Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Glasgerion
Jul 25, 2007
Strike on strike on

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

I am interested in playtesting Retrocausality , gently caress you Erick Wujcik and, god help me Intersector. I don't have a game in the thread.

Edit: For Clarification, I am down to play or GM in these games, although FYEW I hear has plenty of willing GMs already. I do not understand Intersector but will do my best if a bunch of people want to play it with me as GM.

I'll join in on any of these if you're running them.

If anyone needs a player for things I'm usually available around 7pm - 1am EST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I'm down to playtest today as well. I'm all about huggy diceless systems.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
I'll be on within the next 30 to run Retrocausality. Make sure your time machines have gas in them.

Edit: it helps to say its 5 till 7

Double Edit: Click here to play

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Alas, there is a delay in reviews for today. Therefore, tomorrow will be a double dose.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
Anyone who wants to play Emperor Mittens - I'll be on from 7:00 PM to 12:00 PM CST today. Come into either #alldayplaytest or #tradgamesdesign and hit me up whenever you want to. I'm aiming to get this started around 8:00 PM CST tonight.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
So are there actually people who will be available evenings GMT this week? Everyone so far is a bloody Yank. :argh:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Okay, going through the last page to see who has volunteered to playtest what, the following games still seem to be unvouched for:

• Glasgerion's Disarmament
• gnome7's Dungeon Manager: A King's Reward
• Red_Mage’s Amp 2 Amp
• UberJew’s Dis?unity

Of course, Jurassic Central Park is the only one that has actually been playtested yet, but no one has even offered to playtest these ones.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!
I can do quite a bit of GMT daytimes.... Anyone else.

alakath
Nov 3, 2007

The green knight gets all the princesses.
I've got a real-life playtest organized for Dis?unity and ThU/D: Deathrow LIVE! this Wednesday. Assuming something doesn't explode, you'll be getting videos of both games in action, plus player feedback!

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So the world has contrived a way for this to not be a double-dose review day. At least I get to finish off all August 17th reviews, which by now aren't seperated by shame at all.

As long as they get done, I am okay with that situation.

UberJew's Dis?unity (and a word doc)

Well this is hard to read. The word doc is cramped and mashed up and everything is really close, and the google doc has paragraphs that stretch across the entire screen and still contrive to look all mashed up. I'll give it a thumbs up for hyperlinking to a comprehensive external source, which is taking advantage of the format. The content itself isn't too hard to understand, just hard to read due to the above issues, and at no point are the rules themselves too confusing.

Additional thoughts:

The word here is presentation. Put a space between paragraphs, then give all paragraphs around 1.5 line spacing (as easy as a right click). That alone cleans up readability. Soon, the minister of culture will appropriate IMF funds to build that fancy concert hall that no one cares about and will never support itself!

Final score: 7 +1 week long dev blog = 8. They have elected you to be in charge of this Bonus.

Glasgerion's Disarmament

I swear I'm not trying to organize all the political crisis games together. Anyway, here's a really simple thing this game does to break up the text: lines of = symbols. It's basic, but it makes each section more visually distinctive and easier to reference as a whole.

Each ability gets its own little section, all in a consistent format. I'm curious to see how "each one can be used only once" will turn out in play, because it will mean a lot of referencing powers in play and it does get a bit hard to find the exact one you're looking for - a little strategic bolding of their names might have helped here. Still, it's all clear enough.

Final Score: 7. They've got the bonus hostage!

And it seems that all three modules I have left to review for this stage of the contest are from people who did not turn in their final one. I will forge ahead regardless, but they will not receive official scores.

Gau's Traceuse

Yes, this would be a clear 9 on the Rulebook-o-meter. Note how this game plays with its layout to try to create a sensation of movement as you read the rules, almost like a comic playing with its panel layout. Like any experimental panel layout it can get a little confusing, but when it does there are little helpful arrows pointing your way.

Rules are accompanied by pictures, and they are quite simple. Making a sample character in my head was downright easy. All in all, a sad loss for the playtest phase.

Additional Thoughts:

The big failure here is that Gau decided to have quality family time rather than be a nerd on the internet. Who wins and who loses in that equation? Make up your own mind. I still want to see this in a complete form.

Auralsaurus Flex's Stock Sharks

And here's a clear 8. Simple effective layout using indents, bolding, short and seperated paragraphs explaining the rather complex concepts of marketing in a simple and effective way. The chosen coin format is still a bit bulky to read for me, but a neutral grey color for the table makes it stand out without being obnoxious, separate but still clearly important. All in all, a fine document.

Additional Thoughts:

Silence. Good for a shark, not good for a competitor. Another game that's so far along it seems a shame to leave it hanging. Perhaps a planning snafu also had its hand, as many competitors had problems with putting together their last module. That would be the value of a strong outline which says what goes where from the very beginning!

blastron's Justice is Blind

And this one would be a seven, pushed to eight by a bonus objective. Three modules which would have earned a bonus, lost at the side of the road as this relentless uncaring march walks by. A sad thing.

Oh, content? Well, at the risk of repeating myself: It is more of the same from the first module (clear, effective and all that). And more of the same works in this case, although taken together in a document like this the rules really seem to need something in between the text to break it all up a bit.

Additional Thoughts:

Real Life happened at work, but so little more was needed to push it across the finish line.

I encourage all three of these competitors to remain involved in the contest to the finish. They're no longer eligible for prizes, but to leave a work unfinished when it is so close is a sad loss indeed.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Gonna try and playtest Ministry of Heaven on Roll20!

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Ettin posted:

Gonna try and playtest Ministry of Heaven on Roll20!

So we playtested Ministry of Heaven. Gave it the old college try but between having to bone up on the rules, doing it online and comcast never not loving me we only finished two shifts in three hours.

Chargen was great fun, but took a while to get organized, probably would have been faster but less fun if we'd used a quick-start.

Turns are great fun, very fiasco-like but there are way too many of them. We had four players, which makes for anywhere from 40 to 56 events, depending on how much overtime is taken and there is a strong mechanical incentive to take all the overtime for cheap credits. That's huge.

We all definitely enjoyed each other's scenes and interacting and as a result we ended up just declaring nearly every scene a success. The attempt to make them mechanically different but both good is nice, but flawed, as successes are just better. Fiasco deals with that problem by physically limiting successes and failures, MoH might want a similar mechanism.

Another mechanical problem was how relatively pointless the Blackjack phase is to win the bid. There are so many credits available from tapping Strengths and taking your overtime and it is cheaper to get all of those than to lose a single close bidding war, which meant we never really went ALL IN. We may have done so in a full game but I doubt it!

e: Another big problem we ran into a few times was ties or potential ties without explicit rules for what they mean in the relevant sections. Either the rules where there but somewhere White Wolf would have put them, or they weren't there at all. Consider flowcharting all possible outcomes for bids/cards at least for yourself and making sure they're all covered in the relevant section.

All told the roleplaying was very fun, the character and setting creation really got us invested and gave a solid foundation for the scenes but there were too many and the mechanical underpinnings just seem flawed. Definitely had fun (will o' the wisp skives off work to go buzz ufo spotters is great, just great), but would have had significantly less if we'd stuck out through an entire session.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
We successfully played Ministry of Heaven. All in all, definitely a good game. Uberjew and I think the bonus credit from working overtime messes with the credit economy, though, and the bonus for succeeding a scene is a lot bigger than the bonus from not succeeding, and there's nothing stopping your fellow players from letting you succeed every time. Maybe limit the amount of successes that can be handed out, like Fiasco. I'm thinking at most half the shifts on a given day can be successful.

Also, I agree there are too many scenes in a game. As it stands, this is way too long to be played in a normal gaming session, and so maybe revise it so that one day is a session and a week is meant to be played out over several sessions.

Edit: Beaten

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I am planning to playtest Nothing Amazing Happens Here, and while I've been reading through this thing, I've come across a few problems. Most notably, I don't understand a few things, and the 3 modules don't seem to tell me everything I need to know to play. They were also organized weirdly, so my OCD kicked in and I combined them all into a loosely formatted .pdf. Also the Word document if MadRhetoric wants to do stuff with it.

Now, my issues: I have done a more thorough rereading and caught a few things I missed. I am putting in what I think is the right answer, let me know if I am an idiot.

1 - In the Pressing Quirks phase/step/thing, you mention players can spend NBP to press the quirk of a character involved in the scene. This lets you adjust the outcome of the scene. Besides the order rules being worded a bit weird, what happens to the spent NBP here? Does it just vanish?

Yes they just vanish, from what I can tell, but you get more if the situation goes a certain way. That second part made me think spent tokens went somewhere, but no, they seem to just vanish, if I am reading this right.

2 - "To play a Move, declare the Move you're playing and pay the cost forward." Now, by "pay the cost forward," I assume you mean you play the card the move requires to work, but if that's the case, there's a problem here. The Random Draw Heaven playstyle involves drawing from the top of the deck whenever you would need a card. So:

Do you declare your Move, and then Draw? If so, what happens if you draw a card that doesn't match the one you need to play the Move? Does the Move fail? Can you pick a different Move?

OR

Do you Draw, and then declare your Move? If so, what happens if you draw a card that matches none of your Moves? This seems entirely possibly, given that players can mix and match moves wildly.

I still want to know what Pay The Cost Forward means, but I figured out the card situation. You play one card at the beginning of each scene, and what moves a player has available is dependent upon what card set the scene.

3 - This thing could really, really, REALLY use some examples of how things are supposed to look. An example scene or two would help a lot.

4 - In the Self Made Fiasco mode, each player gets 4 cards and that's basically all they get the entire time. However, you make your character before drawing your cards. What are you supposed to do with cards that don't relate to any of your Moves? Or if you have a Move you can't play because you don't have any appropriate cards to play it?

From what I can tell, you just hope other players play the card you need.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Ministry of Heaven chatlog is here!

We only got through one Workday, but here's our setup. We went with the advanced problem creation rules!

Players posted:

Rainbow Serpent, Dreamtime Rain Snake, Network System Admin
Strengths: Advanced Scripting, Secret Mountain of Servers
Flaws: Big Fat Slob

Peng Lao, Laughing Buddha, Chief of Operations  
Strengths: CCNA Certified, One With Everything
Flaws: Aggressive Religious Proselytizer

Varqamceese the Third, Ghost of Christmas Past, Director of Afterlife Affairs
Strengths: Famously Satisfied Client, Safety Inspector
Flaws: Exceedingly Snooty

Elmo Lampson, Will O' Wisp, Director of Swamps
Strengths: Good Leader, Extreme Sports Enthusiast
Flaws: Easily Distracted

Problem posted:

PROBLEM: Shinigami On Strike

Causes:
Accounting buying up souls pre-death
Unrest over no sick days
Balance of life and death disrupted

Employees:
GOREMAXUS, Union Steward
Izanagi-no-Mikoto, Corporate Operations Liason

Supervisor:
Baal Zebul, Retired God, First King of Hell, Dimensional Paradigm Administrator

Obstacles:
Strikers petitioning for an egalitarian workplace (That Bastard from the Alpha Centauri pantheon, coming over here and spouting his rhetoric)
Employees used to get bonuses for lots of souls, now they don't  (That jerk Orcus from Accounting is buying too many)
Not enough dying souls to employ everyone  (Life spirits and merciful gods spoiling the balance of things)
Shinigami keep getting sick on workdays, losing out on commission  (Moloch attempting to drive up the value of his futures)
Management's representative is missing  (GOREMAXUS disembowelled him)
Department's computer systems are awful (Izanagi refuses to spend money and upgrade from Afterlife Vista)
Major campaign donors pressuring representatives to exclude them from being subject to Death (Mammon wants to preserve his power base after the election)

In one Workday we managed to clear one Obstacle. At the end of the other Shift my attempt to force a Blue Card on the Problem to make it bust out ended up giving it 21 instead and we all lost. I am a professional.

Aside from what the others are posting, what I'd add is that examples or a summary of the how-to-play section or something would be great, because referencing rules during the game probably could have gone smoother. It was great though!

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

I will be running gently caress You Eric Wodjack tonight about 11 or 12 midnight GMT, if anyone is interested, I will pop into #alldayplaytest at that time. Just leave me a message or post here and I will know who's up for what.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

poo poo! I forgot about this playtest!

To be fair, I evacuated for the hurricane, so I suppose my mind was otherwise occupied...

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
All that redacted text :psydwarf:

Paying Forward is an artifact of earlier rules (Moves were all supposed to cost NBP at one point).

You wager any NBP used to Press Quirks; if the pressed player folds, every pressing player gives her 1 NBP. If the press was to color the ending, that's it. If it was to change the outcome, they keep the second. If the pressed player matches the bet, the pressing players lose what they put up and the outcome doesn't change.

In either mode, the drama card is played and that unlocks Moves. You make a character, decide the playstyle, then make connections. If you pick SMF, you get dealt cards, which you then trade with your connects to make connections. Coordinating with your connections for Moves and poo poo is a big part of SMF's metagame. It's why you trade cards with your connections in SMF's pregame. With RDH, you have a wildcard and know your connections' wildcard because you topdecked for each of them. Reread the Make Connections part of the Rules Module.

EDIT: Here's a cleaned up and marginally fleshed out version of the rules together.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
This thread is slowing down a bit, so I thought I'd post some more design thoughts since Rulebook's been encouraging us to blog about our game's progress.

So, I'm going to start from the beginning! Picking Retrocausality was tough - originally I was going to remake Assholes Among The Stars from the first design contest with Gorbash, since I never did work out the contest, but that turned out to be a no-no so we did different things instead.

I still had plenty of other game ideas, though. Eventually I went with Retrocausality (despite vague fears that I was ripping off some Stolze game I couldn't be bothered looking up and that game by that other jerk) because I really like sci-fi adventures, but there were a few I almost couldn't bear to drop.

So I didn't! Here are three games I have decided to start working on - they might even be Kickstarted soon!

Quest Squires is a game in the old-school flavour intended to bring back the feel of old-school gaming, but with a few new twists (but with an old-school feel!) Unfortunately, as an old-school retroclone I have been working on since 1992, it wouldn't qualify as a contest entry. It has a ton of fresh, innovative ideas I can't wait to try out though, like

• "Activity Points", which you can spend to occasionally take an extra turn in combat or do other cool things
• No character class system - players pick from a series of "Improvements" that "unlock" as they "level up"
• Racial level limits
• Complex "improvisation" mechanics
• 24 types of shield
• Only uses 1d20s

All I needed to do was come up with an interesting setting that borrowed from the greats - JRR Tolkien, Robert E. Howard, John Norman - with a few new spins and I was set to go! Oh well.

Cock-Thirsty Adventure Sluts is a sexy, salacious and kind of erotic game which hilariously satirises geek culture through roleplaying strong, empowered women who get their powers from sucking dicks for money.

The politically correct social justice white knights on grognards.txt made fun of me, though, which is exactly the same thing as oppression, so now I'm going to release this just to spite them. That'll show them. It is 400 pages long, but don't worry - combat only takes like 20! Interesting fact: They are the only pages I typed with both hands.

Dominic Deegan: The Roleplaying Game is a Pathfinder-compatible romp through Michael "Mookie" Terracciano's epic webcomic world of intrigue, divination, and magic lasers. To fully capture the feel of the webcomics I have planned a seven-book metaplot series in which the characters get to follow Dominic Deegan himself as he saves the world with his visions, insightful commentary on the world around him, and puns. I guess. Actually, I'm just going to write them as my deadlines approach, so I don't know what'll happen yet. It's gonna be loving metal though!

Pathfinder is a solid, totally balanced system which can only be improved by my special rules for divination, geeking out, rocking on, gays, women and sluts. When you see it your mind will be like KABOOM and your head will explode and blood will go everywhere, especially down your slowly inflating D-cup breasts.

As much as I would have loved to blow your minds, though - and all these games out of the water, and my hot creative load all over your faces - these games had to wait. Not for long, though - expect a Kickstarter for one or both of them soon!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

What, no supplements for Kaidan: a Japanese Ghost Story? I am disappointed. In my setting for the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Kaidan: A Japanese Ghost Story, people tell and live stories about ghosts all the time with a bent of japanese horror to it, I have done extensive research on this, myself being of japanese ancestry. Because of this and other reasons, you stand to gain a lot in a business sense from making your games compatible with Gaijinoshima from Kaidan: a Japanese Ghost Story.

gnome7 posted:

Okay, going through the last page to see who has volunteered to playtest what, the following games still seem to be unvouched for:

• Glasgerion's Disarmament
• gnome7's Dungeon Manager: A King's Reward
• Red_Mage’s Amp 2 Amp
• UberJew’s Dis?unity

Of course, Jurassic Central Park is the only one that has actually been playtested yet, but no one has even offered to playtest these ones.

The whole language mechanics thing was a bit intimidating for the half of my group in need of a translation, so Arcana still needs someone else to run it I'm afraid. In place of that, we went with Nothing Amazing Happens Here.

Let's start with the good news: Anime Tarot is fun. Loads of fun. We had not even started the game proper and we already had a convoluted as gently caress backstory of love, betrayal and McGuffins so props with the Tarot Connections table there. Self Made Fiascos are also cool in that the cards you go with mean so much more than the black or white dice from Fiasco, so the metagame has a lot of moving parts and is fun to scheme with from start to finish.

That's about all that went well, the rest was wonky. Moves only being usable as a followup to specific cards is annoying and frustrating when their effects are already very conditional. With all the NBP (which we renamed to Genre Points) and Moves being thrown around Actor stance was near worthless as well.

Then there's the lack of examples. The game assumes you know how to handle Scenes, Breaks, and other stuff. That makes a lot of sense if you've got experience with Fiasco... except it doesn't really play that much like it, because of all the extra rules on top. It REALLY needs a couple example Scenes using those rules, as a result.

I would suggest rebalancing Moves and making them usable all the time, either empowering more or throwing away Actor stance, and maybe streamlining the NBP wagering a bit making it an outright war for changing the results.

The way this game works, it is all we like about Fiasco turned up to eleven and without the black dice none of us have. So this is a workable proof of concept, though it does need a ton of polish.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

TK-31 posted:

What, no supplements for Kaidan: a Japanese Ghost Story? I am disappointed. In my setting for the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Kaidan: A Japanese Ghost Story, people tell and live stories about ghosts all the time with a bent of japanese horror to it, I have done extensive research on this, myself being of japanese ancestry. Because of this and other reasons, you stand to gain a lot in a business sense from making your games compatible with Gaijinoshima from Kaidan: a Japanese Ghost Story.

That's been done!

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

TK: That went about as well as I expected without examples or proper playtesting. Thanks for playing, glad you (sorta?) liked it.

I'll try to run Dungeon Manager around 6-8 PM EST tonight on #alldayplaytest, so motherfuckers better show up.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

I have to report failure on my part on taking part in a play test, unless the quarter game I ran counts. I will be busy for the rest of the month. The shame is immense.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Assuming I can figure out this Roll20 thing I will be running a playtest for Intersector tomorrow after 6 PM Central.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

I'm in the same boat. I need to run just one single playtest, and I am in the runnings. Just one. But I can't get the drat people together thanks to everyone playing guildwars.

Gonna give tomorrow the biggest shot I can before work. Kwyndig - I should be able to JUST make that intersector game if you need people.

sc4rs
Sep 15, 2007

This is what I think of your opinion.
Hoping that Gau is still planning on running Arenaball with his buddies. If not, I'll see about taking pictures of my own friends & setup and getting some opinions (albeit heavily biased ones, I'm sure!) from them on Friday.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Everyone is in some tiny amount of luck! Since this week (and especially friday) are turning out to be immense hectic bullshit for me personally, I will extend the deadline for the playtests to the second of september - that's next sunday. That gives everyone a weekend to playtest, which I am sure many of you will take the opportunity to jump on.

That means also that the deadline for me handing out prizes changes to September 9th. So be it.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

TIME JUMP!

You are my hero Rulebook.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Everyone is in some tiny amount of luck! Since this week (and especially friday) are turning out to be immense hectic bullshit for me personally, I will extend the deadline for the playtests to the second of september - that's next sunday. That gives everyone a weekend to playtest, which I am sure many of you will take the opportunity to jump on.

That means also that the deadline for me handing out prizes changes to September 9th. So be it.

Thanks. This means European people aren't totally hosed over.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Gentlegoons and...just gentlegoons really, we're recruiting for Dungeon Manager: A King's Reward in #alldayplaytest.

Right now.

:frogon: and :getin:

alakath
Nov 3, 2007

I just wrapped up my evening of real-life playtesting!

The good news is that we ran Dis?Unity, and everyone had a really good time. I'm going to work on writing up my personal thoughts, and I'll get those and the videos posted as soon as I can.

The bad news is that we barely got to run any ThU/D: Deathrow LIVE! as our test of Dis?Unity ran long, and the store owner wanted to go home. The game literally lasted for about 20 minutes. Even worse, that followed an approximate 3 minute explanation of the rules, and none of the players had taken the time to look at the rules in advance.

I'm going to post what I have of feedback and gameplay for ThU/D: Deathrow LIVE!, but it was so rushed I don't feel like it's very representative of what the game could be. Thus, I make a desperate plea: if anyone has the time to run ThU/D before the deadline, I'll be forever in your gratitude. I'll even buy you a forums upgrade! I just feel really lovely that we ran out of time, and I feel like ThU/D didn't get a fair shake.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
In other Dis?Unity news my logosmith is attending PAX Prime on a presenter's badge and is bringing along the new PDF version of the rules with formatting changed for readability, hopefully to share with some indie devs he knows.

sc4rs
Sep 15, 2007

alakath posted:

I'm going to post what I have of feedback and gameplay for ThU/D: Deathrow LIVE!, but it was so rushed I don't feel like it's very representative of what the game could be. Thus, I make a desperate plea: if anyone has the time to run ThU/D before the deadline, I'll be forever in your gratitude. I'll even buy you a forums upgrade! I just feel really lovely that we ran out of time, and I feel like ThU/D didn't get a fair shake.

No need for a forums upgrade.

I'll be running a game of ThU/D: Deathrow LIVE! as soon as I finish cutting out some challenge cards and re-reading the rules.

And, of course, as soon as enough people show up. synIRC & #alldayplaytest

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

So Mad Rhetoric ran Dungeon Manager last night, and here is the log
http://pastebin.com/H2gN8tWJ

It seems like a fun game, but some of the moves seem more powerful than others, and it seems like it would go on awhile with more than three players

My character sheet

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
I was also in the Dungeon Manager test, running:

Schmovecraft the Mythos Investigator

Talent: Mystic Deductive Skills
Clubs: "I'll Take That" - claim up to 2 cards from any zone, unless player spends a protection token (if it's in their zone), or 2 if you take 2

Allies: Small and Relatively Benign Cthonic Horrors
Hearts: "Scare Tactics" - Remove any 3 protection tokens from play.

Treasure: Smart Suit Ensemble
Diamonds: "Take Control" - perform any suit's Keep, then perform any suit's Lose.

Dreams: Never See Another Cthulhu

Victory: Solved the Puzzles of La Mu

I got King of everything but spades :(

alakath
Nov 3, 2007

sc4rs posted:

No need for a forums upgrade.

I'll be running a game of ThU/D: Deathrow LIVE! as soon as I finish cutting out some challenge cards and re-reading the rules.

And, of course, as soon as enough people show up. synIRC & #alldayplaytest

Thank you! You're the bestest, sc4rs.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

As has been said, we ran Dungeon Manager last night. we were the King, of course. We enjoyed ourselves, but it was hard for us to play the game over IRC. Ulta had playing cards we could use, so things worked out.

We find the game to be solid fun, but feel it would take far too long to play in any form outside of Small Dungeon. At least 30 cards to a dungeon and 32 cards to a player's deck is on the high side; if it weren't for us only having a 14 card deck the game could have lasted several more hours. Even so, the players were unable to complete King of Dreams. It is unclear what greater significance Spades have. It was also quite difficult for us to gain seven of anything, although that may be a conceit of the amount of players.

The moves are nice, but every player ended up taking "I'll Take That", as it was one of, if not the best moves in the game. King moves are also very powerful. We are not entirely sure what the aim of the game's conflict is; having the King start at a powerful mechanical advantage but with a much smaller deck makes us think we are meant to lose while causing problems for the other players. If so, why is the pitch portion of the game first?

There are some rules discrepancies. It is not clear to us what occurs during Bribery; does the player whose unresolved card is taken lose their turn? If so, that is immensely powerful, especially if as King you can easily buy it back. Certain moves refer to zones in the plural, but there is only a single zone designated as such. We assumed this gave us free reign over piles and zones. There is also a reference to "Keep and Lose actions", but the given nomenclature in all other areas is "Gain and Lose". We also found the shuffle and cut mechanics vaguely pointless.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Woops. I don't think I caught that in time, but I think you were using Module 2. I... made a few changes for Module 3. A few of the Hero Actions got revamped (although I'll Take That was unchanged), and Exploring now pulls 3 cards at a time, so the Dungeon Deck doesn't take forever and a day to deplete, and Claiming actually has a purpose. The game is still meant to take an hour or two, at most. Game length doesn't expand too much with more players, because more actions resolve each turn and dig through decks that much quicker. That said, it does add some time to the total, I'd think.

The King starts with a smaller deck, yes, but with how powerful King Actions are, he should dominate the game if left to his own devices. He exists entirely as a curveball - he's much scarier than the Heroes, but there are more Heroes than Kings.

The main purpose of Spades is to have a visible resource to fight over, because the resources in your deck are mostly unknown. They give you a visible indicator to work with.

Bribery does, in fact, end the chosen player's turn. That is essentially its purpose, and Slow Down and (the actual, not-an-accidental-copy-of-Buying-Time) Take Control Hero actions are improved versions of Bribery. Also, any player can buy the top of the discard pile at any time, not just The King. There is a reason you don't announce what action you're actually taking until it's time to resolve your card - it lets the lower initiative cards react to what everyone else is doing.

As for Zones, there is one Explore Zone total, and one Player Area per player. Most of the moves mention either the Explore Zone or any Player Area you want. Only a few let you pick from either or, and in those cases, yes, you have free reign. I'll Take That, for instance, can pull 1 card from two separate Player Areas.

The Keep and Lose nomenclature is an artifact I thought I'd fully edited out - it's all supposed to be Gain and Lose. Gain and Keep are the same thing, I'm just an idiot who didn't ctrl+F enough.

Thanks for playing, guys. I have no idea how you managed to play it over the internet, but I'm glad it worked out. Shmovecraft is awesome btw.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

http://pastebin.com/QWuQwLpK

I'm pasting the log for the THUD game we played, but I don't have time to comment much on it. Going without my computer for the weekend, but wanted to post that. Also we ran Retrocausality, but the drat log on roll20 isn't working. I'll summarize later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sc4rs
Sep 15, 2007

So a few of us ran ThU/D Deathrow Live! and some Retrocausality this afternoon. Logs are up there in Ulta's post.

As GM of ThU/D, I thought it went swimmingly. We got through only one Episode, but I was laughing a lot and I think that the setting made for a ton of fun moments. I love the reality show pun names, especially Shark Shank and Dancing Behind Bars. I drew Ninja Inmate and An English Theatre, which was a hilarious combo and was super easy to make up some events for. I'm sure more Episodes would have gone just as well.

I think that four people (one GM, three players) is basically the barest of minimums, though, and I think only having two people vote, making it impossible to get a non-unanimous fail or success, is a bit of an issue. It's hard as GM to keep thinking of extra bonuses every single time something succeeds spectacularly. I think that either giving the DM a vote with 4 players, letting the players vote "thumbs sideways" if they kind-of like something, or just introducing a random element like a coin flip would help keep the results interesting and more varied.

As a player in Retrocausality, I liked the system as far as we got. It really feels like PDQ: Playing Card Edition, which I loved. It was a little tricky to have to remember what the face cards meant or to remember exactly what suits mattered and didn't without loading up the rules, but I'm sure playing it more would get a better sense of that. The pre-made adventure was really cool, from what I saw of it. I was hooked on the story even after only playing for a short while and loved the little details.