Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
I'm on the fence about buying a complete arduino kit for a project I have, basically I want to do a digital gauge cluster for my bike, the problem is that except the speedo, every sensor is resistance based, so is an arduino able to measure resistance or do I have to apply tension to the sensors and measure voltage changes ?

Also I would need a bunch of relays, are the arduino outputs able to drive relays ?

Another problem is that LCD screens seems to use a lot of out pins is there a way to have an LCD screen and still have about 10 outputs availlable ?

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Hadlock posted:

How is babby made. Never really screwed around with Solar before.

Ok for a solar powered Arduino in an average lighted room, not directly under a lamp what kind of specs do I need for 1) powering the arduino and 2) powering the arduino + tiny servo with very low load?

I am thinking I need something with like 9v as panels drop in voltage when not in direct sunlight, and around what, 500ma? This 9v 350ma item seems to be the best bang for the buck I can find. Could I wire this up with two 5.5 1F capacitors to smooth out power draw from the servo(s)? It's abot $13 shipped.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA40F1UY0345&cm_re=solar_panel-_-022-01CP-00020-_-Product

You'll need a battery, it will not even boot with only a panel

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
While we are talking about automotive applications, would it be reliable to use an arduino with gps as speedo or would it be only useful at high speed ?

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Anyone interested about working together on a motorbike computer project, was thinking about functions like speedo, mileage, fuel level, oil warning, water temp, maybe RPM too but I have no idea how to proceed.
I'm decent at code but I have never did any electronics. I'm pretty sure there's a market for it too, as all my racing 2 strokes buddies are complaining all the time that aftermarket computers are terrible or way too expensive.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

ReelBigLizard posted:

I'm interested in working on something like that. As a motorcyclist myself I am also frustrated by the lovely offerings for aftermarket gauges. There's a some useful modules out there already:

https://www.tindie.com/products/TheRengineer/analog-gauge-stepper-breakout-board/

A cluster with an analogue dial that can change measurements according to preference would be cool, maybe with OLED like that keyboard that can change it's keys. Like I want the main dial to be RPM and the speed to be on the digital display, or the speed to be the dial with the RPM on the digital display, or I have an electric bike and I want the dial to be the battery / efficiency measurement.

It's the kind of thing that you could never put on a bike OEM because of regulations.

That would be cool but I think that would be hell to make it weatherproof, I was thinking of a single screen oled or digital whatever is better