Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Eejit posted:

My dream is to live in a house with 1000 linnies so I say go for it

Absolutely correct

(replace chirping with little doots and beeps)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Does anyone here know Your Basic Bird in Berkeley, CA? Most of their birds seem to be doing well but their macaws have some serious plucked areas and the cockatoo needs a nail trimming very badly. I am also not knowledgeable enough to know if the nest bins of baby cockatiels behind the register are befitting the situation or not. The reviews for the place are very polarized.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Chick has taken to hanging upside down like a bat come evening bed preparation time, and it's quite funny to see. Her and Wasabi will just sorta fence each other before both settlings down for bed.

She's incredibly hormonal right now, words cannot describe. If there were a horny doomsday clock, it would have struck midnight about a week ago. She can't resist the urge to attack. I get about ten minutes of calm, peaceful and cute Chick when I come home, but then she'll be dialed up to 11 through no fault of my own other than the fact I exist. We then spend the rest of the day playing "defend yourself from Chick as she dive bombs you from the ceiling and attempts to land on your neck to bite you". It's ridiculous. I can't have her on my shoulder as she'll just warble to a pitched crescendo before inevitably chomping down hard on my neck, or ear, and she's doing that horrible thing where she'll latch and not let go. She's behaving monstrously but I just love her. We get another window of calm when they're about to sleep, usually after Chick has eaten and is just happily sitting on her branch and beak grinding. I can get in and bump noses with her and she'll accept it.

https://streamable.com/poeq3q
She's been squawking like this incessantly, hear her roar and tremble

https://streamable.com/kg4vz9
You can hear her say "naughty one" in this clip at about 8 seconds

https://streamable.com/rgjm0j
https://streamable.com/2fdicr
In the last one, I recorded as I knew what she was going to do. Don't be lulled into a false sense of security by her singing. I love how offended she looks at being interrupted mid-attack. These really hurt but I'm used to it, and I'll usually just shake my hand and she'll dart off squawking and angrily glare at me from the curtains. I know somewhere in her current state of being lizard-brained, there's some love somewhere.

I'm not too fussed about trying to correct her behaviour as I'm going to be away for a week soon, and I know in that time she'll calm down.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i’m so glad to see how well they’re doing!!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Aww I love Chick's singing. I'm definitely lulled and my defenses are lowered.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

10/10 would allow myself to be mauled by the Dire Budgerigar again

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Good God Qubee, a little girl budgie who mimics. That's so cool. Too cute ahhh.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
She's so pretty too. Like a piece of the sky was allowed to come down to earth.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
*pew pew pew kisses ATTAC*

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Awww! :unsmith:

How fares her clutch of eggs?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Puffed up proud momma

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

Puffed up proud momma

that’s the poppa!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Awww! :unsmith:

How fares her clutch of eggs?

eggs look great! all pinked up and full of veins and babies. for anyone else who needs to candle an egg, modern led flashlights are bright enough you don’t even need to remove them from the nest

this morning, during a very brief window grace came out to poop and get some water (she only leaves the clutch 2-3 times a day and never for more than five minutes)

you can see the big changes over time:

the two on the right are newer and less developed (last week sometime) and you can see it reflected in the colour

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

mediaphage posted:

that’s the poppa!

I fail at líme :negative:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

I fail at líme :negative:

it’s ok he doesn’t mind :-]

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

He does look proud of his newfound bulk. He's so excited to puke inside Grace's mouth.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

He does look proud of his newfound bulk. He's so excited to puke inside Grace's mouth.

right? so regally chubby

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

mediaphage posted:

right? so regally chubby

I initially read that as “illegally chubby” and now believe it is a thing.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
It made me think of silly cartoon pecs on a beach hunk or such, myself. :swoon:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

It made me think of silly cartoon pecs on a beach hunk or such, myself. :swoon:

yes! and his lil feathers at the bottom are reminiscent of abs lol

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Hahaha that guy looks jacked! Fighting fit to be a birdaddy!

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

The Grip

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

what a beauty

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tha Old Me

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Captain Log posted:

I initially read that as “illegally chubby” and now believe it is a thing.

If anyone is illegally chubby, its Serra. They're so round. I love them.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Inglonias posted:

If anyone is illegally chubby, its Serra. They're so round. I love them.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

While browsing PI, you may or may not get a visit from the Illegally Chubby Fairy.

She may or may not be heavy enough to make my laptop screen fall backwards.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

💕

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

And avatar size...

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And avatar size...

irlolling

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

mediaphage posted:

yes! and his lil feathers at the bottom are reminiscent of abs lol

EXACTLY

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And avatar size...

Perfect!!!!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

https://i.imgur.com/DUdG9Wf.mp4

This ain't even her final form. If you think this is peak cuteness, you're off. This is average at best. We've had bathing sessions where she'll really get in the water and sort of waddle about with her wings splayed, sort of like a half swim half walk. That is peak cuteness. Especially when she looks up at you, it's that look of "I'm happy and also feel safe". Melts my heart.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 26, 2024

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Qubee posted:

https://i.imgur.com/DUdG9Wf.mp4

This ain't even her final form. If you think this is peak cuteness, you're off. This is average at best. We've had bathing sessions where she'll really get in the water and sort of waddle about with her wings splayed, sort of like a half swim half walk. That is peak cuteness. Especially when she looks up at you, it's that look of "I'm happy and also feel safe". Melts my heart.

:kimchi:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Grasp!

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame

Captain Log posted:

While browsing PI, you may or may not get a visit from the Illegally Chubby Fairy.

She may or may not be heavy enough to make my laptop screen fall backwards.

She's PI's own Chonkerbell.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

thought about serra and blue when i read this

quote:

According to the most recent estimates, about 16% of all wild bird species have been known to hybridize with one another; this number increases to 22% when captive hybrids are taken into account.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

mediaphage posted:

thought about serra and blue when i read this

sadly (?) cockatoos/tiels are far enough away from the rest of the parrot order that there's no chance of hybridization

I'm sure it won't keep them from trying though

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

sadly (?) cockatoos/tiels are far enough away from the rest of the parrot order that there's no chance of hybridization

I'm sure it won't keep them from trying though

oh sure i don't expect anything but it did make me chuckle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Does anyone else get that strong pang of emotion when their birds are asleep and you want them to be out and sitting nearby? It happens like once a week for me lol They're asleep right now and ever so slightly wishing they were out here causing mayhem