Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Sweet! An Arduino thread!

I've got a Mego 2560 and a Uno for a quad copter that I'm building currently.

I really hope that the processing IDE gets updated (or replaced) in the future. I find it to be rather lacking in high end features. Is there any way to replace it with some other development environment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Haha!

I just bought myself a Hitachi V-302 Dual Trace Oscilloscope for less than 10$ brand new in box.

You're all jealous, don't lie.

Serjeant Buzfuz fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 13, 2012

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

JesusDoesVegas posted:

I know it's not another weird memory issue, since I tried commenting off huge chunks of code and it still works the same.

Might be wrong here, but I thought that all the comments were removed before compilation and upload. I don't think removing the comments will affect anything at all.

How much memory does it say you're using?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

JesusDoesVegas posted:

EDIT AGAIN - I was thinking perhaps the delay() was stopping the interrupt from functioning correctly, but according to the arduino reference on delay() it does not affect interrupts.

http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/Delay

WTF.

Which board are you using? Mega? Uno? Something else?

Maybe you mentioned it but I couldn't find it reading your earlier posts. I know that whatever processor you're using affects your interrupts and PWM. I think that on the UNO one can mess with the other due to the number of available timers or something?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

JesusDoesVegas posted:

I'm using an UNO, but my final product will be on a different board , as I'm currently doubling up one of my analog pins.

I noticed the interrupt is using pwm as well to output a square wave. Is that second pwm going to cause timer issues? If a due would be better perhaps I should bite the bullet and pick one up already.

I'm trying to find the specific reference right now, but if it was me I'd go ahead and upgrade. I haven't used the due yet but I have a Mega 2560 and its amazing how much more power its got (and more stability) than the UNO.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Myself posted:

I'm trying to find the specific reference right now, but if it was me I'd go ahead and upgrade. I haven't used the due yet but I have a Mega 2560 and its amazing how much more power its got (and more stability) than the UNO.

So, doing some research on the IC chips behind the UNO and the Mega:

code:
Mega 2560

Timers: 6
Output Compare channels: 16
Input Capture Channels: 4
PWM Channels: 15
32kHz RTC: Yes
Calibrated RC Oscillator: Yes 

UNO
Timers: 3
Output Compare channels: 6
Input Capture Channels: 1
PWM Channels: 6
32kHz RTC: Yes
Calibrated RC Oscillator: Yes 
So in conclusion, maybe?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Nerobro posted:

Damned straight I'm jealous.

Finally got to test it out actually, works great on the calibration point. Came with two x10 probes and schematics for all the internal boards and components.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

GPS seems like a poor idea as rough weather would inhibit signal locks easily.

Being so safety critical, I would want a UHF/VHF transmitter that is activated by water. Then use a direction finding antenna to pinpoint the transmitter.