Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Is gently caress You Erick Wujcik an acceptable game name?

e; this is not an entry post, to be clear. I want to know if "gently caress You Erick Wujcik" would make a good game name if I were to enter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Okay, fine.

I am making gently caress You Erick Wujcik, a game about bored immortal royalty who can travel trans-dimensionally competing for prestige so they can dick each other over in front of their dad.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sion posted:

ICE Breakers

A game about cyberspace, snow crashes, neromancers and punching through ICE.

gently caress yessssssssssssssssss.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Capfalcon posted:

Fight Ghosts with Ghosts: (Hopefully after I get a less lovely title)

No, Fight Ghosts with Ghosts is an amazing title. It is a title that would make me want to play the game based on title alone. :allears:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I considered keeping this until 00:56 BST, but I want to go buy a big bag of Maltesers now and I wouldn't want to miss the deadline because of stupid posturing. So here's my outline for FYEW: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15337665/FYEW.pdf

No fancy graphics or anything but it hopefully gives you an idea of how the game will play.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

Next time: gently caress You Erick Wucjik and Arcana. Also any last-minute entries.

Aw man, Mors, you are making me feel inadequate for not doing the same thing. :ohdear:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
While we're waiting for RBH to do magic judge stuff, here are a couple of ideas that were collectively had by #badwrongfun but no one bothered to make into a game:

Winson Paine came up with the idea of having "God of War: Leverage where you have to scam the gods or punish them ironically." He added, "YOU HAVE RUINED ZEUS" and "THUNDERBOLT FUTURES HAVE CRASHED."

On a similar note, Hamboning proposed that "a game where you topple the gods by undermining their faith base via conversion and double crossing would be cool."

Finally, RPZip and I came up with the idea of LUCHADOR OPERA, wherein the players are luchadors in an opera about wrestling. There is no combat, only singing. In Italian.

Hopefully the theme for next month's contest will be LUCHADORS and I will be able to make LUCHADOR OPERA happen.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Assuming you planned, of course.

In the interest of full disclosure I feel I should quote the following snippet from #badwrongfun on synirc:

[22:57] <LemonCurdistan> spoiler: my game outline did not contain a project outline because I am literally making this poo poo up as I go along

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

HiKaizer posted:

Well that would make it 17:00 PM on Saturday for me I think? As I'm GMT+10

It's 1am Saturday GMT +1, so no, it is not 5pm Saturday GMT +10. I am not sure how you got 22 from 7+10.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
And here you go, my woefully under-formatted first module for gently caress You Erick Wujcik, the basic rules: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15337665/FYEW1%20-%20Basic%20Rules.pdf

Next module will most likely be advanced rules (with a couple of ideas to make the game rely less on voting if you want to swing that way) plus some setting ideas, and the third will be an example of play either made up or cribbed from a playtest.

As I am terribad at art stuff and more importantly believe that my game can stand on the basis of its own artistic merit and terrible 90s-esque jargon infestation, I shan't be chasing any of the bonus points for this round. :smug:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

alakath posted:

gently caress YOU ERICK WUJCIK, by Lemon Curdistan: The basic concept of spoiled space-princes bitching at each other is hilarous. And you know I'm a sucker for voting mechanisms.

The eldest-to-youngest mechanism is clever, since older siblings are clearly more important. Being grounded is also amusing.

My biggest concern is the lack of structure. I think you be better off with some sort of mechanism to get the stories started. Say, a deck of Apples to Apples (Cards Against Humanity) cards that the King draws his three words from?

Hey, thanks for the review - that will be coming in the advanced rules module, along with Advantages (you start with three which are not revealed to other Princes, whenever a Contest is around one of your Advantages you get +1 vote - like a free point of Favour spent for you - and must reveal the Advantage you're using; there may or may not be a mechanic for buying Advantages at a cost of 3 Favour or something).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
A little over three hours left before the deadline, and I am just starting on module #2.

Here, have an image-based preview:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Gau posted:

Lemon, you have to go and upstage me, don't you?

I started planning the contents of Module Two half an hour before I made that post.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I think Red Mage is trying to suggest something here. :confused:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
And here is module two of gently caress You Erick Wujcik, the Optional Rules: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15337665/FYEW2%20-%20Optional%20Rules.pdf

I have managed to make this even less legible than module one! :toot:

Included are:
- rules to generate a list of terms for the King to choose during the Day phase, rather than leaving it up to the King's imagination;
- rules to introduce character abilities to the game to help make voting less important, if that's your boat;
- rules to basically play something vaguely more like Amber Diceless except without all the suck. These are actually fairly different from the regular FYEW rules and a lot closer to what I had in mind when I originally entered this contest. I'm glad I ditched most of them in favour of making the game about cosmic teenagers, but I figured I would present them as part of this module.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

MadRhetoric posted:

I would very much like to play gently caress You, Eric Wulgus for the bonus objective. I'll see if I can run a game of Nothing Amazing, using the Alternate Pitch rules in Module 1 if I'm too lazy to come up with a sample pitch.

If you do this online, totally stick your logs or whatever you've got online - my third module is going to be an example of play, so it would own if it could be a real one instead of made-up!

e; also I find the serial misspellings of WujcikWozniak hilarious.

e2; designer note: no, there is no fixed list of Advantages. You don't need one because people will automatically gravitate towards broad categories of actions if they want their Advantages to come up in play. :science:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Will you be doing the reviews for the 17th, RBH? I want to find out how terrible I get scored for having the most uninspiring layout in my advanced rules module. :smug:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
:toot:

Here is Module 3 of FYEW, the Example of Play! It sucks even worse than the last module, thus continuing my downward spiral: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15337665/FYEW3%20-%20%28Not%29%20Actual%20Play.pdf

As my tradgames playing, I was planning on running Last Stand on Monday and offering that up, but I was sick and couldn't. Fortunately, I played DW with fax on Sunday! Unfortunately, he hadn't configured things right so you can literally only hear him and none of the players:

aldantefax posted:

I figured out that unfortunately it captured my audio but nobody else's due to either how the audio settings on my computer were set or Google Hangouts is incompatible with direct audio capture, so it's literally 2 1/2 hours of me talking to myself while looking at a black screen on the left and two chat boxes on the right.

edit: if you want you can review it here http://www.twitch.tv/gtfax/b/329217579

I am Iskandr of Algamar, the mighty Fighter. This probably won't count but what the hell, it was fun anyway.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

blastron posted:

I am incredibly displeased to report that an ongoing work emergency has killed all of my free time and creative energy, so I'm not going to be able to finish Module 3, which is a shame, because I have like twenty hours of work put into it. I might finish it up later, but will unfortunately not be able to make the deadline.

Dude, post what you have.

You won't be DQ'd and will at least have submitted something.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Druggeddwarf posted:

Well, can we do gently caress you Eric whatever over Skype our something like that? There seems to be enough of us.

Only the King is allowed to write stuff down, so yeah, use Skype or Google hangouts or something. It's also probably not going to take an hour to play if you go for the recommended amount of players! Whoops.

I promised Ettin I would reciprocate and playtest Retrocausality but Ulta has that covered! Everything that's made it to the end looks hella cool though so I'll pick a game to playtest a bit later based on which ones still need testing. Sadly, I can't do Amp 2 Amp or Dinosaur Central Park due to lack of IRL people to play with, and Intersector makes my brain instinctively recoil in fear and confusion and :psyboom:.

European timezone is going to be loving terrible to run these. :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
So are there actually people who will be available evenings GMT this week? Everyone so far is a bloody Yank. :argh:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Everyone is in some tiny amount of luck! Since this week (and especially friday) are turning out to be immense hectic bullshit for me personally, I will extend the deadline for the playtests to the second of september - that's next sunday. That gives everyone a weekend to playtest, which I am sure many of you will take the opportunity to jump on.

That means also that the deadline for me handing out prizes changes to September 9th. So be it.

Thanks. This means European people aren't totally hosed over.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
So, did anyone actually get around to running FYEW?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Oh, and LemonCurdistan has been Disqualified for whining about rules that have been posted for a month. An image will follow later.

I bear the burden of martyrdom gladly.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
gently caress you I'm disqualified but I'll still respond to feedback if I want dadRulebook!

Thanks for playing this, for starters.

Second: it's not actually set in Amber, and if it were polished up it would definitely use different names - the Amber/Pattern/etc. names are all just placeholders lifted from Amber Diceless rather than the books themselves. Basically, the only thing you need to know about the setting is that there's a realm at the centre of the universe ruled by a King, the King has X spoiled children as their Princes, and there are an infinity of alternate realities and fantasy realms that the Princes can go exploring.

Thirdly: it is designed to be an adversarial game, not a co-operative game - this is why you can't concede contests for mutual benefit, incidentally. You start with 3 Favour to make it easy to be knocked out, as I wanted the game to play fairly fast. I think the problem is mostly that 10 Favour is a lot - it would work better with the target as 5 or 6 Favour. Keep in mind, you're supposed to always be on the lookout for flaws in the other Princes' stories that you can exploit for your gain (this is why the Princes aren't allowed to write anything down).

e; also, I did actually write an example of play: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15337665/FYEW3%20-%20%28Not%29%20Actual%20Play.pdf

I'm looking forward to any feedback on how to improve the game, though! Thanks for posting it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Flaky Biscuit posted:

Now if this was a party game where you had up to eight or so players, that would be better.

It's supposed to be, which is why the rules state the game is designed for six people and a GM! The original goal was for this to be played in under an hour, hopefully with less than three "rounds."

Flaky Biscuit posted:

Third, I kind of see the King as a peripheral character. I didn't really feel that they were important to the game (besides the tie breaking duty), and could be safely removed without changing anything, which would allow a smaller group to tell more stories.

This is why the rules include a suggestion to have the tiebreaker/word-picker stuff rotate among the players every turn.

Flaky Biscuit posted:

All in all, I'm just not sure what this did that Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen didn't do better.

:ssh: I'm not sure either.

Some good feedback and suggestions, though. Thanks! :)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Absolutely no surprises here. :)

Congrats to all and thanks very much to RBH for running this!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Rulebook forgot to tell the tale of how he "misplaced" the prize last week, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Okay, so Rulebook had this to say when prompted:

quote:

[23:24] <LemonCurdistan> RulebookHeavily I am calling you out
[23:24] <LemonCurdistan> post the story
[23:24] <LemonCurdistan> the story that made me go "what" over and over again
[23:25] <RulebookHeavily> hahahaah
[23:25] <LemonCurdistan> no seriously
[23:25] <LemonCurdistan> you can't loving not post it
[23:27] <RulebookHeavily> if you have the chatlog just post it yourself and see what happens

So I'm doing it. I'm going to post the definite proof that Iceland is literally insane or something:

quote:

[16:02] <RulebookHeavily> this is going to be one of those days where literally nothing goes right
[16:03] <RulebookHeavily> my buses overshoot their stops multiple times and are late, I still can't get home and now the secret contest prize is missing
[16:06] <RulebookHeavily> also my lunch order came out wrong twice and a dude stole my pen
[16:41] <LemonWorkistan> what is the secret contest prize
[16:41] <LemonWorkistan> can it be replaced
[16:41] <RulebookHeavily> No, but we think we know where it can be found
[16:44] <RulebookHeavily> basically the issue is that it's entirely possible, and even probable, that Stephanie from Lazytown stole it for the weekend
[16:44] <RulebookHeavily> I have
[16:44] <LemonWorkistan> what
[16:44] <RulebookHeavily> just
[16:44] <RulebookHeavily> I don't even know where my life is anymore man

Or in plainer terms:

quote:

[17:41] <RulebookHeavily> basically I left a certain book with the production crew of Lazytown to be signed as the secret contest prize (shh don't tell anyone)
[17:41] <RulebookHeavily> And, well! Steph liked it
[17:42] <RulebookHeavily> And now she has it for the weekend