Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Qubee posted:

Does anyone else get that strong pang of emotion when their birds are asleep and you want them to be out and sitting nearby? It happens like once a week for me lol They're asleep right now and ever so slightly wishing they were out here causing mayhem

sometimes i look at pics of them when they’re sleeping lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I sweat to God, if a parakeet and cockatiel mated through some sort of dipshit-alchemy the spawn would be the most asinine animal on the planet.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Qubee posted:

Does anyone else get that strong pang of emotion when their birds are asleep and you want them to be out and sitting nearby? It happens like once a week for me lol They're asleep right now and ever so slightly wishing they were out here causing mayhem

I dont mind. It means they're not causing mayhem at least. They usually take a early afternoon nap and then will nap around later in the evening, sometimes in weird places. Our yellow one likes will just fall asleep splayed on my partners shoulder or on her breasts while she's laying down.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Captain Log posted:

I sweat to God, if a parakeet and cockatiel mated through some sort of dipshit-alchemy the spawn would be the most asinine animal on the planet.

Would you prefer a budgie-sized cockatiel or a cockatiel-sized budgie

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

DarkHorse posted:

Oh dear god, a budgie-sized cockatiel. I have met a large budgie (red-rumped parakeet) and he was terrifying

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pookah posted:

Oh dear god, a budgie-sized cockatiel. I have met a large budgie (red-rumped parakeet) and he was terrifying

what a pretty boy!!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Rainbow lorikeets might be close. Or galahs.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Captain Log posted:

While browsing PI, you may or may not get a visit from the Illegally Chubby Fairy.

She may or may not be heavy enough to make my laptop screen fall backwards.

I'm begging you both, from the bottom of my heart:

Please teach them to bellow "BEEFCAKE!!!"

TIA

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

mediaphage posted:

what a pretty boy!!

Wait 'til that adorable little fluffball is trying to gouge your eyes out because you accidentally picked up his 'girlfriend' and did a little dusting with her.

edit: After our extremely gentle, extremely beloved Cockatiel Looloo died, a friend of my father's offered us a hand-reared red-rumped parakeet called Noddy as a gift.
In retrospect. I think that guy just wanted that little savage out of his house.
Noddy was insane, he became obsessed with a yellow cloth duster, to the extent that anyone coming within 10 feet of the cloth got an enraged giant budgie flying right into their face. He'd try to land on your nose so that he could get a good attack angle on your eyes.
The hand-rearing only meant that he had no fear of humans, he regarded us as other birds, and RRPs are notoriously aggressive to other birds. The only way to get him to stop attacking was to physically grab him, plonk him on your knee and firmly preen him until he calmed down a bit.
We re-homed him in less than a month to someone with a hell of a lot more experience of 'difficult to live with' birds.
You know that weird thousand yard stare very hormonal birds get occasionally? - that was Noddy's base state.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 27, 2024

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

poor guy.

we were in the local parrot supply store and they have a number of birds they supposedly breed too (i'd be very investigative before i bought one). we went when they first opened and there were probably a dozen people who went in when the hour turned, more than a few dropping birds off for boarding.

dozens of parrots in the store, all screaming and talking and wanting to be friends and chat EXCEPT the adorable little bourkes, they were absolutely chill and half asleep despite the noise and crowd. i'd look at those if someone wants a friendly bird tbh, after making sure they weren't wild caught

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

DarkHorse posted:

Bird noob here but I think a Rosella would qualify as second one.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Wild rosellas are closer in size to a Serra sized cockatiel. But they can actually get quite big in captivity. My cousin had one that was a rescued baby that couldn't be released, and it grew into a whopper of a thing. It was about as big as an alexandrine.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

bee posted:

Wild rosellas are closer in size to a Serra sized cockatiel. But they can actually get quite big in captivity. My cousin had one that was a rescued baby that couldn't be released, and it grew into a whopper of a thing. It was about as big as an alexandrine.

The algorithm decided I needed a video of wild rosellas, I am now convinced they are giant budgies and I will die on this hill.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Oh God.

I heard Serra letting out some angry warks today, and she sub sequentially dropped three flight feathers from her left wing. Which means her flying, which the vet characterized as, "Ridiculously strong," is now a liability to her and everything is the condo.

She is now crash landing like a plane without gear. But boy howdy, she is somehow doing it.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
So she needs to hit harder when she's beating the air into submission?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

GoingPostal posted:

So she needs to hit harder when she's beating the air into submission?

I've said she flies like a fat kid running down stairs.

Now it's like a fat kid running up stairs, but the fat kid is prime Chris Farley.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I may have blown a raspberry at her, while preening, to get this prime Fluffenchop picture.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Have a triple post, my friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lgOoTI75Ts

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lady serra, countess chonk

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Absolutely delightful watching this meataxe of a birb getting taunted by a tiny blue nugget :3:

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

we will follow you around to every room
..just wanna see what's going on. Don't mind if I poop here

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Tux's newest phrase! He loves sitting on this windowsill and looking out over the world. Often corellas and cockatoos will fly past and he's eventually learned they're not actively hunting him so he's stopped freaking out when they make an appearance :xd:

https://youtube.com/shorts/fpTuZ1bJUVM?si=HJI6F2JtXZS3ODG5

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

bee posted:

Tux's newest phrase! He loves sitting on this windowsill and looking out over the world. Often corellas and cockatoos will fly past and he's eventually learned they're not actively hunting him so he's stopped freaking out when they make an appearance :xd:

:kimchi:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bee posted:

aw tux, good boy

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

HELLO BABY

she’s feeding so don’t want to disturb too much but the first egg is open and done with

you can see a tiny lil pink in the upper left just visible beneath her

bee
Dec 17, 2008

He's very much not a good boy at the moment :( He's solidly in birb teenager mode and he's been a lot more nippy and bratty as a result. Trying to get him to go back into his cage sometimes has become an ordeal! I work from home and he hangs with me for the majority of the day so he's not short on flight time, but he can sense those times where we are about to leave to go out for dinner or go drop my kid at school and he flies up on top of the cupboards and refuses to budge.

He's still a cute little brat and very clever but calling him a good boy is pushing it lol

bee
Dec 17, 2008

mediaphage posted:

HELLO BABY

she’s feeding so don’t want to disturb too much but the first egg is open and done with

Yay! Look at that floofy proud mumma :)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

captain log my spouse just asked me about serra because the blue chasing her video bubbled up into his youtube feed lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I can't imagine the little sounds

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

I can't imagine the little sounds

the absolute quietest little peeps

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

mediaphage posted:

HELLO BABY

OHMYGOD OHMYGOD OHMYGOD!!! :kimchi: I'm so excited! Yay!

mediaphage posted:

captain log my spouse just asked me about serra because the blue chasing her video bubbled up into his youtube feed lol

:stare:

: checks Youtube stats:

Good God the algorithm makes zero sense.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Just in case anyone needed any extra proof that cockatiels are silly, silly birds

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

hungry babby sounds

https://streamable.com/yrcv94

there's one egg left to go but there's a tiny lil hole where they've started external pipping!!

bee posted:

Just in case anyone needed any extra proof that cockatiels are silly, silly birds

:kimchi:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I like parrots

bee
Dec 17, 2008

mediaphage posted:

hungry babby sounds

https://streamable.com/yrcv94

there's one egg left to go but there's a tiny lil hole where they've started external pipping!!

Aaaaaaaa how many sweet babies are there? :3:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bee posted:

Aaaaaaaa how many sweet babies are there? :3:

on the way home from totality to find out! when we left there were four and an egg:

i think tomorrow will be 21 days so i expect it to open tomorrow

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

there. are. five. babies.

well, we think, anyway. lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I love a hideous naked shrimp baby.