Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ulta posted:

So we got a quarter of the way through a Retrocausality game before real life reared its ugly head. Roll20 chatlog is here

My impressions is that its really fun to play. The system seems mechanically solid, and the premise is really fun to work with. The tl;dr version of the playtest is our hero's arrive at the local Doctor's garage, only to have it explode, leaving only a shiny van, which happens to be a time machine. The neophyte time travelers decide to travel back 5 minutes to recruit themselves to help solve the mystery of the explosion, but end up distracting themselves so much that their past selves die in the explosion. Unfortunately, that's where it ends.

I'm going to try again tomorrow at 7pm EST.

Hey, I'm the shitbird who screwed this playtest up. Unexpected IRL stuff. Mea Culpa
I'll definitely be around tomorrow at 7. I'd like to help finish the playtest, I'll hit up IRC first.
Again, I'm sorry for killing the game, it was shaping up to be total fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
ThU/D Deathrow Live!
GM: Sc4rs
Players:
Error 404
Ulta
Flaky Biscuit

This game was hilarious, I'm pretty sure most of us were cracking up pretty constantly through this.

I would totally play this game again, but I don't think I'd recommend it for folks who haven't either done improv or played RPGs before. This game is simple and rules-lite, but I could see it dragging a bit for someone who was shy or lacked confidence to just go for the insane poo poo.

Another thing we came across during play was that in order to have the full range of options, you really can't play this with less than 4 people, unless the GM flips a coin or something as a tie breaker.
with 3 players that left only two of us able to vote on any given action which meant the only outcomes were critical success, critical failure, or tie. I would suggest having the GM flip a coin in those kind of circumstances to provide more outcomes with >4 players.

Summary: Well written, easy to learn and play, loving hilarious. There was an issue with resolving actions with a low number of players. Would not recommend as someone's first RPG, but a solid choice for anyone else. 8/10

Retrocausality
GM: Ulta
Players:
Error 404
Sc4rs

This game is a ton of fun, and I think I'm going to try running it for my IRL group soon.

The rules were easy to grasp on a first read-through, and it was really easy to jump right into. We played the Fan:Fiction module, and even though IRL stuff had us finishing early, we managed to finish a timeloop, and try at least one of nearly every kind of action.

Retrocausality lends itself to a slower and more conversational game, we found ourselves cracking dumb time travel jokes and it just flowed right into the game, instead of being distracting. The skills operate very similar to PDQ (which is very much a compliment) and once we got the hang of it, the matching suits/time maneuvers made a lot of sense and were a lot of fun to mess with.

Summary: I think Retrocausality is a solid game that very much achieves what it sets out to do (make an off-the-rails time travel adventure) I loved how this game rewarded you for either trying to fix the timeline, or purposely loving it up, in the case of our game, we had one of each kind of character. It just made the game that much better that we could both achieve what we wanted in character without loving over the other person, or putting the GM in a corner he couldn't talk out of. 9/10

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I have also been making an effort to show up in irc to see if there's games I can help with. I'll continue doing so tomorrow and maybe friday.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
gently caress you, Errol Widget
GM: Drugged Dwarf
Players:
Radioactive Bears
Flaky Biscuit
Gorbash
Error 404

First thing, I'm sorry I had to cut out right before the end. I played Prince Albert.

This game has a lot of potential for a fun casual game. The rules are fairly simple in layout, but could have used a bit more clarification, such as more examples of play. Many of us in the test felt that the setting could have used a lot more fleshing out. I personally am unfamiliar with the Amber series that this game is apparently set in, and so I feel like that unfamiliarity contributed to the clashes in tone that others had issue with.

The Favor points also had problems, The only way you can gain them is to succeed in contests vs other players. you start out with very few, and when they're gone, you're out of the game (which almost happened to 2-4 of us players in the first couple contests). This puts players into more of a competition with each other (which isn't really very fun) versus a co-operative story.

Suggestions:
  • Give players more favor points to start with
  • Give everyone more ways to earn favor (optional: more ways to use/lose it as well)
  • Allow players to concede to Objections, or for a mutually beneficial outcome instead.
  • Flesh out more of the setting and give more examples of play, tone, and style.

Final thoughts, I liked this game, it was silly, and and relatively easy to pick up. The voting mechanic is problematic, but with some more work, I could definitely see myself running this for my group or even a party of non-gamers. 6/10

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Roll20 kind of screwed us out of logs when Ulta ran the second (longer) game. And the first playtest was cut way short.

Maybe this weekend somebody would want to run/log a fresh one in IRC? Sort of a Winner's Circle, final playtest thing?