Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Came in here hoping there'd be a dedicated thread for Arduino's!

I've been kind of passively following Arduino news for a while (have only the most basic knowledge of programming/soldering, but interested in learning a bit), and am interested in finally trying something out. It really appeals to my imaginative/creative side, and it seems like there's a lot of community support and information out there to help me on my way.

One project I think might be kinda neat is being able to control my apartment's lights/climate control through the internet, as both have remotes (:japan:). I see that people have written sketches that will read/record the IR protocols from a remote, I assume once you've got those it's pretty straightforward to output them through an IR transmitter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Came in here hoping there'd be a dedicated thread for Arduino's!

I've been kind of passively following Arduino news for a while (have only the most basic knowledge of programming/soldering, but interested in learning a bit), and am interested in finally trying something out. It really appeals to my imaginative/creative side, and it seems like there's a lot of community support and information out there to help me on my way.

One project I think might be kinda neat is being able to control my apartment's lights/climate control through the internet, as both have remotes (:japan:). I see that people have written sketches that will read/record the IR protocols from a remote, I assume once you've got those it's pretty straightforward to output them through an IR transmitter?

Repostin' this cuz I was hoping for an answer.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Combo posted:

Its been a very arduino Christmas for me apparently:

Two Unos, two different starter kits, a 4 relay module, and Programming Arduino and Projects for Evil Geniuses, both by Simon Monk.

They're my first crack at this sort of thing, I guess its time to start learning :v:

Speaking of this, what starter kits do people recommend? I'm a novice who just wants to try it out and see how I like it/if I have the patience to stick with it.

I came across this thing which looks pretty neat, although maybe a bit limiting. The Sparkfun Inventor's Kit also looked good, as did their Starter Kit. The Fritzing Kit also looks pretty nice.