Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Looking to get my first TV since...more than 10 years ago. Budget is around 1000 but I can spend more if there's a really good reason to. I'm in a small apartment but that could change so bigger is better I guess. Is https://www.costco.com/Samsung-55%22-Class-(54.6%22-Diag)-4K-SUHD-LED-LCD-TV-UN55KS800DFXZA.product.100290949.html really $300 better than https://www.costco.com/Samsung-60%22-Class-(60.1%22-Diag.)-4K-Ultra-HD-LED-LCD-TV-UN60KU630DFXZA.product.100295059.html despite being 5" smaller? Also, can anyone who has one tell me how deep the legs are? My TV stand isn't super deep and I'm worried that leg styling might not fit anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Adding to my post up there ^ - I see lots of people in the last 10 pages talking about Super Bowl sales coming up but I don't see any good sales advertised. Looking to pick up a 65" KS8000 but it's still $1,500 everywhere as usual. Anyone know of good sales going on this weekend?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

There were people a few pages back talking about getting the K8000 for like 1100 or something.

Also that LG price seems too good to be true. Anyone bought a TV from eBay before? Worth losing 10" for OLED at the same price?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Guys and gals, I got the KS8000 and it's blowing me away. The last 'nice' TV I had was a massive Mitsubishi 720p DLP like ten years ago and man how things have changed. Thanks all, I'm in viewing heaven.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Maybe a super dumb question, but I got a little optical -> analog converter box to be able to use my headphones with the KS8000, but I can't control the volume with my TV remote anymore. Is optical out always a fixed signal? I'm getting super annoyed that it's nearly impossible to watch TV with headphones in 2017.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

So the only options are to get a receiver or just pick up a pair of bluetooth headphones I guess. Anyone use BT headphones with the KS8000? Does it work fine?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I got a Bluetooth headphone adapter for my KS8000. How do I turn off the white circle that flashes on the left side of the screen every three seconds that tells me my TV volume is off?

Edit: nevermind. It went away when I changed back to TV sound then back to Bluetooth.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

Is anyone's KS8000 dropping internet? Mine has done it twice so far. My wifi works perfectly, except on the TV. No amount of screwing with the settings works. I tried setting manual IP and DNS and all that. I have to unplug the power from the TV and plug it back it to get it back, which is a pain in the rear end since I have it wall mounted.

Yep. Just got mine last week and it's dropping internet almost every day. I just said screw it and plugged in the LAN cable.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

KS8000 YouTube app stopped working all of the sudden. It just hangs on a black screen. Ideas?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

YouTube suddenly started working again, now HBO Now doesn't. It tells me "You must sign in to your Samsung account to use this feature" and when I click sign in it says "Unable to connect to the Samsung server. Please update your TV's software to solve this problem. (172)" - I am on the most recent software version.

This is the third major software issue I've had in the two weeks I've had this TV and it's really starting to piss me off. Any ideas about this one?

Edit: Samsung support just had me reset back to factory. Sigh. I hope I don't have to do this every two weeks.

What the gently caress. Now when I try to sign in it says my password must be between 6-15 characters, and mine is longer (I can use it to sign into my Samsung account here: https://account.samsung.com/membership/service/getServieInfoList.do ) but I can't enter it in this god forsaken UI.

Edit 2: Samsung support says I have to change my password to something shorter. This is a goddamn joke.

Also, my wireless internet connection to the TV still isn't working.

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 1, 2017

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

More KS8000 technical bullshit. Are HBO Now closed captions working for anyone else? I turn them on...nothing. Looked online, other people having the same issue. Any solutions?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Yeah I got the latest firmware update. I can't find a place to update individual apps (note: I don't know if closed captioning ever worked. Just tried it for the first time last night)

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Good call about using a PS4. Subtitles on HBO Now, no grey screen of death on YouTube. Great.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Am I crazy or are there no HBO apps for LG TVs? Got my mom a new TV and she wants HBO now but it doesn't seem to exist.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

bull3964 posted:

No, LG WebOS doesn't have HBO Go or HBO Now.

What a bummer. Have to do Apple TV or Roku or something then. What's the cheapest option?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I may have asked here long ago but it’s bothering me again: my KS8000 brightness keeps fluctuating even in almost entirely static scenes. This is most pronounced during Netflix 4K content (and never happens when playing games). I have ALL image correction and Eco settings off - dynamic contrast, etc. Absolutely every single setting that can be toggled is off. Customer support was no help and hours of browsing AV forums just led to other users with the same issue. Is there anything I can do besides selling it and getting a new TV? It ranges from distracting to completely unbearable. I’m happy to take a video if it seems like I’m crazy.

Edit: it’s most pronounced when white subtitles appear in a dark scene so it’s obviously some sort of hidden local auto-brightness setting.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

serebralassazin posted:

I have this TV. Are you watching HDR videos? That sounds like it could be the brightness adjusting in HDR scenes. I think I've seen it referred to as brightness breathing on AVS. It can be annoying sometimes.

I don’t think so. Is Netflix HDR?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Ok, I do pay for 4K and I notice it most prominently in Haunting on Hill House

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

teh_Broseph posted:

HDTVtest just did a video on (one of?) the 2018 LG OLEDs that did that same HDR slow transiton thing and they had to fix it with a firmware update. Another vid from a few weeks before was him showing the issue and he put in a big warning that if it's not bugging you not to watch it cause then you'll start noticing it. I've seen it on my KS8000 too and yeahhh I just try and ignore it, bah.

This is sad to hear. It totally ruins a lot of shows for me - it’s so distracting that I can’t even focus on the dialog.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I’m starting to think about an upgrade for my Samsung KS8500.

The things that are bothering me are:
- Ridiculously slow and unresponsive UI
- Constantly losing pairing with my BT headphones
- Optical audio out to soundbar just doesn’t work sometimes
- Brightness fluctuation (when subtitles appear, the whole screen gets way brighter)

Is there a good OLED TV with a decently snappy UI?
I’d be using it for streaming 4K content and PS5 games.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

My Samsung is definitely haunted. Occasionally it just forgets that it has a soundbar connected and I need to do the complete setup from scratch. Also, many times, my down volume button works but not the up. And it also forgets my bluetooth headphone connection every so often. I can't believe how unreliable it all i.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Man I wish the C2 was out already. I want to play Horizon and Elden Ring on an OLED.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

Yeah tried that too. Internal speakers on the TV work fine, but the soundbar isn't putting out anything and the tv is giving me the "X" symbol when I try to turn up/down the volume during the hdmi arc setting. I'm going to swap the cable and see if that's the issue.

That happens to me every few months. I get frustrated, disconnect and reconnect it multiple times, and then randomly it just starts working after 20 minutes or an hour. It's mystifying and annoying. So I guess just try being patient?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

speaking of mounting over fireplaces, I just bought a house and I am going to mount over a comparatively small electric fireplace, so the TV will still be at eye level. I've been using a Sonos playbase for a while but obviously this won't work with a mounted TV. What do people do for speakers when mounting? Get a pair of standing floor speakers and a sub?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Does anyone here have a C2 yet? Worth the extra money over a C1? This would be my first OLED.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Looking for a TV to play Dance Dance Revolution - I will be connecting my MacBook via HDMI and the only requirement is low as possible input lag. Bigger is better, and it does not need to be 4k or have any sorts of bells or whistles. I don't really care if it's a TV or a monitor or whatever.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I know absolutely nothing about wall mounting. If I wall mount my Samsung 65" KS8000 and later get a same size LG C1/C2, can I reuse the wall mount or do I have to install something completely new? What if I get a 77" C1/C2?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I just wall-mounted my TV and I’d like a cabinet to put a receiver/Switch/PS5 and help hide cords a bit. I have a fireplace underneath so it’s be something smaller that goes off to the side. Any recommendations?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Does the C1/C2 have anything similar to the Samsung OneConnect box where you only need one wire running to the TV itself? Or do I need to have some fancy wiring setup for mounting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

My Samsung KS6000 finally bit the dust. It rapidly powers on and off - some quick searching says this is terminal.

What's the hot TV these days? Looking for probably 75", no budget. Mostly Netflix and some PS5.