4 PF with one of those cameras would still be competitive with a modern mirrorless setup for size and weight when you're out on the kayak.

Above all else, you should rent the systems you're interested in before committing to one.

used slrs were something i was thinking about because of all the secondhand lenses but i was concerned about buying into a lens ecosystem with no new lenses coming out and then having to futz with adapters if i wanted to upgrade to mirrorless later. also been eyeballing sony mirrorless because i like how they open up e mount to third parties so i can get sigma/tamron stuff - getting something like a used a9, a7iv, or a7riv.

honestly the rental thing was confirming something i've been thinking which is that every option is viable and has tradeoffs and i need to directly put hands on equipment somehow. i was looking at this as an option to test stuff but the places i googled up were like 200 bucks to rent a camera and a lens for a week. where are the suggested places to rent stuff, and is there anything cheaper than that or is around 200 for camera+lens just market value?

was thinking about finding good local camera stores and seeing if i can hold and try stuff there, too.