Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Can someone please explain why positional asphyxiation is such a big deal for sleeping in something like a Baby Bjorn bouncer and not a car seat?

I know all the studies, I know all the recommendations, so please don’t spam me with links, etc. I’m just trying to make sense of why sleeping in a car seat for an hour and a half (provided it’s installed and restrained correctly) is okay, but a bouncer that makes the same angle to horizontal is not. If I have my eyes on my kid with a monitor and she’s not rolling over onto her face, what exactly is different? Is it the shoulder straps?

I swear some of these studies are providing excessively broad recommendations for parents that severely hosed up (like their kid could roll, and they let the kid sleep in the thing overnight, etc.).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It's generally not advised to let an infant sleep in their car seat. You let them sleep in the car seat when they are in the car because what the gently caress else are you going to do? At home where you use the bouncer you have options that are safe for sleep that you should use.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I let mine sleep in the car seat if we came home and he was still sleeping. Mind you I’d just sit on the couch watching him but it was a moment of zen for a while. You just end up doing whatever.

Edit: We also use one of those Doona seats so the car seat is just the stroller also so I could just rock him a bit while chilling.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

worse, probably in America

Bomb threats were much more of a high school thing as a kid. I'm surprised OP gets them at a kindergarten level - is this some kind of K-8 / K-12 joint? I also thought they were a bit passe now and that the cool kids are threatening to shoot up the joint.

Crazy people, what can you say? They threatened the whole school district.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Yeah our district was very rural when it was founded so all the schools for all the ages are in the same place. It's fuckin weird.

About a month ago someone called in a bomb threat, so he went and called them in for random schools on the campus. 4 threats in 3 days. Complete waste of everyone's time and energy

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's generally not advised to let an infant sleep in their car seat. You let them sleep in the car seat when they are in the car because what the gently caress else are you going to do?

Wake them up constantly so that they’re miserable and crying but definitely breathing

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

illcendiary posted:

Wake them up constantly so that they’re miserable and crying but definitely breathing

Don't worry, just give it 40 years and we'll so who's tired of wiping someone else's rear end all day

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

illcendiary posted:

Can someone please explain why positional asphyxiation is such a big deal for sleeping in something like a Baby Bjorn bouncer and not a car seat?

I know all the studies, I know all the recommendations, so please don’t spam me with links, etc. I’m just trying to make sense of why sleeping in a car seat for an hour and a half (provided it’s installed and restrained correctly) is okay, but a bouncer that makes the same angle to horizontal is not. If I have my eyes on my kid with a monitor and she’s not rolling over onto her face, what exactly is different? Is it the shoulder straps?

I swear some of these studies are providing excessively broad recommendations for parents that severely hosed up (like their kid could roll, and they let the kid sleep in the thing overnight, etc.).

I've never heard this

I think in general car seats have better head rolling protection. The premium car seats seem to have an extra set of pillows to minimize neck rolling, and can be removed as the baby grows, and the straps are designed and certified by an engineer

The straps in our mamaroo seemed like an absolute strangulation hazard it didn't get much use

Neck strength/neck control also varies a lot by child. My nephew had basically none and my wife's sister gifted us an entire collection of neck support pillows. By comparison our daughter had full neck control by the end of week 1 and was always twisting her head around to see what was going on

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts
The way it was explained to me is that it isn't about strangulation, it's about positional suffocation. Our daughter was a little under a month early and it's especially a concern with preemies, so we got a pretty in-depth briefing on it. The hospital put her through a little stress test where they had her on all the various monitors and the had her sit in her car seat for an hour to make sure she was good in that position for at least that long. The nurse working with us said that it's standard for preemies but they're rolling it out to the full term kids too, because some kids just stop breathing if they're in that position for too long. I'm forgetting the details now, but it has to do with them being a little compressed in there and not having the muscle mass to really push back against the position if they're having difficulty breathing.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
One of the positions we were warned about is slumping forward, chin on chest. That can be enough to collapse the throat and prevent the child from breathing.

And like all baby things, the advice tends to be on the side of 0-risk-is-the-only-acceptable-amount, so I'm seeing advice that is warning about that possibility through age 2 and some that says only until they can sit up.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Also, when the car seat is in the car it is installed at the best angle to prevent positional asphyxiation. When the car seat is sitting somewhere else, that angle might not be present and it would be the same type of situation for a swings and bouncers and what not.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Renegret posted:

It's amazing how hard having one kid is. Then how hard having two kids is. Then how easy going back to one kid is.

Casually confessing to murder on SomethingAwful is pretty standard now that I think of it. :v:

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Best to keep kids awake 24/7 imo, they could die randomly at any time. They know that too which is why children fight sleep so hard, their parents are trying to kill them!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Giant Metal Robot posted:

One of the positions we were warned about is slumping forward, chin on chest. That can be enough to collapse the throat and prevent the child from breathing.
The straps on the Bjorn are pretty low, it's easy for a kiddo to slump over in it. With a bucket seat buckle high over the chest and appropriately tight it's much less likely to slump.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
I’ve always heard that even car seats are only safe for sleep in the car or attached to the stroller; otherwise the angle might lead to asphyxiation. I let my kids sleep in theirs inside sometimes but I kept a close eye on them.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Giant Metal Robot posted:

One of the positions we were warned about is slumping forward, chin on chest. ... and some that says only until they can sit up.

Yeah I am leaning towards this

I can see it being an issue for newborns up to 3 months. It seems like the risk starts dropping to zero as they approach 6 months but I'm not a doctor

We had/have the uppa baby mesa, designed for 0-6 mo

1) the baby is so far reclined they're basically laying on their back, the seat also has a level, and the base can be adjusted so it sits in the car at the correct angle. I guess that's why I was so surprised to hear about this car seat thing
2) it has enormous head support pillows on both sides that prevent the head to roll to one side, which probably prevents a head roll evolving into a slump
3) with the chest strap on, and near the collar bone it's virtually impossible to sit forward/upright, let alone slump forward
4) I'm kinda :spergin: about strapping my kid in comfortably tight into the seat, if you're lazy about strap tightness and letting the chest strap slide down you're defeating most of the design of the car seat

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

nachos posted:

Best to keep kids awake 24/7 imo, they could die randomly at any time. They know that too which is why children fight sleep so hard, their parents are trying to kill them!

You joke but I think this is actually one of the theories for why it’s recommended babies sleep in the same room as parents during early babyhood.

They get woken up more often from noises/parents and are less likely to get sids because of that.

That being said our boy was sleeping overnight in his own room before the recommended age so I’m not one to talk.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Eeyo posted:

You joke but I think this is actually one of the theories for why it’s recommended babies sleep in the same room as parents during early babyhood.

They get woken up more often from noises/parents and are less likely to get sids because of that.

That being said our boy was sleeping overnight in his own room before the recommended age so I’m not one to talk.

It’s the theory behind “back to sleep” isn’t it? Stomach they sleep too deeply? Not sure if it works that way, but “back to sleep” did work as far as I know

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
Tomorrow is Potty Training Day, Take 1. May God have mercy on our souls

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Academician Nomad posted:

Tomorrow is Potty Training Day, Take 1. May God have mercy on our souls

Good luck, we're 6 months in and poop is still a challenge :negative:

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Eeyo posted:

Yeah I understand the reasoning behind it but then I just think about how loving dumb and useless human babies are from an evolutionary perspective. Not only are babies completely dependent on their parents forever but if they are too good at the thing that helps them grow properly they literally die. We probably should have gone extinct ages ago

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Taking a toddler to Hawaii next month. Please send me tips, tricks, and recommendations. My kid is extremely busy and active.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

WrenP-Complete posted:

Taking a toddler to Hawaii next month. Please send me tips, tricks, and recommendations. My kid is extremely busy and active.

go to the beach

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

also it is now day 4 of HFM. Everything in the house is loving disgusting. The kid's mouth is just a mess of blisters. ffs this poo poo is awful and I want it over with now please

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Sweeper posted:

It’s the theory behind “back to sleep” isn’t it? Stomach they sleep too deeply? Not sure if it works that way, but “back to sleep” did work as far as I know

Sure was fun when both my kids decided their favorite sleeping position was flipped over nose down into the mattress pad. Didn’t matter how well we swaddled and how asleep they were when we laid them down - they were nose to mattress before we took the 3 steps back to our bed.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

El Mero Mero posted:

also it is now day 4 of HFM. Everything in the house is loving disgusting. The kid's mouth is just a mess of blisters. ffs this poo poo is awful and I want it over with now please

There's a lot of movie plot points/plot twists that, at this point in parenting, I realized were probably pen put to paper trying to describe this level of hell

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Can cutting toenails be optional? Like what is the worst that can happen if we just never cut our 4yo’s. He hates it so much and is screaming before I ever touch him.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

boquiabierta posted:

Can cutting toenails be optional? Like what is the worst that can happen if we just never cut our 4yo’s. He hates it so much and is screaming before I ever touch him.

Stone Age men never cut their tonails, I’m sure. So as long as you can replicate a stone age lifestyle, you’ll be fine. Have him walk everywhere, barefoot. Live outdoors, etc.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Democratic Pirate posted:

Sure was fun when both my kids decided their favorite sleeping position was flipped over nose down into the mattress pad. Didn’t matter how well we swaddled and how asleep they were when we laid them down - they were nose to mattress before we took the 3 steps back to our bed.

Yeah our boy did the same. Put him on his back and he just immediately turns. Can’t remember when he learned to flip over, but it was definitely still in the recommended back sleep age.

He just hates being on his back. Like when we’d try to change him he would try to flip over.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

El Mero Mero posted:

go to the beach

Lol I meant for the plane and airport. We were in the Lahaina fires with our infant and part of our vacation got rebooked due to the fires, so now we are traveling with a toddler which I'm not sure I would have planned originally.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Like, general flying tips?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The biggest tip I got from this thread

Go to the dollar store and buy them out of every cheap garbage toy they have. Whenever kiddo starts being a butt, oh look new toy!!! We pull out screens, candy, everything to keep them happy that we normally limit.

One time we brought tape that looked like a road and we used it to make race tracks on the tray tables, to match the new matchbox cars.

Full disclosure I've never flown more than 3 hours with a kid and I hard vetoed Hawaii when my wife wanted to go because gently caress that 12 hour flight with children.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

WrenP-Complete posted:

We’ve been going to Hawaii to visit my husband’s family since my daughter was 18 months. She’s 4 now. We just got back today from a trip there.

Bring tons of snacks. We bring 2 gallon bags of snacks for one-way. Snacks are honestly one of the best ways to keep them busy.

I also suggest lots of brand new toys and books. I’m a big fan of Melissa & Doug Water Wow books. They come with paint brushes and you fill the brushes with water and they can paint the pages.

Melissa & Doug also make Thea reusable puffy sticker packs/activity books that are great for the plane.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

boquiabierta posted:

In my experience the kid will be fine but you'll start getting slashed and stabbed by the long toenails when you try to hug, etc. Also the dirt really builds up under there.

One thing that worked for our kid at that age with a similar aversion was to make a game out of it like she was a cat getting her claws trimmed at the vet. We'd wrap her in an immobilizing towel ("like they do for kitties") and she'd meow and hiss while we got her nails.

Another thing that sometimes helped was to do them underwater in the bathroom sink or maybe the tub. Basically anything to shift the context and give her new sensations to focus on.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My son had a huge chunk of big toe nail hanging off and wouldn't let me cut it. At some point I just went to cut it off and it turned out to be a chunk of dried sparkly nail enamel? I guess his sister did him up with a pedicure without my knowledge.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Bring tons of snacks and special screen time stuff. My kids loved this dumb Montessori iPad app, and whatever videos they were into (like Daniel Tiger). Sit ‘em in front of a screen and let them just vegetate. Bring a coloring book in case they decide to need to move their hands, but hopefully they’ll just become a screen zombie. I got through a 9 hour international flight with a 2 year old that way.

Also bring their car seat and strap them in, especially if they’re used to being in it and don’t hate it. Literally every toddler can wriggle out of an airplane seatbelt in zero seconds flat. And escape. And while the people on the plane may think your escaping cackling toddler is funny, you might have other ideas.

(My son did a victory lap and smirked/waved at people after I caught him. They waved back and gave him positive attention, so then for a hot minute escaping became A Thing for him)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
My understanding from our pediatrician on “back to sleep” is that as soon as they roll on their own you need to stop swaddling them and transition to sleep sack with free arms and then they can do whatever. You still put them on their back but if they roll to face it’s fine, they have their arms free and can make sure they don’t suffocate.

KG3 started rolling at 10 weeks (so still within the “should be swaddled” timeline) and that was what our pediatrician told us. Once they roll, no more swaddling. The downside is he now flails around like a maniac and wakes himself up sometimes but whatever.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
And remember you can download movies on a lot of iPad apps, like Disney. Also the Khan Academy app is pretty fun.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I asked the wife if I could sleep in because I always wake up early for work and then always wake up early with the toddler, she agreed.

I wake up at 8:00AM and just do nothing but dick around on my phone for an hour. It was glorious.

I leave the room at 9:00 and the dog immediately throws up at my feet. I clean it up. The alarm panel reports low battery and starts harassing me literally one day after the alarm guy came and extorted me for money to replace the battery. I make a coffee and the toddler destroys it with a plastic lightsaber.

I clean up the glass and enormous spill and make a second coffee. More powerful than you can possibly imagine.

Will never sleep in again, that was a huge mistake, lesson learned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Hadlock posted:

There's a lot of movie plot points/plot twists that, at this point in parenting, I realized were probably pen put to paper trying to describe this level of hell

I’ve been having nightmares about blisters in my mouth all this week and it really does feel like I’ve been trapped in a cronenberg body-horror film