Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

joyfulgirl129 posted:

using Filthy Farmgirl poochie soap

I didn't know this existed, and now I know what I'm getting my sister for her birthday :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

My stepdad hangs out with a lot of salt water swimmers, since he did triathlons for a while, and several of them advocated just washing with conditioner after a swim to get the salt out. Most conditioners meant for humans still contain detergents, just less so than shampoos. Not sure if dog conditioners are the same, or if there is a human conditioner with detergents that is safe and good to use on dogs.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

You could always try putting a nice-smelling sachet inside his bed, if he has a bed that he likes to snooze in. That way he gets freshened up a bit when he's napping :)

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Kerfuffle posted:

What kind of brush is best for a short haired cat? We have a furminator and it's great- but my mom is afraid of using it (kind of understandable I guess). So what's best for regular brushing to help decrease shedding? Options seem to be slicker brushes, zoom groom type things and metal combs.

Not a groomer, but I've always found that the best brush for our cats is a regular people brush. A densely-packed flat brush with natural bristles does a great job collecting loose hair, and they love the way it feels. I have a big square one that I bought to use on my own hair, but didn't like, and my husband adopted it for the kitties.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Do you guys have a recommendation for a good shampoo for a dry, flaky coat? I know with dry skin I don't want to overwash, but I would like to give Vastra a bath and I want to make sure I'm using shampoo that won't make the problem worse.

Also, is there any benefit to leave-in conditioners? They're all marketed as detanglers and her fur is too short for that to be a concern.

The vet did a skin scrape and determined it's not mites, so we're hoping she's just prone to dry skin and a combo of diet and supplements will make her coat nice and lush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Both the hair and the skin seem dry. I can't get a good picture that really shows what's going on. She's not greasy feeling at all, in fact her hair feels super dry and brittle to the touch, and has rubbed off almost completely under her collar. She has a lot of hair loss overall, but that's fairly common in track dogs so I'm waiting to see if it worsens or not. The flakes brush away easily, but are always back a few hours later. It's a bit like dandruff.

The vet and I did discuss supplements, and he recommended fish oil. I've been doing a little olive oil with her dinner, and I ordered a pump bottle of liquid fish supplement since I hate dealing with capsules.

I might do the oatmeal shampoo and that first conditioner Wolfenstein suggested, then give it a while to see if the combo of diet+bath+supplements makes a difference. The vet said he wants to wait before doing any other tests, but that it's entirely possible she has something medical going on. It's not mites for sure, but it could be something like thyroid issues (although she is very young for it to be any of those things).

• Locked thread