Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruinator
Jul 6, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Has anyone used an Arduino UNO as an ISP programmer for other AVR chips (such as on a breadboard)?

All the guides I can find seem to specifically mention programming Arduino code onto standalone AVR chips, but I'm interested in writing my own code in C and using the Arduino ISP to upload them to a standalone AVR.

Can I assume that the program that generates the hex doesn't actually matter and everything will work fine if I upload an AVR-GCC hex file instead of an Arduino Hex file?

Sorry if this is really obvious, but I figure this is the case and I just wanted to run it by you guys.

I use a USBasp I bought off ebay for less than $4 delivered thats fully compatible with the ISP interface. You can add a couple of lines to the programmer text file and use it through the Arduino IDE. I have had no problems burning bootloaders to ATmega644p and 1284p chips. It should also work through Atmel Studio if you want to ditch the Arduino IDE but I haven't tried it out yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU