Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
Put me in for The Rise and Fall of a Galactic Empire a game based around the founding of and the crisis that cause the eventual collapse of a empire that spans the galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

isndl posted:

For a randomizer, consider Russian Roulette. Bonus points if you use live ammunition!

Did anyone take this? I'm taking this.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

I'm changing my entry to "Jurassic Central Park". Dinosaurs didn't go extinct, they live in New York. They are avoiding attracting too much attention, holding down their dino-job, and avoiding being exposed by Jack Horner, famous paleontologist.

Mechanics involve how long it takes for you to eat a chicken wing (carnivore roll) or celery stick (herbivore role).

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

The outline for Jurassic Central Park

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

I'm going to be looking for more if people have dinosaur doodles.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

THIS IS NOT MY FIRST MODULE

This is a first draft of Jurassic Central Park the rules module, which I will eventually submit, but people said they were interested, and I had this first draft typed up

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1K08nb_dqo07FGz7VvXALl9MXrq36C48-0lOrpnsQmjk/edit

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL ENTRY TO JURASSIC CENTRAL PARK

I don't need my own words to tell you that Jurassic Central Park is winning this thing. I'll use the words of my competitors.

Red_Mage posted:

This is genius, and if you drop out I will cry. This is geniunely the greatest thing I have heard in years of RPGs.

Fenarisk posted:

Oh. My. God.

I need the rules to playtest this so hard next weekend with friends coming to town.

Gau posted:

This is seriously amazing. If your game isn't set up to be as fun as Jurassic Central Park appears to be, you should probably drop out at once and spare yourself the embarrassment.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

What can I say? This game, its concept and its blurb has captured the hearts and mouths of hungry gamers already.

With JCP I've shifted away from that bane of dissociation mechanics of dice or cards. JCP gives you that tactile feel you've been missing from gaming the whole time. Your fate is literally in your hands and mouth as you chew and eat your way to an immersive role playing experience. Notice I didn't say game, because game has connotations that belittle what JPC sets out and does. No game to date has you eating actual food. No game to date uses our provocative idea of a timed session as a means to control player spotlight and pace. This game might be about dinosaurs, but its causing all other systems to become the dinosaur.

/smug

Is a partial artistic bonus thing. My actual submission module also contains art sprinkled throughout. You can find that here . This module contains the rules of play and dinosaur generation, everything you'd technically need for an early play. I wanted to get the rules module and character generation out first because those were the strongest formed in my head, and having a strong mechanical backing will help inform the sample adventure (module 2) and the GM advice and world fluff (module 3)

I also want to announce that I will be putting out a bounty for a record playtest of the cost enough chicken wings and celery to play the game for five people Basically the first person who can get me a recorded playtest (audio or video), I will compensate the cost* of the wings and celery. PM me before you run out and do that though, because I have specific instructions. I'm going to want at least a 3 player + 1 GM playtest, and audio/video has to be usable.

*hard limit of $50 please

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

alakath posted:

Jurassic Central Park, by Ulta: In short, a work of brilliance. My vegetarian GIRLFRIEND even wants to play.

My only question: Did you actually scarf wings and celery to create an accurate success table?

I did! I timed how fast I could eat a wing and some celery, and I timed how fast it took to count. This is probably where playtesting will do the heavy lifting.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

I thought I was at 5 reviews, but I'm actually at 6. Either way, a good halfway point. Really excite by everyone's creativity overall. More to come!

gently caress You Eric Wujack - This game has a good feel. I like the idea of siblings arguing around at table. I find the grounding rules unclear. If I’m grounded, am I completely out of the game, or can I still take part of a “Show of Hands”? This could get awkward if only two are left. I also dislike kicking players out of the game (it’s one of the things that keeps Dread from being perfect) Also I like mechanics that draw to an inevitable close. I don’t want to spend my favor if it’s what I need to win the game with. Overall a strong entry, and I want to see advanced rules.

Stock Sharks
Tiered flipping is hard to grasp. Also I don’t get why I shouldn’t pick my highest value coin in a blind bet. It feels like theres a page missing. I’m unsure how I make money, and what the different size coins mean. I want to learn more, but right now Stock Sharks left me hungry.

Ministry of Heaven - I really like the mechanics and the concept here. Character creation by others is great too. There’s a little bit of complication here and there, but it feels like a game that plays simpler than it reads. I got the idea that you could reskin it into “Better Off Ted” the RPG, which made me smile. Also any game where you can play Coyote is extra points in my book. Overtime could be clarified, and there’s a definite advantage to betting last that might have to be addressed, but other than that, very solid.

Retrocausality - If I was a horse betting man, I’d lay a bet to place confidently on this one. I like how you have the micro skill resolution and the macro with the time skills. I don’t have to get bogged down when the 4 party members need to each go at the same “time” to four different points in history to do something and then meet up. The fact that it could be resolved with 4 card draws and 10 minutes is REALLY appealing. Double bonus for a reference to my game. I want to play this game.

Psychodrive - You’ve got some really neat stuff here, but it feels like there’s a lot of rules here for a rules light game. Your fluff is really fantastic, but my eyes start to glaze over on the mechanical specifics.

Disarmament - Nice concept, but needs tightening. The example is sort of confusing. Isn’t a skill of 7 with a difficulty of 3 succeed on a 4 or below, so marginal failure at 5 and 6? The references to unwritten mechanics don’t seem to help. It seems like this could also play better than it reads though, and the flavor is very nice. I like the gain now, problems later mechanics and how that’s mechanically represented.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Another batch of games

Intersector :psyduck: You win creative mechanic, hands down, the end. I REALLY want to read your next module, just so I can get a better handle on this game. Initially confusing, but once I got into the correct mindset, surprisingly logical. I feel like you are catering to a lot of different playstyles, in a really good mechanical way. I imagine people playing this game wearing flowy robes as trance music plays softly in the background. I want to play this game.

Rookies - Three virtues, Short,Simple, and Clean. I still need to know how , spending resources work, but this seems like a good way to quickly represent a game. I also want to know how off the Field resources affect on the Field resources.

Dungeon Manager A Kings Reward - The Impress the King phase seems to tickle me for some reason. I really like what you did with the cutting mechanic, and how you want to keep it close to even. Seem fun!

Arcana - DEM DA BEBILS CARDS!!! A good start. Character creation seems interesting, and its edutainment about what the tarot means. I don’t know the base mechanic yet, but it seems like you will reveal that in a future module. Definitely will be reading modules 2 and 3

THU/D - This is so good it hurts to admit it. I want to write a THU/D module right now. Constant feedback on the vote is a really great mechanic. Loose but not too loose character rules, elimination of characters, but not players. Also the writing is clever and I found myself chuckling out loud. A+. I want to play this game.

Amp2Amp - Too many pages, too few words to page. The formatting is really hurting you. I like the idea of games where actual skill is needed, and feel its a unexplored genre. This could format into something good

Traceuse - Very stylish. The unconventional layout makes sense and evokes movement, which is entirely appropriate. I couldn't find how Traceurs get cards in their hands, but I imagine this will be rectified in another module. Definitely looking for to reading it.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

I will be busy all tommrrow, so

THIS IS MY OFFICIAL ENTRY FOR MODULE 2 FOR JURASSIC CENTRAL PARK

I had a lot of fun writing this one. Module 2 is a story module for Jurassic Central Park. It provides the guidelines for a GM wanting to run a sample adventure. It is also illustrated, because I love drawing dinosaurs. This module sets some tonal elements, and hopefully helps a GM or player decide exactly what a challenge should be.

For those too lazy to click, here is what could be written on the back of the book

Your girlfriend Shelia has started to get suspicious, asking to meet your parents, whom you’ve already told her are perfectly normal humans. She tricked you into agreeing to dinner with them TONIGHT at your place. The problem is your parents are bones in the Natural History Museum, but not to worry. Your friends have agreed to pose as your parents and make the evening magical. The only problem is you and your friends actually are dinosaurs, and if Shelia finds out, its end of relationship. Of course, this is the worst time for Jack Horner, Famous Paleontologist to show up, so of course he does. Did I mention Shelia is expecting a home cooked meal?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sL1qS9pcdFm-LfHNgKC04ejX6oMisZFaSjG_a_yR7Wk/edit

Also for easy of bonus verification, here are my reviews
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3497690&userid=104087#post406461289

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3497690&userid=104087#post406470531

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Indeed, thanks for the reviews. That is a lot of reading to do!

Also good luck to everyone else. You are almost there! I can say I want to see how every game shapes up.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

sc4rs posted:

In what I hope will work as both my evidence of playing a game and enjoying it AND my playtest of another game, I hereby present:

Jurassic Central Park Part 1
Jurassic Central Park Part 2

Kudos to my friends for acting silly for the benefit of the internet.

All in all, we had a great time.

Some thoughts - as the DM, it was hard to keep up with everything. I definitely missed a bunch of Urges on video review, and as my players mentioned in the wrap-up at the end, they were trying to perform them once or twice and I totally missed it. Also, their jobs and Species never came up, and though I tried to get them to make Opposed Challenges they never did.

Ultimately, though, they thought it was a great party game, and we had a lot of really funny moments and all had a blast.

Also I talk too fast. Sorry. :blush:

Thanks for doing this. Upon viewing, I see how jobs and species didn't come up, which is an obvious weakness. Maybe don't define these qualities before the game, but allow the player to say "Its a good thing I'm an accountant" before a challenge , allowing them to define it on the fly. Urges aren't working quite how I want them to. Maybe have the player interject? Some sort of bonus maybe. I'll think about that and any suggestions would be good.

The timing for the overall seems really spot on though. I'm also happy with the challenge timing as there seemed to be a good mix of successes and failures. I'll have to add something about equal distribution of drumsticks verse wings in the rules.

Did you do any trading before hand?

Good job adapting to your players behavior btw. It did feel like a session of Whose Line

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Well, across the finish line I cross. First the bonus!

I played some sort of ranger. I thought it wise to "add more skulls"

A cleric addresses the masses

Rolling 11s will not help when the masses are being eaten by demons

One of my companions, playing an Archer-esque thief

And the party wizard, who had some sort of magic missile gun

Now for module 3! In two parts A cheat sheet for players and advice for GMs

This has been a lot of fun in the writing, I'm thrilled someone has played it, and I want to get to the playing of others games. Unfortunately, I'll be at Star Wars Celebration all this weekend, and I'll be at DragonCon all next weekend. I'll try and play in a game if someone runs it online though. Tuesday and Wednesday are looking open.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

I can play tomorrow, and I also want to play Retrocausality. #alldayplaytest?

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

I can do both, but I'd prefer today. Sooner the better

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Looking for one more person for Retrocausality

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

So we got a quarter of the way through a Retrocausality game before real life reared its ugly head. Roll20 chatlog is here

My impressions is that its really fun to play. The system seems mechanically solid, and the premise is really fun to work with. The tl;dr version of the playtest is our hero's arrive at the local Doctor's garage, only to have it explode, leaving only a shiny van, which happens to be a time machine. The neophyte time travelers decide to travel back 5 minutes to recruit themselves to help solve the mystery of the explosion, but end up distracting themselves so much that their past selves die in the explosion. Unfortunately, that's where it ends.

I'm going to try again tomorrow at 7pm EST.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

I'll be on within the next 30 to run Retrocausality. Make sure your time machines have gas in them.

Edit: it helps to say its 5 till 7

Double Edit: Click here to play

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

I have to report failure on my part on taking part in a play test, unless the quarter game I ran counts. I will be busy for the rest of the month. The shame is immense.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

So Mad Rhetoric ran Dungeon Manager last night, and here is the log
http://pastebin.com/H2gN8tWJ

It seems like a fun game, but some of the moves seem more powerful than others, and it seems like it would go on awhile with more than three players

My character sheet

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

http://pastebin.com/QWuQwLpK

I'm pasting the log for the THUD game we played, but I don't have time to comment much on it. Going without my computer for the weekend, but wanted to post that. Also we ran Retrocausality, but the drat log on roll20 isn't working. I'll summarize later.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

I just realized I didn't talk about my experience running Retrocausality and playing in TH/UD

Retrocausality - Unfortunately, roll20 ate the chat log, so I can't post that. Running it was a lot of fun. The second play through, the players didn't end up killing themselves in the past, but they ended up going to the future in or to look for Dr. Martin, whome the house belong to. We got to use the individual skills of the characters and the time skills. These systems seem to work really well together being distinct enough to matter, but similar enough to make sense. It really is a good system.

Deathrow Live - I played the skater guy who grinded the Vietnam Memorial. My comments will be fairly similar. The setting and the fluff are great. The system probably needs a few tweaks, as it kind of broke down with only 3 PCs, and I'd like to see more reason to downvote someone. Part of this is probably a problem with playing over IRC, and not being able to see facial expressions of others and pick up on social queues.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

alakath posted:

Thanks for the feedback, Ulta!

I keep thinking about the part I've quoted, because I've heard it from several people. It's actually a rather difficult problem to solve, because you're (likely) going to have more upvotes than downvotes just because of social norms; you're playing with friends, and you don't want to rag on your friends too much.

So far, this is the best solution I've come up: The GM character will now always vote, partially addressing the problem of four players being too few. If you, as a player, vote the same as the GM does, you get an experience point. So basically, as long as the GM is being objective, it encourages all the other players to be objective in their voting. That said, I'm not sure it's the right solution in the least; it could just encourage votes to be more one-sided, which is not what I want.

I'm just curious, for the people who've played it, what do you think would be a good incentive to downvote?

Maybe a Fiasco-esque approach? You only have so many up votes and down votes? Or you can only up vote after you've down voted or something like that.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Its feels really nice to be in the company I'm in, especially having played both Retrocausality and Deathrow Live!. Its fine coming in third when its so close and the competition is so good. Ettin and alakath, congrats on your victory, you definitely deserve it.

sc4rs, thanks to you and your friends for my official playtest. Its really a cool feeling seeing people play something you made.

Rulebook, thanks for running a tight ship, thanks for writing all those reviews, and thanks for providing challenges. Sometimes its just what a person needs to spark those creative juices. Really, I wasn't going to write a game about eating chicken wings on my own time without something at my back.

To everyone who made it, and everyone who tried, there isn't a bad concept in the house. I'm looking forward to seeing what pops up in October. I'll have something to show too (and its forming out to be really good in my head at least)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

LongDarkNight posted:

Thanks, Ettin, for putting all of that in one place. What is the etiquiette on using these games? I've been asked to be RPG coordinator for a small convention and think Deathrow and Jurassic Central Park would be fun to put on the list as they could be taught quickly and don't require much set up. Would either author have an objection?
I've been meaning to put a Creative Commons thing at the bottom if Jurassic Central Park, but I'd be honored. The setup is a bit problematic, since food is required, but if you get past that its really simple.