Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

*stuffing live birds into a large sack with a bird drawn on the side while an old-timey cartoon soundtrack plays*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Magpolyamory

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Captain Log posted:

Terro for ants is supposed to be nontoxic to pets. We used it in our condo and had good success with it. Not perfect, but it did a good job until we eventually got a pest control person.

I was about to suggest this very thing, ants like to come into our kitchen after Oregon’s dry season starts and Terro in each set of cabinets is enough to make them start looking elsewhere after a bit. We’ve had parakeets for years now, and while they’re not particularly close to where the Terro goes just having it present hasn’t harmed them like some chemicals can.

There’s also an ant killer my mom used to make out of Borax, but I searched up the bicarb ant killer mentioned above and it seems easier to clean up residues of so I’m seconding that as well.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

By mass, there are more ants than any other form of life on Earth!

I love ants like I love all animals but feel no remorse killing them when needed.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Sometimes I really wish I had two enormous and very precisely mated shovels growing out of my face myself

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I can’t believe you would deny this bird a second pop-tart box, like some kind of cleanliness monster

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I’ve got a pair of scarlet-chested parakeets who allow us to live in the same house as them, and while they’re fine sharing millet and toys, the sister will absolutely bully the brother away from the food dish for hours while she chills fully inside of it, right after it’s refilled.

They’ve been living here for long enough that they’re on that line where both visibly would be ok with more direct interaction, right up until there’s a human finger in the cage that they could investigate and interact with. Then they’re both slightly too skittish, it’s loving adorable.

Soon, I hope!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

If I grew up to be a hyacinth macaw, I would be ok with it

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I house-sat for neighbors who had a couple of birds, including an African Gray who was older than I was, and the impression I got of what was just described as a smart but alien mind was strong enough to stick with me two decades later.

That bird was cool as gently caress in that she was ok with a strange teenager coming in to feed her but was Not Down with me trying to be her friend.

Someday when I’m raising fewer humans I’d maybe like to work up to caring for really big and smart birds.

In the meantime, we have become sort of an amateur home for disabled birds people who know us find on social media: we took in an English budgie who hatched out to a breeder with what our vet described as “the bird version of the rickets” several years ago and he lived for almost a year, as happily as we could make him (he was incredibly social and loved to climb/try to fly all over people, and would get sad if I left in the morning for work without whistling and chirping with him, I miss him every day), when the vet said she wouldn’t realistically expect him to live to be eight months old.

Some time later, somebody with a barn aviary posted a pair of scarlet-chested parakeet hatchlings who had come out with splayed legs on Facebook, and they eventually got to us. They had kept them for over a year and done all of the therapy stuff with the hatchlings which could be done to help them learn to compensate for their disability, but obviously they had to be separated and kept separated to avoid being murdered by their clutchmates and the rest of the aviary, and the folks were looking for a place for them. They’re in a cage on the wall of the room I’m posting from atm and while they’ll chirp with me and sometimes headbang, they’re decidedly Not Down with stepping up or chilling on my head grooming my hair while I play video games.

They’re very skittish and I am bad at taking pictures, but I managed to get this decent shot of The Boy about a week ago:

Our kids claim to have named them “Pretty Bird” and “Sister” but recently both said they weren’t committed to either of these bits so I’m just calling them The Boy and The Girl until I think of good paired names (this could take weeks or years so those might just be their names too, who knows).

It’s a minor victory in a conflict I’ve been losing which resulted in two cats named after foods (Ginger and Cupcake), anyway.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I need everyone in here to know that when a bird in a posted video chirps or squeaks I reflexively whistle back through my teeth like I do with my parakeets.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

SuperKlaus posted:

Thanks for the help thread. The female Sennie has a good new home, but not with me. No girls are gonna come between Sinbad and me.

It’s very hard for me to turn down an animal in need, even if I’ve got a place for them to go, I’m glad you were able to!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

*bird voice* I want to formally invoke Article IV of the Bird Charter

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Magpies are so fucken rad

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

The Electronaut posted:

My mad lad, Watson, got to come home today after over a week at the hospital. Weight is a touch low but he’s a ton better mood wise. He’s going back next week for an ultrasound on his internals but we are in a keep an eye on him and his weight mode.

pulling super hard for Watson

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I for one welcome our coming fluffy overlord 'Teilzilla in all of her awesome and terrifying glory

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I love them and I have blown them each a kissy. It's also really cute that one budgie can introduce the others to veggies.

All it really takes is one bird seeing another bird eating a thing, tiny-dinosaur jealousy and avarice does the rest! I loving love birds.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

holy poo poo hard same Pretzel, hard same (i'm not as cute though)

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I once kept a disabled budgie (hatched out for a breeder with the bird version of the rickets, they were just going to let him starve to death but somehow my partner found out about him through social media) and he took a lot of comfort and enjoyment from having an old smartphone playing the audio from long budgie-aviary videos. I don't think it would be cruel or disrespectful to try, for sure.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Sometimes you get a cat with a weird-shaped predator drive I guess? Clearly it’s a thing long-standing enough that they have bonded, but the cuteness barely outweighs how alarmed I am to see them together.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Personally I would not use any nonstick cookware for reasons other than keeping birds in the household. But, if I was going to, I would assume every one of the coatings will be harmful to smallish, fragile creatures unless the manufacturer at a minimum offers an explicit guarantee.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Prooooobably not avian flu then?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Very glad you and Pesto were able to get in to be seen.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

You went above and beyond to give a suffering animal a more-comfortable end, with love and companionship. It’s natural to want to have done more but you did so much for the little guy, Qubee.

You would have had to have been someone else living somewhere else with an avian vet, and then he would have hung around the refinery you didn’t work at for a few days before dying alone and cold in some hidden corner.

When I was very young we had a parakeet we got from another family who was moving for a few months, and he escaped. I can only hope he found someone like you, who took him in and cared for him as long as they could.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Oh my goodness

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Oh my goodness hiiiii

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Smart with their hearts! (we say this about our doofiest dog)

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Immediately surrender all financial, social, and political power to Squeak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Captain Log posted:

This, but any bread of parrot.

The images this conjured made my night, bless you.