Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rad-daddio posted:

I was gonna ask what the best coding language is for embedded systems. It's come down to C and C++, but it seems like everyone who uses C thinks it's the best due to it's ability to be used on more microcontrollers and it's lower use of resources. But everyone else says C++ is the way to go since C is old and obsoleted.

Currently, I'm prototyping stuff with Arduino using codes that I find online and modify. But, that can only take me so far so I was figuring to just learn the most applicable language for hardware level stuff and go from there.

The C language book is less than 300 pages. You can start there and then plow ahead into C++. The C++ book is 1376 pages

e: Since the languages are so closely related it's sort of a false dichotomy to say you should only learn one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Splode posted:

Short answer, is there is currently a holy war over this question.

Yeah I was worried about getting flamed with my previous post but C foreverrrrr

mewse
May 2, 2006

Splode posted:

it's not too bad, just put off learning pointers for as long as you can and I'd go so far as to say it's pretty easy. it's a lot more readable than gcode

Pointers really aren't that bad after everyone warns you they're hard to understand

mewse
May 2, 2006

mewse
May 2, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

What kind of mic/amp setup would y'all recommend to pick up normal conversation or TV level sound in a room? I tried a MEMS as well as electret mic like this one below, supposedly MAX4466 based, but neither can pick up poo poo. I've been testing with a frequency generator on the phone and have to crank up the gain to the max as well as the volume to the point it's unpleasant for it to pick anything up from like 10cm. I'm not trying to make an Alexa, just need to do FFT on the signal.

In the end I'll need to make my own PCB but for development and testing a module would be ok.

Did you already rule out mic arrays like this:

https://www.seeedstudio.com/ReSpeaker-Mic-Array-v2-0.html

mewse
May 2, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Do you mean a compete module like this or DIYing something? Either way it seems like it'd be overkill for what I need. But maybe I'm overestimating what's possible with a single electret mic...

I'm not an expert and I haven't done anything in this space, I'm just confused that you're not doing anything like Alexa but you want to receive voices from across the room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

power crystals posted:

Is there a recommended board/micro for something that can do USB host, including enumerating devices through hubs (which it seems like basically everything has a disclaimer including lack of support for)? Ideally something cheaper than a full on Teensy 4 or similar. The RP2040 claims to have host support, but the only things I can see describing it is adafruit managing to fake it by bitbanging its IO pins (which would work, I guess, but I'm hoping there's something more native) which seems to contradict the statement that it has host support native. This would just be for HID or other very slow devices so USB 1.1 max speed is fine. A single USB controller that does both/OTG is also fine, I don't need it to be a client. 5V native IO preferred for the rest of the circuit but I can use shifters if that makes the USB side easier.

Not specifically looking for an arudino-compatible though that'd probably be the easiest option, but this is the closest thread to "general embedded development" I know of so forgive me if I picked the wrong one.

I came across this project recently that interfaces modern usb controllers with old sega saturn consoles by using an arduino + usb host shield. I don't know how robust, available, or affordable the usb host shield is, but it looks like it has a decent software library.

https://docs.arduino.cc/retired/shields/arduino-usb-host-shield