Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

JPrime posted:

Ugh I just want to make a decision I feel comfortable with so I can stop fretting.

What, if anything, is the difference between these 2 Vizio's, they have slightly different model numbers but that's all I'm seeing (other than price):

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E551i-A...ywords=vizio+tv
http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E550i-A...ywords=E550i-A0

Here's the official specs:
http://store.vizio.com/e550ia0.html
http://store.vizio.com/e551ia2.html

The backlight type is different, though I'm not sure what that really means. There's a few other slight differences in there as well. Weight and dimensions being one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

JPrime posted:

I found those pages as well, thanks...I think I am going to go w/ the M-series one, they have it on Costco.com for a bit cheaper overall than Amazon, even. This is the first time I've bought a TV and cared this much about it (hooray for new houses).

Note that if you have Prime, there's an extra discount on those TVs that isn't reflected in the list price. $20 and $30, respectively.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Between those two I'd pay the extra 20 for a third HDMI port. 2 just doesn't cut it for me these days, especially with the Chromecast taking up one.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

edit: ^^^^ I'm going to be trying like crazy to get this because it looks like a great price. I expect it to be sold out in five seconds though.

Ugh, what is it with Samsung and Panasonic only putting 2xHDMI on their "cheap" models? Even the cheapest house brand TVs have 3 or 4 it seems.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Chuu posted:

I realize this, but I'm not looking for HD content. What I'm trying to do essentially is somehow have 16:9 be the default aspect ratio (and letterbox 4:3 content) instead of 4:3 be the default aspect ratio (and letterbox 16:9 content). Then I can just set my TV to 16:9 and not have anything be distorted due to aspect ratio.

I don't know if this is letterboxed by the decoder or if it's letterboxed before it hits the decoder. If it's the former then I'm hoping there is some way involving cable cards or a different comcast box that could fix this.

I'm more concerned with 16:9 cable channels like ESPN.

You can't switch your TV to Zoom1 and leave it there? That's what I did when I was stuck without a cable box. I would have to switch it back for 4x3 content, but most channels I watched had it letterboxed.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I played my 360 on a 4x3 CRT until 2011, and games were always made with the ratio in mind. Usually it meant HUD elements were pushed in toward the center. I'm sure that was part of Microsoft and Sony's requirements to publish a game on their systems. The big issue was that as the years went on, games had smaller and smaller text that was impossible to read on 480i. There was a big outcry when Dead Rising was released because in 2006 most people didn't have HDTVs and the text was hard to read. Now there are tons of games like that, and it's the main reason I eventually got a new TV.

And I still watch a bunch of stuff in 4X3 because Charter doesn't offer HD versions of lots of channels. Thankfully most channels will do letterboxing and I can just zoom in, but some still have 4X3 content.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

Just got a Vizio E550i-B2 today from Amazon, and I've been playing with it for the past few hours. I really love this TV, the picture quality is great, the bezel is tiny and it's surprisingly light at 33 lbs. For $678 this is a pretty awesome set.

So I take it this is the model to buy if I want a 55+ inch TV for less than $700 and don't want to wait till the end of the year? When do new models from the other brands start to come out?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I posted this in the Video Questions thread, before realizing that thread hadn't been touched since April. So I'll just repost it here:

I have Time Warner for my TV, and I recently got annoyed with my 7 year old cable box being noisy and hot even while turned off. They said there is a "greener" box, but it doesn't have HDMI. Aside from the fact that I'm baffled as to why my options are either HDMI or electricity hog in the goddamn year 2014, Component cable aren't going to give me any worse of a signal for regular HD TV viewing, right?

Surely Time Warner isn't still giving out boxes from 2007? I can't believe they don't have a new tiny box like every other cable company.

But yeah, component is fine for cable. I actually hook up with component just to free up an HDMI port on my TV.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Well, my parents have had the box since like 2007 or so, and my choice was either stick with it or use the newer HDMI-less box. So I don't know what the gently caress they're doing.

In that case I can't believe they don't have a new box with HDMI. It makes me think the rep you talked to was just confused.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I just got a Vizio e480i-b2 and it's extremely unresponsive to remote functions. Like arrowing up and down in menus, adjusting volume, and changing inputs. I know smart tvs have notoriously lovely interfaces but shouldn't it be able to do basic functions without hitching?

Using different remotes doesn't help and nothing is blocking the sensor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

kri kri posted:

Looking for a tv for my girlfriends place to use with a ps4/chromecast. I would much prefer to get it at costco, opinions on these sets? I don't know anything about JVC but this seems like a good deal.

JVC EM55FTR - http://www.costco.com/.product.100103365.html

Vizio E480i-B2 - http://www.costco.com/Vizio-48%22-Class-1080p-120Hz-Smart-LED-HDTV-E480i-B2.product.100100168.html

I have that Vizio and it looks really nice for the price. The interface is sluggish and there's some quirks with it (stupidly narrow IR cone, only one button on the TV). There's not much lag in game mode. Overall I'm very pleased with my purchase.

And since you mentioned Chromecast, it's worth noting that that TV will actually show up as a device you can cast to. I know that works with Youtube and Netflix, at least. So you can "cast" to the TV and it will open the video in one of the native apps. It doesn't work as slick as an actual Chromecast but it was good enough that I put my Chromecast on another TV. Also, it will automatically switch if you cast to the TV, but you have to manually switch inputs if you cast to a Chromecast plugged in to it.