Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I'm glad I saved this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Friend of mine took this amazing photo of him trying to put a hat on my birb when he was birdsitting for me a year ago.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

I AM NOW PART OF THE BIRD CRAZIES GANG.

Carry on.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

No, I just got the Bird Crazies gang tag. I still just have the one little jerk.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

subpar anachronism posted:

Oh, I'm positive he wants out of his cage. He wants to be out, and with us, but when he continued biting or screaming or gets vicious after being told no no and gently redirected, we've been returning him there for time out, as he'd much rather be out with us. Is there a better way to do this? I know he wants out of the cage, but if I give in to the screaming does it just encourage it? Often when he's mad he'll lunge at me when I come to get him out of the cage after he's been quiet a bit- what do I do then?

Is he fully flighted? Clipping our green cheek helped a lot with discipline because then we could just put her on the ground and ignore her pointedly whenever she bit/screamed directly in my earhole.

Alexis learned to pull my earplugs out and beep in my ear to get my attention.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

This is not what we meant by establishing dominance in the flock.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

My boyfriend says the reason our bird hates the vacuum cleaner is that all it ever does is eat things, such as her pellet-and-splinters collages she makes with such care and love. I think that's a pretty good reason.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Battle Pigeon posted:

Kweh? Like subpar said, Mochi is a GCC of the yellow-sided variety, which is the same as Inko

Ohtori isn't a subspecies, he's a Blue-throated conure, Pyrrhura cruentata, the biggest species in the genus Pyrrhura

I remember those but it wasn't me; I draw dumb griffons/portraits. It was either uglynoodles work or someone I can't remember the name of without Archives

Didn't you do this?

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Mochi is sitting on the back of my couch, napping on one foot, occasionally waking up enough to eat a little piece of feather casing he's preened off. Is this normal? Can it indicate some kind of vitamin deficiency? Is he just :potato:? Sorry for all the questions guys, the stuff on the web is kind of hit or miss and the last time we had a parrot larger than a cockatiel was when I was a small child.
e:when I brought him home the store people suggested I add this to his pellets (they had him on a diet of all pellets with some occasional white rice). He gets fresh fruit and veg chop twice a day now in addition to his pellets but the extra vitamins won't hurt him right? Is there a better brand I could be buying?
https://ca-en.hagen.com/prime

Also, is there a way to figure out how much he should be getting to eat per day based on his weight? Right now I offer him fresh food first thing in the morning, pellets a few hours later, fresh again midafternoon and then pellets again at dinnertime.

Jelly of y'alls velcrobirbs. He'll be scritched endlessly but is not much of a cuddler. Maybe he'll grow into it. (lol)

He's probably fine nutritionally, if you're doing all that. He might just be intrigued by the texture. I wouldn't worry about it unless he shows other signs of illness.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Yeah, we live in a loft studio apartment, so the only place to put Alexis when her screaming got too intense was in the bathroom, with no windows or anything. It worked, though, but it wasn't ideal and that was one of the many reasons I felt we weren't going to be able to get her incessant yelling down to an acceptable level in our current living situation, which is pretty much permanent without renovating the place.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Princess Fuckface gets really concerned about when we're splashing around in the sink (such as doing dishes) and suddenly my field of vision is photobombed with a very puffed up conure posturing at me/the water. She hasn't gone for the eyes yet...

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

She's dead and it's my loving fault. She was looking a little off all weekend and I postponed my appointment because she looked better on Sunday. I'm sorry Archer. I'm sorry Ellie. :smith:

poo poo. I'm so sorry. It's so hard to tell with birds because even if they look a little off, it could just be they're having a bad molt or being in a bad mood or a little chilly. I've been lowkey freaking out for the last couple weeks because it's molting season and what if my bird's skin infection came back and all her feathers are falling out again???!!! Now I'm extra paranoid.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Training your husband is gonna be really big. We got through GCC puberty by getting very very consistent with the training. She actually vacillated between us for who was her favorite person/the devil incarnate because one or the other of us would slip up and become the Good Cop in her eyes.

Anyway, I'm a stubborn jerk and I dealt with my bird's cage aggression by just being stubborn and letting her bite me. Ain't no bird gonna stop me from cleaning that water dish.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

We've bought an Amazon Alexa, and we promptly have started calling her Alexis, so we're back to yelling ALEXIS STOP. At least this Alexis plays something other than the BEEP BEEP channel.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Tofu Terry posted:

So yeah. Not sure if I should expand my search for duskies or just focus on birds that I click with in person. I'm leaning towards the latter, since I have a home with a lot of space and I'm partially deaf (high noise tolerance).

You know, duskies are the quietest of the aratingaaahaahahaahahahahaha sorry I couldn't keep a straight face

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

I mean, Alexis was certainly aggressively affectionate.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

It's okay! We all want to know if he's doing okay. When my green cheek was sick for the first time, I heated the room to 78ish and kept her snuggled against my skin all day. I took two days off from classes and offered her the best treats every hour or two so I knew she was eating. Unfortunately this meant she went off her pellets because why eat pellets when you could have hand-fed millet whenever you want?? rear end in a top hat.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

gently caress, I was hoping it was better news when I opened the thread. My condolences.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Weighed him this afternoon and he's so small; just 61.5g. Not looking any smaller than usual but isn't that way on the low end for a gcc?

It's on the low side, but I wouldn't worry unless it's a sudden change. It really is just on the low side, like some people are on the low side of weight for a human without being starving, nothing to worry about. Keep weighing him to see if he changes.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Hahahahaa, the good old "oh wow the towel released me, guess everything is normal now!" trick

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Shirec posted:

Reading some older threads and saw this posted

http://i.imgur.com/K20mTgi.webm
:allears:

edit: Although I'm hoping that would never seriously hurt a bird

Something about birdie betrayal just always tickles me.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

learnincurve posted:

Yes you should - UK advise the same precautions for foot and mouth. Basically if you have been outside assume anything you are wearing could be infected, (someone else could have stepped in the poop, and then you step where they have stepped). The basic precautions are; disinfect the bottom of your shoes as you walk in, take your coat off at the door and then disinfect your hands. Make sure all visitors do the same and no visitors to touch your birds or touch anything your bird might touch.

An awesome simple way to disinfect shoes when you come inside is to have a big container (like the kind you wash dishes in) just inside the door with an inch or so of disinfectant in it and some astroturf. You can just step into it and squish your foot around a bit to knock off the dirt on the soles of your shoes. Change the disinfectant every couple days. It's how they prevent contamination at zoos behind the scenes - everyone entering just cleans their shoes as they come in to the holding areas, and then again before leaving. Be sure to be consistent with it though, because if you track in bird germs all over your floor then it doesn't matter how much you disinfect your shoes until you clean it up. Probably a good idea to start mopping consistently too.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Apparently this happened at a craft beer festival in Melbourne last January.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

We haven't tried to do anything about it, mostly because she can tell when we are trying to train her, and will very rarely cooperate once she realizes what's going on, with rare exceptions in cases of "I really want some cashew that badly."

Oh my god my GCC does the same thing. We've made a breakthrough with trust-building and papaya bits, but it's still hit and miss.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

GoldStandardConure posted:

they are probably likely to chuck a wobbly

This is now entering my vocabulary.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Yeah, the advantage to the Apple keyboards is that their silicone covers (I call them keyboard condoms) are heavier than other brands. The day my bird discovered keys come off keyboards was a fun one. She hasn't figured out how to push back the cover to get to the delicious crumb-filled keys thankfully.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

PNW birdgoons, remember that bird hoarding bust in Oregon back in July-ish with the hundreds of birds seized from terrible conditions? Well now there's a bunch of birds up for adoption on their website, which I assume are coming out of quarantine! They are likely to not be very well socialized, but omg birds. There's even a Patagonian conure!!!

http://www.oregonhumane.org/adopt/?type=small

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Also this extremely ridiculous cockatiel named Hackysack.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

I found a link! It's a bit sad, because the kookaburra is quite out of it at first, and also alarming because jfc that sure is an air compressor.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1389957/Amazing-moment-man-performs-CPR-kookaburra.html

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Amadeus is so photogenic!

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

It's like having any other delicate possession - you have to keep the kid separated from bird until the kid has a concept of self-control and how to touch things gently. Also you can get your bird tested for the one disease they can transmit to us (a form of chlamydia!) but honestly in the grand scheme of things a baby can put in its mouth, a scrap of parrot poop is on the gross but safer end compared with, say, cat poop... their own poop... poisonous stuff on the ground like cigarette butts...

Source: lived in a house with bird and friend's baby until they 1. brought the bird near the baby and baby got bitten, bird was safe thank god because a 10 month old baby does not know how to not just grab and squeeze stuff and 2. they said the bird had to go live in the windowless and personless basement because of it. I moved out a couple weeks later because gently caress that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

That just screams "in the process of inheriting my parents' animal hoard" :(