Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
New board!

http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardDue

Lookit all that friggin' I/O.

Cortex M3 at 84 MHz, native USB, 54 GPIO pins, 12 analog ins and 2 12-bit DAC outs!

Music makers, this is your fuckin' jam.
Looks like it's going to go for $50ish.

Arduino 1.5 will support compiling to it, and has some other nice usability bumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Base Emitter posted:

Just what I want, and just what I want it for.

I haven't used Arduino or Processing before, can you program this board in C++ easily enough? I've done some stuff with mbed boards, which are really straightforward to program (they just look like flash drives to your PC), and I'd prefer to use a familiar language than learn another niche language...

As best as I can tell, it's straight C, with some libraries. When you compile, the Arduino IDE slaps some boilerplate up top and adds a main() at the end before it compiles and sends it over.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Repostin' this cuz I was hoping for an answer.

There's a lib for that!

Check out the following link, it should get you started.

http://arduinostuff.blogspot.com/2011/05/receiving-and-sending-ir-with-arduino.html

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Our vaporizer project is moving along nicely.

My filthy trick for expanding the gnd and +5 rails for various pots and LEDs and doodads: An IDE connector off an old cable. Hard to photograph this one, sorry.

The last two pins on the far end are not connected to the bus, so that they can pass through pins 8 and 9, which we are using just for structural integrity.

Built connectors out of 2 row headers, pins on one side, wires strain-relieved through the other side. Also laced the harnesses

Yay! It works! And now poo poo doesn't short out when I wiggle it!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

ArchNemesis posted:

Likwise, be careful before attaching any old shield to it. The pinout is backwards-compatible, but if you have a shield feeding 5V into one of the inputs, you're gonna fry your chip. It's strictly 3.3V. That said, there are some very interesting and promising libraries already out for the Due, most exciting of which (for me) is the Scheduler.
I need to figure out a good level converter solution. I'm tired of trying to hack it with resistor dividers and everything's going 3.3.

---

Just got linked to this today.

Hey, wouldn't it be cool to send and receive small data packets wirelessly from your gadget?

....THROUGH SPACE?

http://rockblock.rock7mobile.com/

Rockblock uses Iridium sats to send and receive data. Obviously per-byte it's very expensive, but the pricing really is reasonable for what you're getting. Think of the possibilities for roaming/autonomous vehicles.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Acid Reflux posted:

Finally just headed over to Radio Shack and bought an Uno yesterday. Already in love with the whole concept, and I don't even remotely understand the programming language yet. What I *do* understand is that I was controlling the position of an RC servo via a small pot in a little under 20 minutes...it's the little things that make me happy. :)

Congratulations on writing some C! :)

Seriously, Arduino's language is C with a little bit of sugar in the IDE to insert the right headers and such, and some predefined functions to set things up for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
You could do something like this for your Vcc and Ground lines.

e: (idk if imgur is broken or what, http://i.imgur.com/3ITx52u.png is the pic)

That's an IDE connector with the back snapped off and the cable pulled out. One bare copper wire is soldered almost all the way down the length of each side (I left the far pin on each row unconnected), and two male pins are soldered sticking down, to go into +5 and Gnd.

The last pair of pins is isolated and has a pin soldered to each, so that it will plug into pins 8 and 9 (for structural strength) but will pass them through to the top of the header so that they're not wasted.

I got +5 pins for dayyyyyys.