Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
Is doing shots an adequate diceless mechanic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I was thinking a couple of things:

Oh Snap!: The Game of Being an rear end in a top hat - Power sets/playbook based. Rock Paper Scissors power interaction. Undermine your erstwhile friends and be the last man standing.

More Songs About Counterculture: Ad-hoc hipster game with diminishing returns; stuff stops working as well because it's "too mainstream" but effects that are defined by people using them get more smaller effects. It'd be a good way to do lolNasu magic, if you're into that sort of thing.

Nothing Amazing Happens Here: FLCL the game. Slice of life with anime assholes; poker deck based like Raspberry Heaven.

Something Something Persona Something Something Hero's Journey: Turning the tarot Fool's Journey into an RPG somehow.

Hangover: Munchausen with booze. Piecing together what happened last night.

Not sure if I'm going to enter (you know how I get), but spitballing ideas is always fun.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Nothing Amazing Happens Here (すごいことなくない): A game of life, love, and robots. Players go through the day to day lives of the ludicrous, the powerful, and the ludicrously powerful in an ordinary town.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I've got Sportacus, so there's no reason to wait for the second Cheeky Bastard objective.

Here's Nothing Amazing in all its terrible glory.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Wait, Mors, why is an outline that works as the Table of Contents for a document that doesn't exist a bad thing? That's what an outline is, at least for writing.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Assuming you planned, of course.

O ye of faith.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Gau posted:

ni nimi kama e mi pilin ike

君に言ったら訳が分からないよ

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Alright, I should probably set up some goals.

By August 10, I'll have quickie playable rules done.

By August 17 I will have finished characters.

By August 24, I will have the sample Pitches and advice done.

At this point, I have the first draft of the first module done. I'll be going over it up until the deadline. For the 90's Smug bonus, can I be self-depreciating or do I have to be serious?

EDIT: Module ready for submission.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

sc4rs posted:

http://www.random.org/playing-cards/ is what I've been using, but I don't have "hands" in my game for this very reason - keeping track of it on a computer seems to be a pain and I can't find anywhere that does it well.

You could just have people draw from the thing, then keep track of what cards they have. What's a little extra scratchpaper on a computer?

If you have duplicates, keep hitting the button until you get a clean draw.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

That was so smug I'm choking on your hubris. Good job.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Since I was too :effort: to do the log (and don't want to waste anyone's time with meaningless incremental updates), I might as well review.

ThU/D: The smug 90's ad blurb has swag on at least a hundred thousand, and the underlying mechanic is simple and clever. I see notes of Primetime Adventures in the character generation method, which is cool. A lot of the chapters repeat the same information over and over; once you get right down to it, the whole game could be banged out in six pages. From Getting Started to Structure of Play is in fact six pages. The HP and Experience systems are kind of incongruous for the kind of play this game engenders. All in all, I dig it.

Psychodrive: The randomization element is completely removed, which is nice. Negotiation is cool, but I wish there were more concrete explanations of what you have to give up to get the effect you want. Honestly, a game could be made based on bargaining with the GM/your fellow players; it's certainly the most interesting part of the game to me so far.

The conflict section is a combat section with the serial numbers filed off, and then there's an actual combat section. I feel it isn't skirting the rules of the contest only because the entire game is so simple and there's no concessions given
from the loser (so no "take their stuff" in the verboten "kill people and take their stuff" definition of combat). As a whole, the system isn't quite elegant or clever enough to sell itself and there's not a hell of a lot else but it so far. It's very FATE with its Stress, consequences, and various tracks, but FATE lives and dies on the setting it's attached to and the Aspects you give it, of which this game has neither yet.

Retrocausality: You really like dinosaurs, don't you Ettin?

The rules are clean and well presented, and the game feels professional. Having the probability of success for each difficulty level is a nice touch, but I'm confused as to how major villains are both 11s and As at the same time. The timeline mechanic is aces, but I can see a bad run of the draw lead to an easy Paradox Game Over (if everybody in a four person party fucks up that's 2+3+4+5. If your players are uncreative shits or someone bites it, all it takes is a botch or two.)

I'm also not entirely sure if this game is supposed to be co-operative, competitive, or both; the Large machine denotes the former, but paradox rules and inter-traveler conflict having a lot of words laid out for it makes me think the latter two. It's plenty cool, though.

Intersector: I still don't know what the gently caress. Flaky, for God's sake put an inclusive glossary at the beginning of your modules. The most important thing in a sci-fi novel is explaining the crazy terms you come up with, or giving them immediate, evocative comparisons to real world things. It's doubly important because your crazy terms explain how you play your game. I feel you really should have kicked out the basic rules module first as a Rosetta Stone to the rest of your game.

The card/board system is interesting as far as I can understand it, but there are rules here I feel like I'm missing. It's cool that you have several groups with wildly different playstyles, but you're expecting people to learn six wildly different games without telling them the basic rules. Just one or two of those groups would be enough (Builder and Euclid are my personal choices). I (still!) can't make heads or tails of your loving game, but it's definitely the most ambitious one here. I'd love it to death if it made any sense.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

poo poo, this whole thing almost completely slipped my mind. DETERMINATION! Oh well, here's Module 2: Archetypes. Module 1 has had some touch-ups done to it as well.

Also, reviews in haiku form.

Ministry of Heaven:

Blackjack, interesting.
Fiasco scenes work well;
Why not gently caress about?

Jurassic Central Park:

I like chicken wings
Rules stop me from eating wings
Makes game gimmicky

Mage Game, You Know, Whatever:

Hipster game but good
Spell mechanics cut-throat fun
Casters reign supreme :smaug:

Stock Sharks:

Clever mechanic
Trick flips will get messy fast
The gently caress's a "loonie"?

Justice is Blind:

Pro presentation.
Redtext truths strong mechanic
housed in legalese.

Disarmament:

Fallout meets Colbert.
Setting strong but some rules stay
quite mysterious.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I would very much like to play gently caress You, Eric Wulgus for the bonus objective. I'll see if I can run a game of Nothing Amazing, using the Alternate Pitch rules in Module 1 if I'm too lazy to come up with a sample pitch.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Anybody want to play gently caress You Eric Wendigo tomorrow? I won't have an IRL group until the contest is pretty much over and want to get my game on.

And I probably should talk about what my game is about. Eh, third module's advice so it can go in there.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Not gonna make the bonus because I don't have any (elfgaming) friends, but here's the third and final module. Advice and Sample Pitches. Well, it's just one pitch, and advice for building one.

Pretty sure nobody gives a gently caress and I have no chance of winning or getting my game playtested, but hey. It's a game, and it's done. gently caress it.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

If DD isn't able to, I'll try to playtest gently caress You Eric Yadcheck. If he does, I'll do Ministry of Heaven or ThU/D.

And you honestly shouldn't suffer through Nothing Amazing. It'd be better to play anime bullshit in PTA, Fiasco, Raspberry Heaven, Toon or Maid. Maybe Risus.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I've got ThU/D or Last Days if Ettin's got gently caress You Eric I'm out of clever names and Ministry.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

All that redacted text :psydwarf:

Paying Forward is an artifact of earlier rules (Moves were all supposed to cost NBP at one point).

You wager any NBP used to Press Quirks; if the pressed player folds, every pressing player gives her 1 NBP. If the press was to color the ending, that's it. If it was to change the outcome, they keep the second. If the pressed player matches the bet, the pressing players lose what they put up and the outcome doesn't change.

In either mode, the drama card is played and that unlocks Moves. You make a character, decide the playstyle, then make connections. If you pick SMF, you get dealt cards, which you then trade with your connects to make connections. Coordinating with your connections for Moves and poo poo is a big part of SMF's metagame. It's why you trade cards with your connections in SMF's pregame. With RDH, you have a wildcard and know your connections' wildcard because you topdecked for each of them. Reread the Make Connections part of the Rules Module.

EDIT: Here's a cleaned up and marginally fleshed out version of the rules together.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

TK: That went about as well as I expected without examples or proper playtesting. Thanks for playing, glad you (sorta?) liked it.

I'll try to run Dungeon Manager around 6-8 PM EST tonight on #alldayplaytest, so motherfuckers better show up.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Gentlegoons and...just gentlegoons really, we're recruiting for Dungeon Manager: A King's Reward in #alldayplaytest.

Right now.

:frogon: and :getin:

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

As has been said, we ran Dungeon Manager last night. we were the King, of course. We enjoyed ourselves, but it was hard for us to play the game over IRC. Ulta had playing cards we could use, so things worked out.

We find the game to be solid fun, but feel it would take far too long to play in any form outside of Small Dungeon. At least 30 cards to a dungeon and 32 cards to a player's deck is on the high side; if it weren't for us only having a 14 card deck the game could have lasted several more hours. Even so, the players were unable to complete King of Dreams. It is unclear what greater significance Spades have. It was also quite difficult for us to gain seven of anything, although that may be a conceit of the amount of players.

The moves are nice, but every player ended up taking "I'll Take That", as it was one of, if not the best moves in the game. King moves are also very powerful. We are not entirely sure what the aim of the game's conflict is; having the King start at a powerful mechanical advantage but with a much smaller deck makes us think we are meant to lose while causing problems for the other players. If so, why is the pitch portion of the game first?

There are some rules discrepancies. It is not clear to us what occurs during Bribery; does the player whose unresolved card is taken lose their turn? If so, that is immensely powerful, especially if as King you can easily buy it back. Certain moves refer to zones in the plural, but there is only a single zone designated as such. We assumed this gave us free reign over piles and zones. There is also a reference to "Keep and Lose actions", but the given nomenclature in all other areas is "Gain and Lose". We also found the shuffle and cut mechanics vaguely pointless.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Since I'm not elfgaming, I could try running Last Days, Disarmament, or FYEW today.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I said I'd do Disarmament or Last Days, so I'll do Disarmament or Last Days if people show up.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Wait, we could've counted PBP as playing games? Well gently caress me.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Unfortunately, the ones who need playtesting the most are the most daunting games to play. You know from the heartbreaker contest I'm down to play in or run anything. I still don't know what the gently caress with Intersector or I would've run it by now, and I'm in school so I just don't have the time to run Arenaball unless I played it very short.

If anyone wants to play anything, show up today or Friday in IRC. I will find a way to get this poo poo done.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Nah, it's very well put together, but I still have the names for stuff as a stumbling block. RBH's latest review says everything I could about why this is still difficult to me.

And how do you make simulacra? What are anchors, mechanically? Do you find the anchor when you overcome all obstacles in a given sphere? What does the GM do in their own sphere, narratively?

gnome: Even if your players thought their session of Nothing Amazing was nothing amazing; I laughed at the characters and their quirks so they were doing something right. They got the gist of things better than they thought from where I'm sitting. The Moves thing has come up twice now, so that's definitely a problem.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Flaky Biscuit posted:

All in all, I'm just not sure what this did that Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen didn't do better.

To be fair, Munchausen is the once and future king of storygames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

The good guys won.

Props to Ettin, who not only had this thing in the bag from day one, but managed to do the impossible and make a time travel game that makes sense. Props to alakath for taking an elegant resolution system nobody else saw and running with it, and Ulta for making eating chicken wings a legitimate entertainment venture that doesn't involve schadenfreude or masochism.

Should've taken bets on this; would've made bank predicting the win place and show accurately. Could've made so much Goon money.