Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Can I feed a Senegal parrot any insects?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm too close to ag land to trust the wild bugs not to have pesticide build up and stuff. I kinda meant pet store bugs anyway. I'll post some pics of the little shrieking avocado soon. Is any image host preferred over another? I've never posted a pic to forums from mobile.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Alright let's see if I did this right. I have several more pictures if this works.

This my avocado Sinbad. It is very hard to get a picture where his feathers aren't ruffled because as soon as he notices a camera he goes starry-eyed and dearly wants to get up in it.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 24, 2019

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the praise. He'd love to know. Here are more pictures illustrating how it's tough being his agent when he won't pose for a headshot right.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Captain Log posted:

Before and After, Birb Consequences Edition -

Before : Stop it, Serra. You're going to get cream cheese beak!

After : Serra, you got cream cheese beak. Don't put your crest up, this is your fault.

This is familiar...

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Haha actually I meant the phenomenon of sticking one's beak in goopy food and then getting confused about it.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sinbad is 25. I've known him since he was a hatchling. Far as I can tell I've kept him healthy. Awful lot of those 90 years of avocado shrieking left...

Peanut butter treat

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 30, 2019

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
smh if u dont kiss birb

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

The last thing a zucchini ever sees.

he didn't like it

Really? Were they cooked? My Senegal loves zucchini if (and only if) it is uncooked.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is he reallllllly selective about freshness like someone I know?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sinbad takes a dump promptly upon being uncovered every morning. It makes me feel bad if I'm late getting to him because I assume he's holding in a monster turd and waiting. That's my sleep ritual story. Thanks for listening.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Agent355 posted:

Oh my god.

Literally what I said right after seeing that

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
What's your favorite way to post those video clips to the forum from mobile? I have a couple of this guy.

He had an oatmeal breakfast with me and got an "oatee."

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
poo poo drat it I just fed my Senegal a small piece of fettuccine noodle that had some Alfredo sauce on it I am now told contained shallot. It was a very, very thin amount of sauce on maybe a quarter inch noodle I swear. No chunks of shallot or anything in what he got. I'll be watching him like a hawk. What signs might he display if something goes wrong?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
OK thanks. I've kept the little bastard alive 25 years and I'm going to see it through.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Y'all kidding me if Sinbad outlives me he ain't outliving me y'hear my will's gonna have him in a little golden sarcophagus next to mine like the pharoahs did (yeah I want a golden sarcophagus). Or at least like the Simpsons anyway...

(He's totally fine after the shallot sauce scare btw)

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Those pictures were adorable. Condolences, but at least you have a lot of good things to remember.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sinbad and I are amazed and relieved to discover that other Senegals get the "bird screen of death" and enjoy hanging upside down.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
*ksht* Explorer to base. I've found the ruins. They look empty *ksht*

Wait...something's moving inside.

Is that...? No, it can't...

My word! Base, I've spotted...

Good Lord! It sees me!

It's coming this way! Base, I *ksht crackle*

*Silence*

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

:laffo:

Parrot intelligence is such a double-edged sword for them though. There are times when mine are expressing their needs/wants to me super clearly and I'm like yeah I get it, only I don't want to let you do that, so the signaling just gets more and more desperate and flashier and flashier because they don't get that I get it and I'm saying no, they seem to think I'm just dumb as a rock

I think they're Machiavellian geniuses. Sinbad dances the stately quadrille daily like 18th century France: today, we're enemies and he loves my housemate. Later today we are besties and my girlfriend gets growls. Tomorrow we again strive for dominance and chirping overtures go to whoever isn't me. Such a tangled web of diplomacy takes smarts.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

you are diabolical

and I am hungry

Hey when your Senegal gets real mad at u does it bite its own legs / feet? I can't get a picture of Sinbad doing it right now because he moves pretty fast but he is really telling me off right now and I'll regret what I did when he's a footless cripple!

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
"I'm a POLITICAL PRISONEEERRRRRR!"

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sinbad's grooming my hair but I can't get a picture or he'll notice and it's YOU DIED for me.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I side with the advice that a conure-type parrot isn't well-suited to an owner that works full-time and lives alone. However, over my years with Sinbad, there have been periods where we've lived like that. It helps a lot to do things like setting up his cage where he has a view of the world outside, I think.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tsaedje posted:

This can't go un-crossposted :3:

What's the sparkling adoring anime eyes emoji?

A friend of mine visiting once said "Sinbad's almost always making noise." I didn't even notice but I was kind of staggered to think it would bother anyone. He is almost perpetually chirping or something but screams aside I think it's all cute.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm working hard on getting Sinbad to say "doot doot doo" like that bird. He cocks his head at attention every time I do it so I think progress is being made.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Pookah posted:

Pookie does big lip-smacking, open-mouth chewing sounds when she's either happy with what she's eating or suggesting that you give her some of what YOU are eating.

It's a little disturbing.

Sinbad does the same thing. You're eating and making lip smacks, so if he's making lip smacks, maybe he'll get to be eating too. It's sound borblogic.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sinbad's being a pill while I'm trying to change his papers and it occurs to me that Untitled Parrot Game would be a killer sequel.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sinbad learned a long time ago to shout my name as he noticed my parents would shout it and I'd appear soon after. Do you suppose his flock call for me is just that then?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Charlie knows my actual name too! He will use it in varying tones of voice -- YELL to get me back in the room, whine if I'm ignoring him, gentle murmur if he's just enjoying my company. I respond pretty promptly to it since I enjoy that he uses it, but occasionally if I'm stoically ignoring him he'll try out "Baby!" instead, which is what Ama uses. :lol:

drat smooth operators, those two.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

subpar anachronism posted:

...it's weird if I just eat the bird treats isn't it

Hey, one of the neat features of parrot ownership is how what's healthy for them and what's healthy for you has like 90% overlap. Lots of bird treats are just healthy fruit and seeds. You remember those nostalgic Americana paintings of boys sharing ice cream cones with dogs? That's me but the ice cream is mashed potato and the dog is Sinbad. I take a lick, he takes a lick, I take a lick, etc.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
We doing roll call?

Sinbad's 25, still here in 2020, still wondering A) what I am eating and B) why he isn't getting a cut.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

HEY GUNS posted:

absolutely no idea, i just love budgies

You make good posts. Anyone ever tell you that?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well that might strictly speaking be for the birding thread but I for one fuckin' love owls and welcome the post. Pics next time!

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
He doesn't want Christmas to end.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Not lovebirds, but lovebirds.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

WHOAH. A shoe!

Hmmm...a shoe.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I did not learn when they found the millet earlier.

He's in the goddamn bag!

You've killed me. I'm dead.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Give me that feather touch please.

Also that bird collecting job looks so cool. I knew someone once who helped save a colony of burrowing owls from a development as a volunteer project. They saved the owls by literally grabbin' 'em and dropping them in wild space a few acres away. My friend had some really entertaining pictures of her plucking owls from the dirt like Mario 2 vegetables...I'll see if she can't send me one for posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Love that comfy bird.