Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R
KiCad is also good, and gaining popularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003

ANIME AKBAR posted:

It's nice to see an ARM-duino variant which actually has the Arduino brand to back it up now. Hopefully they give decent support for the DMA and USB, unlike the maple.

More than anything, I'm excited to see that the Arduino platform now has real support for multiple hardware platforms.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

Just got linked to this today.

Hey, wouldn't it be cool to send and receive small data packets wirelessly from your gadget?

....THROUGH SPACE?

http://rockblock.rock7mobile.com/

Rockblock uses Iridium sats to send and receive data. Obviously per-byte it's very expensive, but the pricing really is reasonable for what you're getting. Think of the possibilities for roaming/autonomous vehicles.

I've worked with these same Iridium modems on a project attempting to cross the Atlantic with a weather balloon, and what rockblock is doing is seriously awesome. I can't wait to see what people start doing with more easily-available hardware and service.

As hobbyists, it was really, incredibly difficult to get any service provider to play ball with us, from acquiring a modem to activating service. Getting technical manuals on the modem was a chore, too. Since then, it looks like the ecosystem has really opened up. These things aren't particularly easy to interact with, but they are very, very impressive.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Yeah, I had trouble reversing the image for the Nanino in a way that preserved sizing, so I just redrew the thing in a CAD tool, adding the auto-reset cap. http://www.meatandnetworking.com/projects/nanino-upgrade/

Tossing it into a real CAD tool has the added benefit of being able to modify it a lot more easily!

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003

DisgruntledPostMan posted:

http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Catalog.cfm?NavPath=2,892&Cat=18

I recommend getting an uno32 if you're thinking of getting an arduino. They come with the arduino bootloader preloaded and are pin compatible with all arduino shields but allow you the opportunity to code it in straight C with a pickit if you feel like you've outgrown the hand-holdy bootloader.

I'm not going to knock the uno32, since it's a way more powerful chip than the AtMega used on the Arduino, but there is absolutely no reason whatsoever that you can't program an Arduino is straight C.

Acid Reflux posted:

That's fantastic, Zuph, thanks! I'm going to be making a few more of these for myself and a couple of friends, and your layout is exactly what I would have done if I had any idea how to use PCB/CAD software. :)

I'm glad it helps out!

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Does it have to be wireless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003

Hadlock posted:

But everything I've read says the arduino will pull 25-45ma, surely a 350ma panel can push 50ma? Or am I really dreaming?

Servos pull at least 40ma each but I think, only when they're moving; it seems like a capacitor could help smooth that out based on a low servo usage scenario.

The panel will only put out 350ma in full, bright sunlight. Even if your house is very well lit, you're not putting out nearly as much power as the sun.