Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is anyone familiar with Fritzing?

I'm trying to fab up a PCB with an ADXL325 accelerometer, only I have the accelerometer as a base chip, not a pre-supplied breakout board.

I'm trying to maybe just do a generic part, but the ADXL325 is a LFCSP-16 chip which I can't find a "generic" PCB component for.

I'm aware that I might have to create one myself, but I'm hoping someone knows where I can find one before I have to learn to create custom ICs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Are there any viable alternatives for Fritzing that won't cost an arm or a les and will run ether under OSX or Linux? Honestly after playing with Fritzing I'm hitting a bunch of walls. It's no big deal or anything.. I bought e accelerometer chips for next to nothing so if I have to break down and buy the breakout bard version I will probably live to fight another day.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Awesome, thank you :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

"Street cred" is retarded though. The end result is whether you do something awesome with your netduino or not :)

I actually went ahead and skipped the whole Arduino thing and moved up to C programming for ARM Cortex processors. Not because it was more badass or anything, but mainly because it interested me more than learning the Arduino language. If I had anything useful to do I would probably use an Arduino since it'll be far easier and less time consuming to do as opposed to learning how to manipulate registers, etc. :haw:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Has anyone used an Arduino UNO as an ISP programmer for other AVR chips (such as on a breadboard)?

All the guides I can find seem to specifically mention programming Arduino code onto standalone AVR chips, but I'm interested in writing my own code in C and using the Arduino ISP to upload them to a standalone AVR.

Can I assume that the program that generates the hex doesn't actually matter and everything will work fine if I upload an AVR-GCC hex file instead of an Arduino Hex file?

Sorry if this is really obvious, but I figure this is the case and I just wanted to run it by you guys.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Partly, yeah, thanks. But that page still mentions uploading Arduino sketches to the ATtiny. I'm interested in writing my own .c file and compiling it into a hex with avr-gcc or something, then using avrdude to upload it to a second Atmega AVR via the Arduino in ISP mode.

I guess my biggest question is whether there is any difference between an Arduino sketch compiled into .hex and uploaded or a .c file compiled to .hex and uploaded. My speculation is that there probably isn't, and the CPU will execute just fine, I just wanted to be sure before I ordered a few chips.

If I can get away programming an AVR with the Arduino then I'll just buy some chips. If I can't then I need to spend $40 or $50 on a USB-AVR programmer like the Dragon or something in addition to a few chips. The Dragon will give me debugging and useful things too, but I'm not terribly worried about that just now :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh yeah totally, I'm just trying to get into and out of AVR development as quickly and cheaply as possible. For the price of an AVR programmer I just bought a few extra ARM Cortex M3 chips to play with, so really I just wanted something to toy around with until my stuff got here :q: