Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phospete
Jul 4, 2007
The arduino was the answer to my dreams when I first found out about them. I couldn't believe that I hadn't discovered them before then, it was exactly the kind of thing I had been hoping to toy around with.

The biggest project I've used them for was to make a device that would prime the hot water line between my master bathroom (which is on the opposite side of my house as the hot water heater) by pumping water from the hot water side to the cold water side, instead of just wasting water down the drain for two solid minutes every time I wanted to take a shower. Water's pretty expensive where I live, and if I use it long enough, it might even pay for itself.

I made two parts, a transmitter section (basically like a garage door opener) that I could press to activate the pump, and a receiver section that received the signal and controlled the pump. I used a 434 Hz transmitter together with an Arduino Pro for the transmitter, and fit it into a small box with on and off buttons.

For the receiver, I used a 434 Hz receiver with a Uno board. It connects to the pump with a PowerTail adapter. In the code, it starts the pump and runs it for either three minutes or until a thermistor that's in contact with the hot water pipe detects the temperature rise to above about 90 degrees F.

I've been using it pretty much every day for several months now, and it's been quite reliable. Probably hasn't exactly paid for itself, but that wasn't the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phospete
Jul 4, 2007

JesusDoesVegas posted:

Things like that are exactly what arduino is for... Guy has a problem, guy wants to turn that problem into a project, guy fixes issue and feels accomplished every time he uses his fix.

Tell me you've done something about the hanging plugs in that last pic.

Ya, the pump sits below the sink and it's all fed with an extension cord now so no weight on the plugs. As for the pump pressure, the hot and cold water lines are at exactly the same static pressure since they're both linked through the water heater, so the pump only has to overcome the friction loss in the cold water and hot water lines back to the hot water heater, not the entire line pressure. The pump's suction pressure is approximately the static line pressure (50 psi or whatever).

phospete
Jul 4, 2007
So, I think I fried my board. I have a Feather M0 Adalogger (https://www.adafruit.com/product/2796) and was using a piezo buzzer as a knock sensor (like this - https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/KnockSensor). I had a 1 megaohm resistor in parallel with the piezo as suggested, but the reading still routinely maxed out the analog input pin, so it was definitely still over 3.3V. It worked fine for a while, but now the board's processor gets extremely hot while plugged in, even if nothing is connected to the board. It's drawing about 300 mA unconnected. It also no longer seems to be able to connect via usb serial. I think it's toast.

I'm not 100% certain the piezo fried it, but I don't have any other obvious culprits. Anyone have any experience with a better way to connect piezo sensors?