Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

That is real journalism.

I'm surprised someone hasn't tried to ferry one onto Mackinac Island for emergency purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

lol

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/montreal-man-on-the-hook-for-thousands-of-dollars-after-a-feature-on-his-tesla-caused-an-accident-1.6873830

quote:

George Ghazzoul is warning other drivers about the new Smart Summon feature on Tesla vehicles after his self-driving vehicle side-swiped another in a parking lot.

When Ghazzoul bought a Tesla two years ago, he admitted it wasn't just the car's style that drove him; it was his love of technology.

"Really, the selling point for me is the fact you get software updates and you always get new features on the car," he said.

One of the latest downloadable features is Smart Summon.

Like a valet service, it allows your car to come to you using your phone's GPS as its target destination.

Ghazzoul decided to give it a try on April 10 when he was at the Fairview Shopping Centre parking lot.

He used the feature to summon his parked car to pick him up.

"I was within range when I activated it," he said. "I saw it moving initially, but then it took a sharp turn right instead of pulling out of the spot first." He tried to deactivate the feature, but the car didn't stop in time, so he ended up sideswiping the car parked beside it.

The estimate for damage to both cars was several thousand dollars. Ghazzoul contacted Tesla about the accident.

He said since it was their feature that malfunctioned, they should take responsibility, but he said they told him to contact his insurance company instead and that it was not their problem since he activated the feature.

His insurance company, meanwhile, said he was fully at fault for the accident.

What's worse for Ghazzoul is that he has since discovered that it wasn't even legal for him to use this driverless feature in public spaces in Quebec.

"The rules were written before the technology existed," according to George Iny, the director of the Automobile Protection Association.

He said that it's up to drivers to know the rules of the road, including the fact that parking lots are considered public spaces and, therefore, this technology should not be activated.

He said, however, that it's also up to manufacturers to communicate this to their customers.

"There is also the issue of the ethical and moral compass of a company that sells you a feature that is no good to you, where the car is going to be registered and doesn't bother to tell you don't use this," said Iny.

He added that manufacturers could also not activate such features in markets where it would not be allowed.

Tesla did not respond to CTV's request for an interview.

Ghazzoul said that while he is relieved no one got hurt, he's now left to pay for the damages himself so that his insurance premiums don't go up. He says he feels disappointed with Tesla.

"There's no information on where to use it and where not to use it," he said.

He wants to warn other Tesla drivers not to make the same mistake he did, and check first before taking new features out for a test drive.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

quote:

"There is also the issue of the ethical and moral compass of a company that sells you a feature that is no good to you, where the car is going to be registered and doesn't bother to tell you don't use this," said Iny.
:roflolmao: As if Tesla gives a gently caress.

Or any other car company, to be honest.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You want to be a live beta tester like the uber chad tech warrior you are, sometimes that means having to spend $$$ to fix someone else's car bucko

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Cactus Ghost posted:

god bless shitposting local papers

It gets better

https://x.com/hardin/status/1786965307346591768?s=46&t=6HOSYVrXffESMo0NlyR0Lg

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Sagebrush posted:

note that this is also contrary to ol' musky's moronic personal precept that the user doesn't know what they want and their input is always wrong:

I know this is not anything new to the thread, but like... how can people think that this guy is intelligent? If almost all user input is error, then wouldn't we be getting into accidents >50% of the time that we get behind the wheel? Like, you don't need to follow this to its logical conclusion, just take it literally one step to discover that it is obviously untrue.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Remind me again why Nader wrote unsafe at any speed and why someone hasn’t done one for Tesla resulting an equal response by the (any) government?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Stolen from the Infowarrior ride thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Muscle Tracer posted:

I know this is not anything new to the thread, but like... how can people think that this guy is intelligent? If almost all user input is error, then wouldn't we be getting into accidents >50% of the time that we get behind the wheel? Like, you don't need to follow this to its logical conclusion, just take it literally one step to discover that it is obviously untrue.

maybe he personally is just an absolutely terrible driver and almost all of his inputs are in error. even an inherently faulty self-driving system is less dangerous than him operating a vehicle normally. this would explain a ton actually