Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

dhw posted:

Here is the game ape and I have been working on. Going to be released in the next coming week/s.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78555330/ShareX/2016/03/0010145835336347040_20.mp4

Thanks #sagamedev for all the input over the last few months.

Could you post this on youtube or something? I'm getting not found/bandwidth errors and can't watch whatever this is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Thanks, your game looks rad!

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

InevitableCheese posted:

Anyone know a good hands on package or something for picking up blender? I'm just going to be working with simple shapes and models, nothing too complex, and porting to Unity.

Only thing I've really found is CGCookie.

I had some success following http://www.gamefromscratch.com/page/Complete-Blender-Game-Art-Tutorial-From-zero-experience-to-2D-or-3D-game-ready-asset.aspx

You may have to troubleshoot some broken links but I did manage to find all the pages at some point.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Dewgy posted:

So I've hit another fun bug but this time I have no idea how to fix it. Tried the Löve forums, but no luck just yet, maybe someone here will have a better idea.

Link to the L2D forums post for more info: https://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=83996

Short version is Z sorting of my sets of triangles seems to be working just fine, EXCEPT when I actually have a matching depth conflict. If two (or more) triangles are at the same depth, they get jumbled up when going out to the render mesh, and I have no idea why apart from the fact that I know that's a special handling case. (The two triangles get lumped together in a table and then pushed back in an arbitrary order, which shouldn't matter for how Love handles mesh rendering in "triangles" mode. Plus that's pretty much how I handled all the other triangles in the set.)

Offsetting my rotation by .001 degrees kind of works, but it's a flaky enough solution that I don't trust it, and I know it'll just cause the issue to crop back up once my maps get more complicated.

Screenshots and a gif:

Borked:

Working:

Greyscale version:

(Notice that somehow there's values being set for G and B, but not R for affected triangles???)

Gif: https://gfycat.com/QualifiedShrillBunny

I don't have any particular Love2d/Lua experience, but I've done low-level OpenGL stuff and my guess is the triangles aren't rendering because they're being put into the list in the opposite order, effectively reversing their winding order.
See https://www.khronos.org/opengl/wiki/Face_Culling for why this might be a problem.

e: woops, I missed that you were doing tris and not vertices. Silly me. Still, check your assumption that the order doesn't matter - just because one arbitrary order always works doesn't mean another arbitrary order won't always not work.

Lowen fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 1, 2017

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Dewgy posted:

Yeah, I think that's part of my problem. What's weirding me out though is this only happens when I have multiple triangles for the same Z result, so I feel like the problem's in my sorting code and not in the fact that I'm jumbling triangles all over the place, since outside this one exception it seems to not give half a crap about the render order. I'm not sure what exactly I'm doing differently there in my code that would cause it to get all screwy though.

e: Oh yeah, should also point out that I don't think there's any clockwise culling going on. I did have that implemented at one point but I'm holding off until I start running into performance issues, which may never happen if I keep my triangle count down to a couple of thousand at most.

more e: gently caress yeah, fixed it! Love forums post has the fix, but basically the problem was I was returning the contents of the result tables more than once when there were multiple triangles with the same Z. Now it makes sure to only have one table per result, and only call for that table one time when putting out triangles.

I feel super psyched that I managed to fix this. :dance:

Look at dem properly sorted jaggy bastards. :3:

Nice! I was also working on this because it took my interest (I've never done Lua or LOVE). I made a simpler fix totally by accident somehow by simplifying the logic in the version you posted:
code:
 		if pairsTable[averageZ] == nil then
			pairsTable[averageZ] = {}
			table.insert(zValueTable,averageZ)
		end
		table.insert(pairsTable[averageZ],tri)
I'm not sure why, but this also fixes the issue.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Dewgy posted:

Oh wow, yeah yours is way better! When I was writing this originally I did have something similar with an "if table[result] == nil" check, but it was causing my vert count to increase by almost 7x somehow (went from 300 verts in to over 2000 out), which caused a crash when it fed into the mesh, which stopped when I did the "if not table[result] == nil" rewrite.

What exactly did I do back then that you aren't doing here? I dunno! But it works, thanks! :D

Mind if I repost your fix (with credit) to the Love forums?

Not at all, go right ahead.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

OddObserver posted:

Wouldn't realistic darkness involve simulating the output of human low-light vision in a way that when displayed on a monitor and perceived by light vision look reasonable?

I think the original Operation Flashpoint (the game the evolved into ARMA) game did this - night was almost black and white.

Dark night is rarely pitch black. There's starlight/moonlight etc, even when cloudy some of it gets through.

Inside/underground is a different story though.

cmdrk posted:

Has anyone ever found any gamedev articles on lighting dark scenes properly? I'd love to build some "true" night time scenes where players need a torch or whatever to see, but it seems that may be a fool's errand given how many results I get for "Foo is too dark! how do I fix my monitor to see?"

What think ye?

Articles, no. But there are plenty of games that encourage playing with very dark screens and gamers usually abide by them rather than cheating and turning gamma up. You can use almost any game where you're asked to adjust gamma so that the symbol on the left isn't visible, but the symbol on the right is, as a guide for low light gameplay.

Absolute pitch blackness is a problem with no commonly known fixes (TMK), but I think it's possible. You'll need to put in extra gameplay mechanics in order to relay information to the player - some ideas off the top of my head is outlining nearby stuff to simulate sensing nearby things and very low light vision, making the player walk slowly and carefully so that they don't accidentally wander off a cliff they could have sensed with their feet IRL, things like that.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

I was gonna call it "Chogue" as in Chess + Rogue (mostly because it sounds funny), but I did a quicker twitter search the other day and it turns out someone already beat me to it by four years. might have to check it out after the jam is over

updated the sprites a lil bit (will have to change the colour scheme so it doesnt blend in with the blood spatter) and there's a gameover state now

https://twitter.com/bonerman_inc/status/1369813853823852544

Reminds me of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl9dvoUY5pc - in a good way

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

asmasm posted:

Question for everyone here: How do people find out about games these days? I haven't been a game consumer in a long time and trying to understand how to get our game in front of more people is challenging. Are game news websites like RPS and destructoid still popular places to read about games? The comment engagement seems low. Is it all twitch and youtube? A substantial number of our sales seem to come from steam store presence but that is one thing we can't directly control. Anyone have thoughts on efficient marketing for indies with basically zero marketing budgets?

Game consumer here. I'm a bit hardcore and probably not a great representative sample, but here's how I find out about games:

Youtube creators that play the kinds of games that I like, doing a quick video or LP (sometimes even sponsored videos).
Steam storefront pages like New and Trending, Popular Upcoming, etc.
Tweets or Retweets from Indie devs that I follow.
Something Awful threads.
Recommendations from Steam.

e: Dunno how close to zero basically zero is, but you might check to see how much a YouTuber that vibes with your game would charge for a sponsored video?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

xgalaxy posted:

Are there any good examples of 2D games with naval combat in the golden age of piracy?
Any thing that cleverly avoids the "let’s circle each other endlessly" problem?

Starsector is a really good space based game that has clear analogue to this kind of combat but it also has the "let’s circle each other endlessly" problem. It somewhat gets away with it because of flashy visuals that a game set in the 1700s wouldn’t be able to lean on IMO.

The only thing I can think of would be to do something FTL-like and just eliminate movement entirely from the equation.

You might want to list more examples and what you thought of them.
There are a lot of games that have broadside ship combat that are generally considered fun.

Assassin's Creed 4, Rebel Galaxy (not Rebel Galaxy Outlaws), Sid Meier's Pirates.
To name a few I've played. Maybe also Sea of Thieves, but I haven't played that.

If you want to replicate the fun of FTL combat in any capacity then good luck - you're going to have to do a lot of tricky game balance and design stuff besides just "make pirate game but you can't steer the ship".