Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

huhu posted:

Just kidding, have my first two questions.

Here is the first thing I'm working on:
http://www.oomlout.com/oom.php/products/ardx/circ-01

What is the purpose of the resistor in the setup? I see that it goes Pin 13 -> LED -> Resistor -> Ground.

Also, there is a wire between 5V on the Arduino board and the + on the bread board. However, there is nothing else connected to the + and with or without this wire the light still works. What is the function of this?

The resistor limits the current through the LED - the Arduino can only push like... 50mA or so, I want to say, so you can just use the pins straight if you need to, but it's a good idea anyway. If you used an LED with no resistor and something that is capable of putting out more current at 5V (like a power supply), then you'd blow out your LED.

I don't understand your second question, it looks like the resistor is connected to the + rail on your breadboard.

Also this kind of stuff is usually a function of the learning electronics megathread, so I don't know if Arduinos all by themselves deserve a thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU