Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
Alright, Tentative name Project Zed Last of the Living.

Here's the pitch: You're normal people during a normal day. Everything is going fine until your door starts getting knocked down.
You're not a fighter. All you can do is try to survive until someone comes to bail you out.
The game will be 99% about managing your resources: Time, food, Water, Shelter - And each other. Since it's a zombie game, combat is inevitable, but it is almost guaranteed to get you killed. If you get in a situation where combat is the only option, you'd better hope you can get out of it alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
Logo for my game, courtesy of Bahamut

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
Sudden events make it so I have to drop out. Put me on the wall of shame :c

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
This playtest was physically painful, and combat is way too effective and large of a subsystem. It took us an hour AFTER character creation to just get through one round. The document is really shittily set up, and a lot of the mechanics are unnecessarily obtuse.

The concept is cool, but just not well done. There's way too much temptation to get into combat, because it's so effective. What's supposed to be a game of politics and persuasion and resource management turns into basically risk.

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
Emperor Mittens

Alright, I've cooled down now, so I'll actually post what I think about it and how I think it could be fixed.

To start this off, the concept is HELLA cool. You're Ministers for different parts of the galaxy, who report back to have have to get the favor of the Emperor. To do this, you need to tribute resources to the emperor - Energy to ultimately win the game, and the other resources to advance and get stat ups.

Problem number 1: On the fly derived stats. At the start of each turn, you get your regions resources. The problem is, all of these are derived in different ways, and have different effects. There is no effective way to tell what stat is going to do what.

Suggested solutions: One way you can solve this is Tables. Yes, Tables. I hate them personally, but when your math is as complicated as this, it actually speeds things up, and gives you an idea of what you should get. Another way to solve it is to have a Character reference Sheet of some kind that tells you all the formulas and what everything does in an organized way. That brings us to

Problem number 2: The game document is scattered and unorganized. If you want to find something in it because you want to do something with it, you have to search the entire document (which is mercifully not too long), figure out that you're actually looking at the wrong time that it's mentioned, look over the document again- oh, crap, people are waiting on you. Okay, gently caress it, let's go to war.

Suggested Solutions: You could use hyperlinks in the google document, but really, that's a stop-gap measure, and not a permanent one. The only thing I can suggest here is to lay out everything better. Figure out what the layout with the least content overlap is and use it. As it is, the wordcount could be cut down a lot. Another thing that would help amazingly - A Table of Contents and Index. Not having those means you have to search through the document. Even if it's only 10 pages or so, that would help a lot.

Problem number 3: As I let on in #2, combat is way too attractive of an option. It appears to be the only way to take regions from what I was able to see, and it is a large portion of the rules, so it ultimately seems encouraged. This might cause it to be disqualified, but I think it actually sneaks in under the required word limit. Regardless, it seems like the game is trying to be about politics, resource management and intrigue when the combat rules say it's about being the last man standing.

Solution: Create obvious reasons you don't want to be at war. Make it so that if you go to war, you can't do anything else that turn, or if you go to war, the emperor loses favor from you. I don't really know how you would deal with this one effectively.

I could go on for about 2 more points, but I'm running out of time. I really hope that you make this game better and more accessible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
Holy poo poo this is a real thing you did RBH

What the christ